Epic Parsonii Enclosure: Part 1

Better shots, but still a ways to go, before being finished.

Attachments

• IMG_2145.JPG
    IMG_2145.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_2146.JPG
    IMG_2146.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 361
How's the exhaustion? It's paying off, looks wonderful, what many can only dream of, can't imagine what it will look like when they've grown in a bit but looking so great! I'm jealous!
I checked out poly film, like Mylar? Why did you choose that, weight ? But also is it because when it gets dulled with mist spray scale I guess you can just cut it out and apply new? Interesting idea using it.
Looking forward to the next instalment! :)

Fatshedera is an intergeneric cross between Hedera ( English ivy ) and Fatsia japonica. That is just a Fatsia. I'm not sure what the loquat-like plant you saw is, but if it's smaller and planted below the taller canopy, it's a Miracle fruit.

I used Polyester film, because screen lets mist escape out the doors and realeases humidity. I use Reverse Osmosis water, so deposits are not an issue. This film is also supposed to be stable and not yellow or dull, though I know that is often claimed and never true. It's easily replaced for minimal cost, compared to the other options out there.

There's not much more that has happened. I got half the mist system installed and tossed some of @Venutus1 's Jungle Dawn spots on the female's side, because I took the mister out of the old enclosure and most of the lights, so they have to hang out in that 8' section until Friday, because I have to work and won't have time to install the drip irrigation, rest of the lights, and finish things off until then. I likely will be into next week installing the vines, branches, and epiphytes, because I also work Sat, Sun, and Mon. I am exhausted and this cage as throughly kicked my butt! The doors or on and you can see just how natural and amazingly bright those Jungle Dawns are. That's not even half of the eventual lighting though.

Attachments

• IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 276
I free range those and ill free range mantises and moths, just not roaches. My parsons don't love hornworms and silkworms, though. The both go nuts for the moths.

Some time has passed and I've added a few more vines. I had to have 2 unexpected surgeries and life stuff happened, so I never got the epiphytes mounted, but I hope to do this week.
Some things I have changed are swapping the 16 T5 bulbs for 12 T8 bulbs, for less heat and better coverage, as the 6 tube fixtures I have give a much wider broadcast of light than the dual tube T5 fixtures. I am running 4 LED retrofits in each T8 fixture and 12% Arcadia lights.
I've also added some MegaRay Mercury Vapor bulbs to provide UVB in the middle levels of the dense foliage, where parsons tend to stay most.
I added some 75 watt Halogens for basking as well.
I recently purchased a 9 disc ultrasonic fogger and a remote security camera system, which I am endeavoring to install asap.
Here are the most current shots of the enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_2648.JPG
    IMG_2648.JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2649.JPG
    IMG_2649.JPG
    409.5 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2645.JPG
    IMG_2645.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 273
Originally, they were to support climbing plants, but my imagination is always larger than the space. Now, there are some vining plants that just have yet to vine, but they also make mounting branches and securing vines much easier. They may serve as places to hang plaque mounted plants, at a later date, as well. They break up the white background and soften the look, although the may appear out of place, as the plants fill in, you'll see much less of lattice, and much less of the white walls. They are plastic, as well, which means they won't splinter or break down. The chameleons will also be able to climb them, which adds to the surface area and useable space, while giving them a way back up, if they ever venture to the ground.

Back
Top Bottom