Opinions on Free Range Please!

PrettyInInk87

As the title states... I'd like a few opinions about my free range and placement. I'm pretty proud of my work and Hugh seems to LOVE it! I guess the main question I have is, do you think Hugh is getting enough sun light through the screen door? I have put him outside in direct sun light before but am WAY too paranoid about him getting lost or being picked up by a bird. Safest place to put him is right in front of our screen door. :)

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

I still need to go to the dollar store and pick up a couple of more vines with fake foliage to dress it up a little more.

Where did you get that cool stick?

My input is he needs more coverage... a ficus or chef...

It works for sunning, but for full time free range would need more to it.

Where did you get that cool stick?

My input is he needs more coverage... a ficus or chef...

It works for sunning, but for full time free range would need more to it.

I got it from some wierdo at the Pamona show... :rolleyes: He said "Here Gabbie, take my wood." Lol! I only use it for sunning, he only goes onto it when the sun is going throught the screen door, then goes back into his cage. I am thinking of going back to the dollar store and grab more of those viney thingy with the leaves. A dollar for a roll of 4 feet!:eek:

Hahah I like that awesome stump branch looking thingy. You let him chill in the front door? Does he keep the mail-man at bay? lol

Hahah I like that awesome stump branch looking thingy. You let him chill in the front door? Does he keep the mail-man at bay? lol

Hahah! Thanks, no. Good thing about us not having friends or a life at that, we don't get people coming in and out of the apartment so Hugh is not bothered at all. He LOVES being out!

I got it from some wierdo at the Pamona show... :rolleyes: He said "Here Gabbie, take my wood." Lol! I only use it for sunning, he only goes onto it when the sun is going throught the screen door, then goes back into his cage. I am thinking of going back to the dollar store and grab more of those viney thingy with the leaves. A dollar for a roll of 4 feet!:eek:

not a bad deal! just be sure to clean it.

Yup! Cleaned them with a little soap and hot water.

I thought they were a great deal too! Almost bought some foliage from Petsmart...

Still wondering about the screen door...:confused:

My boy hangs out on the back screen door a lot when he free ranges as he loves the sunbeams (around 2 - 4 hours a day) but then I live in the desert where we get a lot of sunshine flowing in. I don't rely on it to replace his lighting but just think of it as an added treat for him and it doesn't replace his lighting as I don't free all the time.

I agree with Kev....just get a fiscus or something for him to cruise around on :cool:

Gabby, he'll be getting plenty of UVB through that screen if it's afternoon or morning sun... Still give him a UVB lamp in his cage... but sun tanning under screen is very good. I used to put jake and fred in front of the screen door at my old apt. after work. They LOVED it. he won't get taken away from a bird if he is inside of the screen. but a ficus with that stick will give him a place to hide if he feels he needs to.

My boy hangs out on the back screen door a lot when he free ranges as he loves the sunbeams (around 2 - 4 hours a day) but then I live in the desert where we get a lot of sunshine flowing in. I don't rely on it to replace his lighting but just think of it as an added treat for him and it doesn't replace his lighting as I don't free all the time.

I agree with Kev....just get a fiscus or something for him to cruise around on :cool:

I only put him out on his free range about 3 days out of the week or when the sun is out and shinning through the screen.

I had him on a small ficus but Kevin gave me this thing and I have to put it to some use. Lol! (Thank you Kevin, we love it!) He shows no signs of stress or anything so I now he's enjoying it but will surely add more foliage. I mist him quite often when he's out and drinks a TON. He would also tend to escape from the ficus often and seems to stay put on his new free range. :D Thank you so much for your input guys! Just wanted to make sure he was getting some benefit from the sun going through the screen door.:)

He is prolly not moving from the branch because he is fearful.... because it is more open than a bushy ficus... that isn't to say you are dong anything wrong..... but more open spaces cause chams to me more insecure and just chill where they are..... But that also plays to the whole 'maybe hes happy there'... which might be true. the best thing to watch for is... basking in the sun or hiding. If he stands up and basks... hes content... if he sits low on the vine, all thin, hes scared. But it also might take a couple of days or maybe even weeks before he feels secure on that branch in front of the door, it is new to him.

He is prolly not moving from the branch because he is fearful.... because it is more open than a bushy ficus... that isn't to say you are dong anything wrong..... but more open spaces cause chams to me more insecure and just chill where they are..... But that also plays to the whole 'maybe hes happy there'... which might be true. the best thing to watch for is... basking in the sun or hiding. If he stands up and basks... hes content... if he sits low on the vine, all thin, hes scared. But it also might take a couple of days or maybe even weeks before he feels secure on that branch in front of the door, it is new to him.

So judging from the pictures, he's trying to hide... :( I'll definatley get some more coverage. I was just tired of pulling his tree in and out of his cage. They sell some tiny Shefflera right next door for like a dollar something so I might just get a couple and grow them out.

Back
Top Bottom