opinions please?

chamfan23

So i have read a lot on the forums about how much to feed a chameleon. My panther is about 6 months old and up to now he has been crunching down about 10-12 small/med crickets a day. He has stepped up to the larger crickets and he eats about 5-6 of them a day. I was wondering when i should start feeding every other day.. just personal opinions. I know how beneficial it is, it just seems like 6 months is early and I've read a lot of different things on when to start the process.

you are going to get alot of conflicting opinions on here about this! My breeder says to start feeding every other day at about 12- 13 months old. I started at about 11 or so. I don't think there is right way or a wrong really. They probably don't find food everyday in the wild so you have to look at it that way.

You will see a noticeable slowdown in his eating at which point you should cut back to every other day. Mine slowed down at around 11 months and I have been feeding him every other day since then. IMO I would wait until at least 10 months before cutting back to every other day feedings. Either way, I dont think his health will be affected by cutting back at 10 months or waiting until a year as long as you continue to follow your supplement schedule.

I have to assume that feeding every other day is simply a convenience. What benefit , other than your time , would such a practice produce? In the wild , I'm sure that they eat every opportunity they get .

I'd be interested to see what other forum members do , regarding daily feeding or any alternative?

Personally , I feed every day.

I have to assume that feeding every other day is simply a convenience. What benefit , other than your time , would such a practice produce? In the wild , I'm sure that they eat every opportunity they get .
I'd be interested to see what other forum members do , regarding daily feeding or any alternative?

Personally , I feed every day.

I agree about what you said but there are probably days where they cannot find food and don't get to eat and they do fine either way. This would be a good documentary, to follow a chamleon in the wild and see how often it acutally eats considering all the conflicting opinions about it!!! lol

I got the every other day feeding idea from other forum members when I got my first pair of panthers a couple of years ago. It seems to work out pretty good as my male's metabolism definitely slowed down from what it was when he was a juvenile. I have attempted to feed everyday but he would not eat that much even when offering different prey items. About the only thing I could offer everyday and get a response is superworms. I would not assume convenience as much as making allowance for the lack of what they would get in the wild. They do not get nearly the amount of physical excersion they would get in the wild so cutting back the amount of feeders in captivity makes sense to me. JMO
I would also be curious to hear what other people do for a feeding schedule with adults and why.

Back
Top Bottom