Orchids In The Enclosure?

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
Okay, seaflirt asked about Bromeliads which reminded me, I've been meaning to ask about orchids.
I see them in pics of people's cham enclosures every once in awhile but cannot tell if they are real or not.
Anyway....not an important post but a question I have nonetheless.
-Brad

Jordan

Yes. Veileds in particular in my experience will eat the ever living crap out of flowers. Orchids are fine. I am pretty sure these are on their native diet. If you have ambitions like that maybe looking into a hibiscus. Two problems with them is they do require bright light and some what of a dormacy period. I offer my lady roses mounted to the top of the cage. She has eaten them everytime. I guess not all veileds are the same so they may not eat them at all, mine always do though. When your guy gets a couple more months under his belt try offering him some kind of flower from the top of the cage. Leave it there for a day or two to see if he goes for them or not. I would say this can help you decide if you want to bother with even offering them or not.

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
Thanks Jordan.
He already rips the hell out of the collard greens I give him and there are hibiscus, spider plant, pothos and boston fern getting established in his future adult enclosure, maybe that's enough.
I guess the real question would be: do you want to sacrafice an orchid to your veiled chameleon? :)

-Brad

Top Bottom