Oustalet's - Anyone have thoughts?

Jesspete

Avid Member
We picked a juvenile male up at a local show, on a whim. The vendor identified him as Oustalet's. Not much info out there on them. Just wondering if anyone here has any interesting sources about them. He's not very fancy, but he's a cool dude.

Oustalets aren't a super common chameleon in the hobby, but I believe @jannb keeps one! She may have some resources to suggest for you.

What I do know, however, is that you have purchased one of the largest chameleon species available. You'll want to be ready to offer him an enclosure that is appreciably larger than the 2x2x4 ones that we use for our panthers and veileds

Yes, I do know that they are one of the largest. He's still the size of probably a six month old chameleon, maybe a little larger. We are actually furniture shopping now, so we can do a custom enclosure. I'd like to do something similar in size to a china cabinet.

That's going to have to be a very large china cabinet.
Aren't china cabinets, in general very large? Lemme find a picture of what I'm imagining, perhaps I'm calling it the wrong thing. What we've been looking at, the top portions, that we would rework with screen, are generally three to four feet tall, and maybe six to eight feet wide. My issue thus far is either finding some furniture that is deep enough, or not butt ugly. Ideally, I'd like to find something the shape of a gun cabinet, where the cabinet portion is smaller, and the top is taller, but I'd like it to be nice and wide like a china cabinet. Lemme go find a reference photo, make sure I'm not being a dunce.

3794472ae4cecf3d603bb396a1186b42.jpg

That's more along the lines of what I pictured. My concern with a piece like this is the depth. Perhaps I can find a good armoire/cabinet type thing that has the depth, height and width. May just have to sucker my brother into helping me with a custom build. We have plenty of space for a huge enclosure. We have a huge room that is really separate from the main living area of the house. I could almost give him a whole corner and screen two "floating walls".

I am not, but I was looking at pictures of your very detailed build plans, and I'm still quite jealous.
If you have Sketch-Up, take my plans and alter them to your needs! That way, you’ll have the exact dimensions and a 3D guide when you go to build it!

@jannb Would love for you to chime in.

I'm in Atlanta, but as I'm brainstorming and looking at furniture enclosures, I searched "Big enclosures" and came across this one. I believe it's on your porch. Think it would work indoors? Of course, I'd have to add some things to the inside for lights and misting. Floor in the extra room is tile, so water on the floor can be controlled, if drainage gets messy. I'm in Atlanta, so a cham couldn't stay outside all the time here. This HAS to be big enough for an Oustalet's, wouldn't you think?

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 66
Thank you. That's what the vendor told me, but always good to double check. I'm still nervous about free range of the entire room, have others had luck with it?

On the Advanced Chameleon Caging group on Facebook, someone took two 30” by 30” by 72” enclosures from DIY Cages and joined them together for his Parsons. You could do something like that, also.

On the Advanced Chameleon Caging group on Facebook, someone took two 30” by 30” by 72” enclosures from DIY Cages and joined them together for his Parsons. You could do something like that, also.

I'll go join the group and see if I can find the post. Thanks! Buddy is at work with me today, we have a vet's appointment at 2:40, but had to come to work for awhile first.

I'll go join the group and see if I can find the post. Thanks! Buddy is at work with me today, we have a vet's appointment at 2:40, but had to come to work for awhile first.
It’s in the comments section of one the most recent posts

Back
Top Bottom