Orange-ish yellow spot on my young chameleons belly

I have a young chameleon, probably about 2 months old. I noticed today that there are two small orange-yellow spots on his belly. the spots may be slightly raised? But it’s hard to tell :( Any ideas what it might be?

Attachments

• 1BF2B3E4-9DFE-49BE-93B2-73EB3B5BC277.jpeg
    1BF2B3E4-9DFE-49BE-93B2-73EB3B5BC277.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 735AA07F-78FD-4C7A-83FC-98F3B781F3F7.jpeg
    735AA07F-78FD-4C7A-83FC-98F3B781F3F7.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 81
  • AEA91403-4861-4913-B9F9-F30AB9655A06.jpeg
    AEA91403-4861-4913-B9F9-F30AB9655A06.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 75F671EC-074D-4BCA-867B-C02BD38CF246.jpeg
    75F671EC-074D-4BCA-867B-C02BD38CF246.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 81
  • C2250867-9E4F-464E-90B0-3D180AC8EC65.jpeg
    C2250867-9E4F-464E-90B0-3D180AC8EC65.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 82
Welcome! Please fill out the form below so we can check and correct your husbandry, and help us help you!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

•Panther ambilobe young chameleon. Unsure of sex. I think he is around 2 months old.

•He walks onto my fingers sometimes on his own accord, and then I’ll bring him outside so he can chill on his plant out there

•He eats a lot of fruit flies daily, there’s always some in there for him. He also eats bean beetles and black fly larvae.

•I use a spray mist bottle (it has a nice mist). I spray for a minute 3-5 times daily, depending on the humidity level. I also offer him water out of a syringe to ensure he is drinking. He will take water from the syringe on about a 50/50 basis so I think he’s drinking elsewhere. I also have a water cup in his enclosure.

•Was told to stop dusting his food till he’s 3 months old. Also I know bean beetles and the larvae are high in calcium so I think he gets enough

•His poop look healthy; black poop with white urate on the end. Has been going every day. Has never been tested for parasites.

•I moved him into a tall screen enclosure (18”x18”x20”). He was in a small glass aquarium before.

•I use a linear T8 UVB bulb. Heating I use a incandescent 40 watt light bulb. It’s usually 78-80 degrees F at his basking spot. 75 degrees F ambient temperature. Lights are on from 9am-9pm.

•Golden pothos and a money tree

•The enclosure sits about 3.5 feet from the floor on a table. Not a high traffic area, it is in my bedroom.

•I am located in mid-Michigan!

Problem: two yellow-orange spots on the belly, not raised much if they are at all. It’s hard to tell! Pictures attached above

Welcome! Please fill out the form below so we can check and correct your husbandry, and help us help you!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
I forgot to make it a reply to your message directly but I did fill it out 🙂

Hi who told you to stop dusting? What % is your uvb ? . Do you have pictures of your full enclosure. How are you measuring your temps and humidity? Do you have some sort of led light strip ?

Double check your temps on the screen as well. If baby is hanging upside down like that it may be a thermal burn issue.
The temp is good. I just put him in a brand new screen enclosure after I noticed it today because I was worried something in his glass enclosure could be harboring something that caused the spots. A little bit later after I put him in the screen enclosure he started climbing the ceiling he’s very adventurous and was honestly good for taking pictures lol. He was in a glass aquarium up until today and was not able to get to the ceiling with no way for a thermal burn.

Hi who told you to stop dusting? What % is your uvb ? . Do you have pictures of your full enclosure. How are you measuring your temps and humidity? Do you have some sort of led light strip ?
A couple breeders told me to not dust till he’s a bit older as their systems don’t need as much, it’s easy to oversupplement and become toxic to their system. It’s a combo digital thermometer and hydrometer. I do have a led plant light strip also

I cant comment on the spots I will leave that to more experienced keepers Where did you get your cham? You will want to lightly dust your feeders with ( and you can do this two ways so either calcium phosphorus free no d3 every feed then a multivitamin +d3 twice a month or calcium phosphorus free no d3 every feed then calcium +d3 which say you would give on the 1st then the 15th then on the 8th and 30th a multivitamin no d3. Chameleon academy, Neptune the chameleon you tube and casque above. Com are all great places for info. If you can post pictures of your enclosure this be a great help and also check the % of your t8 thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 48
Sorry for the late response! I’ve been in class since the last response. My corrections will be below
•Panther ambilobe young chameleon. Unsure of sex. I think he is around 2 months old.

He seems to be a bit older than two months, however I am no expert with babies that young

•He walks onto my fingers sometimes on his own accord, and then I’ll bring him outside so he can chill on his plant out there

•He eats a lot of fruit flies daily, there’s always some in there for him. He also eats bean beetles and black fly larvae.

How many fruit flies/ feeders?

•I use a spray mist bottle (it has a nice mist). I spray for a minute 3-5 times daily, depending on the humidity level. I also offer him water out of a syringe to ensure he is drinking. He will take water from the syringe on about a 50/50 basis so I think he’s drinking elsewhere. I also have a water cup in his enclosure.

What is your humidity? Also, chams will sometimes be shy drinkers and will not let you see them drink.

•Was told to stop dusting his food till he’s 3 months old. Also I know bean beetles and the larvae are high in calcium so I think he gets enough

Not sure about this, but am also not an expert with babies. When he is older, you will have to do a normal supplement routine of no d3 daily, and then multivitamin every other week and d3 every other week.

•His poop look healthy; black poop with white urate on the end. Has been going every day. Has never been tested for parasites.

•I moved him into a tall screen enclosure (18”x18”x20”). He was in a small glass aquarium before.

He should eventually be moved into a 24x24x48

•I use a linear T8 UVB bulb. Heating I use a incandescent 40 watt light bulb. It’s usually 78-80 degrees F at his basking spot. 75 degrees F ambient temperature. Lights are on from 9am-9pm.

T8 may be fine depending on intensity, such as a 10.0. T5HO at 5.0 are usually recommended for panthers

•Golden pothos and a money tree

•The enclosure sits about 3.5 feet from the floor on a table. Not a high traffic area, it is in my bedroom.

•I am located in mid-Michigan!

Problem: two yellow-orange spots on the belly, not raised much if they are at all. It’s hard to tell! Pictures attached above

Edit:edited for reading clarity

I cant comment on the spots I will leave that to more experienced keepers Where did you get your cham? You will want to lightly dust your feeders with ( and you can do this two ways so either calcium phosphorus free no d3 every feed then a multivitamin +d3 twice a month or calcium phosphorus free no d3 every feed then calcium +d3 which say you would give on the 1st then the 15th then on the 8th and 30th a multivitamin no d3. Chameleon academy, Neptune the chameleon you tube and casque above. Com are all great places for info. If you can post pictures of your enclosure this be a great help and also check the % of your t8 thanks
Not home at the moment so I’m not able to check lights and get enclosure pictures right away

Back
Top Bottom