Opinions on deremensis

chameleonneeds

Avid Member
Hi. I may have an opportunity to keep a group of deremensis chameleons and I have a question for those with some experience.

I have done a fair share of reading and have accessed the Chameleons Online Ezine articles and have a document written up by Luis about their natural husbandry and care requirements.

I read a lot that people do not use heat lamps unless the ambient temperature drops too low. The ambient temperature indoors here is 20-25 celsius during the day and never drops below 18 celsius during winter, it hardly ever reaches more than 30 celsius for extended amounts of time. I can achieve a basking spot of 28 celsius by using 60 watt spot lamps. My question is, should incorporate heat lamps with the UVB or just simply use the UVB tubes? I am confident I can keep the room temperature above 18 degrees at any time. I will, however, have the means to drop the temperature naturally during the winter time for a cooling period which I believe is beneficial.

I intend on using screen enclosures (30x40x80cm) with sides and back closed with plastic sheeting (as to maintain higher humidity).

I may water seal the bottom of the cage and fill with soil and plants as an attempt to have hassle free egg laying. Any opinions on this?

Hi. I may have an opportunity to keep a group of deremensis chameleons and I have a question for those with some experience.

I have done a fair share of reading and have accessed the Chameleons Online Ezine articles and have a document written up by Luis about their natural husbandry and care requirements.

I read a lot that people do not use heat lamps unless the ambient temperature drops too low. The ambient temperature indoors here is 20-25 celsius during the day and never drops below 18 celsius during winter, it hardly ever reaches more than 30 celsius for extended amounts of time. I can achieve a basking spot of 28 celsius by using 60 watt spot lamps. My question is, should incorporate heat lamps with the UVB or just simply use the UVB tubes? I am confident I can keep the room temperature above 18 degrees at any time. I will, however, have the means to drop the temperature naturally during the winter time for a cooling period which I believe is beneficial.

I intend on using screen enclosures (30x40x80cm) with sides and back closed with plastic sheeting (as to maintain higher humidity).

I may water seal the bottom of the cage and fill with soil and plants as an attempt to have hassle free egg laying. Any opinions on this?

T. deremensis is a wonderful species to work with. I keep a trio at the present time. IMO, of all the chameleon species I currently keep and have kept in the past, deremensis is the toughest species. You won't need a heat lamp if your temps are in the ranges you listed above. I keep mine around 75F during the day and 59F at night. They are super easy and they have perhaps the most attractive baby of all chameleons.

Some of the biggest issues with deremensis is getting them to lay their eggs. Most keepers have come to the agreement that an area has to be mocked up with a stump. The feeling behind this being that they prefer to lay against the base in the crook of the stump. You simulating that in the cage with a nice bit of foliage would be ideal.

Back
Top Bottom