Ourside keepers, lightning bug/firefly season is getting near

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
What do you guys do to make sure your chams don't eat any? To anyone that doesn't know. They are probably one of the more dangerous things in north America our chams could eat. Right now my enclosure is vinyl coated steel screen with about 1/2" holes. I need to get something over it, but I'm afraid with a 12 ft × 10ft enclosure some will still get through somewhere.

Are they active enough during the day to attract a chameleons attention? I guess better safe than sorry. You might want to cover your cage in the standard gauge screen on top of what you have now.
We don't have them here the summers a too dry.

Are they active enough during the day to attract a chameleons attention? I guess better safe than sorry. You might want to cover your cage in the standard gauge screen on top of what you have now.
We don't have them here the summers a too dry.

I was thinking about that. They're only really out when it gets dark, usually past the time my chameleon is looking for food. I'd be worried that some could get stuck in the enclosure at night and then be wondering around into the next day. From what I heard, it takes a couple to kill a reptile fast.

Any ideas for a mesh that would be large enough to just cover the whole cage? I had some cheap rolls of mosquito screen over it, but it kind of fell apart of the winter.

Unfortunately the number of lightning bugs that I see in the summer has decreased substantially over the years, but saw my first two last night.

What about green house netting?

1.) Ummm THANK YOU for reminding me that fireflies exist and are highly toxic when ingested (Firefly toxicosis, it's a thing I guess!). I also have 0.5" mesh wire covering my parsonii enclosures and didn't even consider unwanted insects getting in.
2.) 12'x10' outdoor enclosure?! Hot damn, das a big boy!

1.) Ummm THANK YOU for reminding me that fireflies exist and are highly toxic when ingested (Firefly toxicosis, it's a thing I guess!). I also have 0.5" mesh wire covering my parsonii enclosures and didn't even consider unwanted insects getting in.
2.) 12'x10' outdoor enclosure?! Hot damn, das a big boy!

I made it to have room for me to share when the wife's mad

this is why apollo only comes out during the day under my supervision, i have fireflies everywhere! they were so fun as kids now as teens theyre fun but i have a chameleon cant come home with any fireflies now!!!

Back
Top Bottom