Orchids and chameleons

Helios

Here are some pictures of my chameleon's cage. I originally stared out by falling in love with orchids and then by looking at them came across a panther chameleon. After doing lots of research I decided to upgrade one of my males "Nigel's" cage to about as large as I can.

a693789f-728a-9ee4.jpg

That's the cage with my orchids in it. I'll get a list to y'all when I get a chance. I've been meaning to do this for a while now but never seem to find the time.

This is Nigel by the way
a693789f-72e0-60da.jpg

That's why I wanted one lol.

Anyway I was hopping I could get some suggestions for more orchids that I can grow in there that will do well and bloom as much as possible.
My conditions in the cage are 2 led lights and a UVB bulb for the chameleon that run 12 hr. days and will be shortened to 10 for winter. Also I should mention that the cage is in front of a westward window for more light. The lights came from lightyourreptiles.com
And are the Jungle Dawn 13W LED.

It "rains" every 3 hours via my misting system from aquazamp.com
However the system might be changed The rain domes seem to make quite a mess and focus too much in one spot. I might go back to my mistking and get more misting nozzles so I can make sure all the spaces in the cage are covered.
The left side of the cage is all individual slabs of EcoWeb from firstrays.com
Where I would like to mount future orchids. As you can see I have one but it's struggling because I don't water it enough.
The bottom floor of the cage I hope to cover in orchids that are grown in S/H. Which I have had some mixed luck with so far. The S/H pots they are in also come from rays. All excess water drains out of the bottom by a whole down into a catch pot.
My goal is to have the best of both worlds here. I really want this cage to be a mini jungle I love as much variety as I can get with my conditions. I am especially drawn to unique orchids so please feel free to list anything that can grow and thrive here.
All mounted orchids have their roots covered in co co husk to help hold some moisture but not too much.
Before I began to order orchids I raised Nigel from a baby and he has never tried to eat any plant I have placed him with. He has done very well with the current selection of orchids now. The only problem I could say is that he walks on the orchids to move around so I have to make sure everything is zip tied securely.
I'll add some more pictures for better views.
a6937897-7890-ed94.jpg

a6937897-78b2-00a4.jpg

This is a post that I originally made for orchid board but thought I'd share here. Thanks

Here are some pictures of my chameleon's cage. I originally stared out by falling in love with orchids and then by looking at them came across a panther chameleon. After doing lots of research I decided to upgrade one of my males "Nigel's" cage to about as large as I can.

a693789f-728a-9ee4.jpg

That's the cage with my orchids in it. I'll get a list to y'all when I get a chance. I've been meaning to do this for a while now but never seem to find the time.

This is Nigel by the way
a693789f-72e0-60da.jpg

That's why I wanted one lol.

Anyway I was hopping I could get some suggestions for more orchids that I can grow in there that will do well and bloom as much as possible.
My conditions in the cage are 2 led lights and a UVB bulb for the chameleon that run 12 hr. days and will be shortened to 10 for winter. Also I should mention that the cage is in front of a westward window for more light. The lights came from lightyourreptiles.com
And are the Jungle Dawn 13W LED.

It "rains" every 3 hours via my misting system from aquazamp.com
However the system might be changed The rain domes seem to make quite a mess and focus too much in one spot. I might go back to my mistking and get more misting nozzles so I can make sure all the spaces in the cage are covered.
The left side of the cage is all individual slabs of EcoWeb from firstrays.com
Where I would like to mount future orchids. As you can see I have one but it's struggling because I don't water it enough.
The bottom floor of the cage I hope to cover in orchids that are grown in S/H. Which I have had some mixed luck with so far. The S/H pots they are in also come from rays. All excess water drains out of the bottom by a whole down into a catch pot.
My goal is to have the best of both worlds here. I really want this cage to be a mini jungle I love as much variety as I can get with my conditions. I am especially drawn to unique orchids so please feel free to list anything that can grow and thrive here.
All mounted orchids have their roots covered in co co husk to help hold some moisture but not too much.
Before I began to order orchids I raised Nigel from a baby and he has never tried to eat any plant I have placed him with. He has done very well with the current selection of orchids now. The only problem I could say is that he walks on the orchids to move around so I have to make sure everything is zip tied securely.
I'll add some more pictures for better views.
a6937897-7890-ed94.jpg

a6937897-78b2-00a4.jpg

This is a post that I originally made for orchid board but thought I'd share here. Thanks

Nice! I see a Vanda and a Puanani in the last photo too! I love orchids in my chameleon habitats.
BloomingChameleonHabitat.jpg

one of mine...

There is always one in every group, I am the one. Those cages are beautiful, but they are not set up correctly for a chameleon.

Chameleons need roads going all over the cage up and down, across, they should be able to go all over the cage on plants they know will support them. Most often used are ficus tree, umbrella tree or pothos.

Most people don't put them in glass but you can make that work if the cage is large enough and has adequate air flow. If you have a glass cage in front of a window you need to watch temps as your cham could very easily over heat. What size is your terrarium?

How are you going to handle the amount of water your cham needs? You may have a drainage issue.

I am not trying to me harsh, rather I just want to let you know you have a few things to look at to make sure your cham will thrive in his home.

There is always one in every group, I am the one. Those cages are beautiful, but they are not set up correctly for a chameleon.

Chameleons need roads going all over the cage up and down, across, they should be able to go all over the cage on plants they know will support them. Most often used are ficus tree, umbrella tree or pothos.

Most people don't put them in glass but you can make that work if the cage is large enough and has adequate air flow. If you have a glass cage in front of a window you need to watch temps as your cham could very easily over heat. What size is your terrarium?

How are you going to handle the amount of water your cham needs? You may have a drainage issue.

I am not trying to me harsh, rather I just want to let you know you have a few things to look at to make sure your cham will thrive in his home.

I'm not sure if you can't tell because of the picture but the wood goes out in the cage in all directions. There is not a part of the cage he can't get to easily. And orchids grow in tree where they originate.

I'm not sure if you can't tell because of the picture but the wood goes out in the cage in all directions. There is not a part of the cage he can't get to easily. And orchids grow in tree where they originate.

Get some bio-vine and string it around up and down the cage as well. He needs more ways to get to the top besides just the one branch, as well as to get to the bottom. Different parts of the cage are different temperatures. But it looks good, I do like the trunk in the middle.

Get some bio-vine and string it around up and down the cage as well. He needs more ways to get to the top besides just the one branch, as well as to get to the bottom. Different parts of the cage are different temperatures. But it looks good, I do like the trunk in the middle.

Actually I think I am going to get ahold of some kiwi vine and add more highways. Been meaning to for a bit but haven't gotten around to it

Orchid is best growing the plants, I also like orchid plants and I have many orchid plants in my garden. I always prefer some best plant to grow many different roots. I like to decorate my garden using many orchid plants.

um...ok was this translated? Orchids can be great for enclosures but large chameleons will most likely snap your spikes. For smaller chams they work out great. I have an outdoor enclosure that I have loaded with orchids ( that I have yet to finish ) but they tend to be larger orchids, vandopsis gigantea, grammatophyllum, arachnis, schomburgkia and large dendrobiums.

I have played around with the idea of getting a custom built terrarium. There is a website http://www.customglassterrariums.com/categories/Chameleon-Terrariums/ that builds Acrylic tanks specifically for keeping chameleons. Of course I know glass is a bad idea but check their tanks. They make a major point to have good air flow.

Why is glass a bad idea?

You may want to check this out

https://www.chameleonforums.com/everyone-who-knows-you-cant-keep-chams-glass-31937/

Unfortunately I think it would be problematic if I just used all large species in the cage. I know the risks but I decided it was worth taking. In my experience when and orchid wants to bloom it'll find a way. Many I have bloomed and accidentally broken spikes have just grown a new one.

Also I think I lot of keepers are vet cautious with glass because if not managed properly could cause some serious health issues. Thanks for the article I liked it a lot

Nice! I see a Vanda and a Puanani in the last photo too! I love orchids in my chameleon habitats.
BloomingChameleonHabitat.jpg

one of mine...

looks beautiful, how do the orchids do in your enclosure? I've tried to keep orchids in my chameleon enclosures before but have never had any luck. Its something I would like to try again. Can anyone recommend any orchids they have had success with in their chameleons home?

Back
Top Bottom