Our new cage

Jewel

My son just finished the cage for his chameleon, well almost done. He still needs to put the trim on the outside to cover the edge of the screen and he needs to finish the other cage that is attached to it. We were just in a rush because we needed to get him out of the glass aquarium and into a screen cage. I think he did a wonderful job, especially for his age. He is already planning how to make a new and improved cage. We still have to add more vines for climbing. The chameleon (we need to name him) has only been in the new cage for about an hour and he is already a lighter colour green. I can't believe how much glass stresses them out.

IMG_4735.jpg

IMG_4734.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy,

Looks good! It's hard to tell how far away that UVB lamp is. You may want to put a plant stand under the pot to raise it up so that he can be on the plant and get within 6"-12" of the tube. Just make sure that the basking lamp isn't too hot at that same height :).

Do not tell your son this but he builds way better looking cages then me for sure. That is nice.
lol, it will be a pretty decent looking cage when it is complete

I've been waiting to see your new enclosure....
Awesome job!
Your guy is going to be so much happier!!

-Brad
He's a little more stressed looking today but still better colouring then he use to be. It will take him time to adjust.
Howdy,

Looks good! It's hard to tell how far away that UVB lamp is. You may want to put a plant stand under the pot to raise it up so that he can be on the plant and get within 6"-12" of the tube. Just make sure that the basking lamp isn't too hot at that same height :).
We went out today and bought more vines to put in to bring him up closer to the heat and light source. We still have to add alot more vines, plants and branches.

Here's an updated picture of the cage in progress
IMG_4741.jpg

Did you seal the wood with something? Like varnish. If you dont you will see the wood mold due to all the humidity and misting.
Not if you let the cage dry out between misting as you should anyways, especially with this species. The cage looks great. For paint I can suggest Latex Indoor Solvent-less odorless paint, in either white or light green. The lighter colours will reflect the light farther down into the bottom of the cage.

Did you seal the wood with something? Like varnish. If you dont you will see the wood mold due to all the humidity and misting.
Yes we sealed it with water base varnish and we put 4 coats on it and we let it air out for a long time before we put him in it.

Not if you let the cage dry out between misting as you should anyways, especially with this species. The cage looks great. For paint I can suggest Latex Indoor Solvent-less odorless paint, in either white or light green. The lighter colours will reflect the light farther down into the bottom of the cage.
We do allow it to dry out between mistings. Thanks for the info on the type of paint to use. I have noticed the cage is rather dark in the bottom because we have such a large umbrella plant.

Back
Top Bottom