Ouch

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
How common are chamelion bites and from 1-10 where would you put the amount of pain inflicted. My male veiled (being true to form) has threatened many times but never bitten so I was curious just how often they actually carry out thier threats? I am sure there are some good stories out there

How common are chamelion bites and from 1-10 where would you put the amount of pain inflicted. My male veiled (being true to form) has threatened many times but never bitten so I was curious just how often they actually carry out thier threats? I am sure there are some good stories out there

Common with vieleds if you dont pay attention to the signs. Pain scale for a vieled is like a 4. Like a really hard pinch. The shock factor is the part that can be dangerous, usually more so for the cham then for yourself.

Snitz427 said..."She knows if she pinches and twists vs grabbing a mouth full, she’ll inflict more pain."... So interesting how they know to twist it! I've never known another chameleon species but veileds to do that.

Wow! Don't want to be on the business end of that one. Mine gives the warning everytime I enter the enclosure but if I move towards him slowly he deflates and comes down. Not a people person either.

It your cham wants to make you bleed, they will. Here's my infamous bite aftermath from my Kyle. He left two nice cuts from a bite and shake. Last time I ever stuck my hands in his cage without paying attention to him.

Bottom line, respect all animals. If they are making it clear that they want to be left alone, listen.
MVIMG_20181222_094557.jpg

It your cham wants to make you bleed, they will. Here's my infamous bite aftermath from my Kyle. He left two nice cuts from a bite and shake. Last time I ever stuck my hands in his cage without paying attention to him.

Bottom line, respect all animals. If they are making it clear that they want to be left alone, listen.
View attachment 245704
JESUS KYLE!

What a savage. I got mad respect.

Snitz427 said..."She knows if she pinches and twists vs grabbing a mouth full, she’ll inflict more pain."... So interesting how they know to twist it! I've never known another chameleon species but veileds to do that.

She’s smart enough to choose her target, too. She will initially lunge and bite whatever is in range... but if we continue to irritate her she’ll slowly do the pinch and twist and in a vulnerable spot! She will take her time and go for between the fingers or the softer skin!

We only handle her to take her outside every weekend. You would think by now she would understand. She does want to come out.... she’ll look at me as sweet as pie, and come right to the corner and reach for the screen where you are standing - calmly and cute. Slowly open the cage and offer a hand (out of strike range) and “WHOAWHATCHUDOIN!?!! YOUGOTAPROBLEM!? YOUWANNATHROWDOWN!? WECANTHROWDOWNRIGHTHERE!?!!“

Per pound, nothing is more painful than a veiled bite. Doctors joke about why God gave veileds a "handle" on their heads.
I don’t know. Grumpy’s got me a couple of times and it was nothing. Maybe my fingers are too fat for her to have given me a good bite. We’re on the 2nd part of her pinworm treatment so she’s got more chances to bite me. Yippee. :rolleyes:

I'm on my way to walmart to see if they have stainless steel mesh gloves. You guys are scarring me now.LOL
Get leather gloves lol. Safer for the cham doing the biting.

In all seriousness though, as long as you listen to the chameleons body language you won't get bitten. Common sense goes a long way. If the cham is puffed up trying to look big, back off. Hissing, back off. Trying to run away, back off.

I'm on my way to walmart to see if they have stainless steel mesh gloves. You guys are scarring me now.LOL

Well really you just a thin glove, and one of those white glove inspection gloves inside of the first glove. Then when you get bit, you can instantly pull your hand out as they continue to chew/deathroll.

0, it's just the surprise factor that hurts lol, and feelings.
Another note, they do shake their head side to side like a lil Pitbull. It looks kind of cute in all honesty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom