Other ways to get my cham to drink water?

MichelleAndrea

I have a 6 month old veiled chameleon and its hard to get him to drink water. i rarely see him bite the leaves and idk what to do to get him to drink more water..

Hes in a big cage now, but when he used to be in his small aquarium sometimes he would catch the drops that would drip from the sides after i sprayed his cage. so i've been doing that. leaving him in there for like 30 minutes and constantly spraying. but this doesnt really work because, hes kinda slowww. and in his regular cage, i would just spray down the tree i have in there and just hope he drinks from the leaves.

Are his urates white? How long are you misting him and how many times a day? He could be drinking, he just doesn't want to infront of you.

Maybe you can try a warm shower, put a fake plant in the shower and have the warm water bouncing off the wall and indirectly onto the plant, leaving the plant 1/2 in the water and 1/2 out. I have found with mine that when I hand mist it depends on how fine the mister bottle is makes a difference. Mine seem to Prefer a fine mist with warm water. Some people have used an eye dropper. Horn worms are good for hydrating. You can also wet the feeders right before you feed them to ensure they get some water. I remember recently a member saying they put there cricket in a shallow bowl of water and let the chameleon eat the cricket right out of the water lol, I thought that was an interesting way to get him to drink:p good luck. At the very least the steam from a warm shower will help even if he isn't drinking. So would a humidifier:) keep trying different methods until you find one that works for you. I had one stubborn one that eventually learned to enjoy and drink from his mistings. As mentioned above by Thompson checking the urates is a good indicator as some are shy. A dripper is a great edition as already mentioned.

I would recommend a dripper as mentioned above. You can buy the Little Dripper or you can make a homemade dripper. Take a plastic cup or bowl and poke a very small hole in the bottom. As adults you can use a plastic milk jug. Fill it with warm water and make sure it drips very slowly over a vine with leaves so your little guy can drink from the leaves. Also mist for a pretty long time. It takes awhile for them to start drinking.

I would recommend a zoo med reptile fogger ($41 on Amazon) and point it at a Hoya (also called a wax leaf plant). The leaves are waxy and cupped and hold water for the cham, plus they are great for humidity and give the cham a place to bask in humidity if they want. Mine absolutely love them and are thriving and well hydrated. That is my 2 cents.

You can try getting a needless syringe or dropper and dripping water right on his nose, or squeezing it through the cage when he's climbing in the area. I used to go to the cage whenever I saw Spike climbing on the side. I'd squeeze through a few drops just above and to the side of his head. Often he would get interested and start to drink so I'd keep going.

Back
Top Bottom