Oscar

Hey guys so this is oscars cage after I upgraded a lot. But I really need to know a good light bulb to you please leave suggestions! F3E32476-4BE7-4F68-8466-C754D422CAAB.jpeg

@nightanole What would you suggest for lighting? I am hesitant to provide distances for basking with this not being a screen cage.
A good light to keep him warm and provide him with everything he needs don’t worry about it not being a screen cage I have something on top that doesn’t mess with the metal.

A good light to keep him warm and provide him with everything he needs don’t worry about it not being a screen cage I have something on top that doesn’t mess with the metal.
So with this we use two separate fixtures. The first being a regular incandescent household bulb (not LED) and this is put in a dome fixture and this is for heat. The second is a T5HO fixture to run the length of the cage. with a 5.0 zoomed bulb and this gives them what the sun does. But with your cage I would not be able to give you the correct distance that your basking should be below it. Because while you don't want them to get too little UVB you do not want them to be over exposed as well. My guess would be 10-11 inches but this is why I tagged @nightanole in because he is better with this then I am.

Cant go wrong with a 5.0/6% T5 HO. Its only the 10.0/12% you have to worry about.

A 5.0/6%, without screen, will provide uvb for about 2.5ft into the cage, by then it will be a UVI of around .5. And as beman pointed out, you want the max closeness to be around a foot a way, that will put you around 2-3 UVI. If it was an all screen top, the screen would filter maybe 1/3 of the uvb out, so you could get closer, around 6-7". So yea pick out a zoomed 5.0 or arcadia 6%, get it long enough to run the length of the top, and angle the basking stick so its a foot away from the bulb and tapers down to 2ft away.

I wouldnt bother putting window screen across the top to try to mimic "screen"cage. I have my fixtures in the cage with nothing blocking the bulbs what so ever, I just set it up so the stick is at an angle so they can tune the UVB as they please. Same with the basking light, you want a gradient.

You also mentioned a basking light. I lean towards halogen wide floods, but can not guess what wattage you need. I run 2 35 watters pointing straight down so have a 1 foot long warming area. For all i know a 65 watt at a 45 degree angle would be perfect for you.

Back
Top Bottom