Opinions On Converting a Birdcage For Chams

Reptofreak

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’m considering purchasing three of these birdcages to convert into Cham enclosures. They are 31-inch long, 20-1/2-inch wide and 53-inch high with 1/2-inch wire spacing.
If I do I was thinking I would build a stand underneath with built in planter boxes, drainage, etc... what do you guys think, would I be better of just using three Reptibreeze xl’s? My thoughts are that the wire cage should last a lot longer than a Reptibreeze.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00176F5L0/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1&th=1

Last edited:
I'm using two of these i got for $71 on Ebay.
About 2x2x6'
They work ok outdoors. But you must use a feeder cup because they DO NOT keep crickets inside!
(They must be assembled)

Attachments

• 20191215_223807.jpg
    20191215_223807.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 246
I’m considering purchasing three of these birdcages to convert into Cham enclosures. They are 31-inch long, 20-1/2-inch wide and 53-inch high with 1/2-inch wire spacing.
If I do I was thinking I would build a stand underneath with built in planter boxes, drainage, etc... what do you guys think, would I be better of just using three Reptibreeze xl’s? My thoughts are that the wire cage should last a lot longer than a Reptibreeze.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00176F5L0/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1&th=1
My only concern with that specific cage would be the durability of the bars and the doors. Chams can puta good amount of force behind their head and squeeze through some slim spots - possibly bending the bars. [It doesn't give a gauge or thickness of the bars themselves].

That being said, I use a birdcage that's 4'x4'x6' for an outdoor enclosure - it's my free range cham jail for those who cant stay put. The bars are a good 1/4" thick and it's a nice quality cage. I used to have an 5× 5 × 8 ft cage from when I had my iguana, but my wife stole it for her bird and I got the smaller one. Other than my chams learning to push the tray at the bottom out and slide out (smart lil turds), they do an awesome job. They don't block nearly as much UV either, so watch for that.

I've genuinely thought about the exact same cage you're looking at [I had lots of Amazon money from Christmas, hehe] but decided against it. Just seemed too good for so cheap, leading me to believe it's designed more for a finch than a parrot, which to me meant not safe enough for my personal needs. If you think your chams wont push through, or get stuck, or have no worries anything will get in... go for it! They're super awesome for using the fluker vines with, can hang plants from baskets, have a decent floor tray that support multiple plants, etc. I love solid bird cages!

Best wishes!

P.s. if you do get one, let me know about the quality!

I would be concerned about two things: (1) keeping humidity up, and (2) where to house the lights. Since it isn't screen-topped, you would have to either modify it or put the light fixtures inside the enclosure, which is a big burn risk

My only concern with that specific cage would be the durability of the bars and the doors. Chams can puta good amount of force behind their head and squeeze through some slim spots - possibly bending the bars. [It doesn't give a gauge or thickness of the bars themselves].

That being said, I use a birdcage that's 4'x4'x6' for an outdoor enclosure - it's my free range cham jail for those who cant stay put. The bars are a good 1/4" thick and it's a nice quality cage. I used to have an 5× 5 × 8 ft cage from when I had my iguana, but my wife stole it for her bird and I got the smaller one. Other than my chams learning to push the tray at the bottom out and slide out (smart lil turds), they do an awesome job. They don't block nearly as much UV either, so watch for that.

I've genuinely thought about the exact same cage you're looking at [I had lots of Amazon money from Christmas, hehe] but decided against it. Just seemed too good for so cheap, leading me to believe it's designed more for a finch than a parrot, which to me meant not safe enough for my personal needs. If you think your chams wont push through, or get stuck, or have no worries anything will get in... go for it! They're super awesome for using the fluker vines with, can hang plants from baskets, have a decent floor tray that support multiple plants, etc. I love solid bird cages!

Best wishes!

P.s. if you do get one, let me know about the quality!
Thanks for the reply, this is exactly the type of personal experience I was looking for. I didn’t even think about a cham pushing through the bars, but that’s a great point!

I would be concerned about two things: (1) keeping humidity up, and (2) where to house the lights. Since it isn't screen-topped, you would have to either modify it or put the light fixtures inside the enclosure, which is a big burn risk
I would think the top is just bars like the sides, lights could go directly on top of the cage, unless I’m mistaken and this birdcage isn’t bars on the top to? That would be pretty odd given every other cage I have ever seen is lol.

I would think the top is just bars like the sides, lights could go directly on top of the cage, unless I’m mistaken and this birdcage isn’t bars on the top to? That would be pretty odd given every other cage I have ever seen is lol.
Yea, lights right on top is a bad idea. You're gonna wanna put some wood blocks or something to keep the lamps up as chams can and will spiderman from the top. That's the thing with bird cages... chams can touch every part.

Here's the one I keep on my porch with the veiled in it at the time. I don't have a full shot of it at the moment...

Attachments

• 20191229_113714.jpg
    20191229_113714.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 638

Oh you're right, I was looking at the wooden ones in the pictures someone else posted and thought those were the ones we were talking about. The ones you linked will not hold in any humidity at all, so you would need to cover the vast majority of the outside with plastic or something. More of a pain than it'd be worth in my opinion and probably wouldn't look very nice

Oh you're right, I was looking at the wooden ones in the pictures someone else posted and thought those were the ones we were talking about. The ones you linked will not hold in any humidity at all, so you would need to cover the vast majority of the outside with plastic or something. More of a pain than it'd be worth in my opinion and probably wouldn't look very nice
Good point, and they would be more difficult to cover as the shrink wrap card would be off the table.

In my case, humidity is not an issue as I live in steamy S.E. Florida

Here's the one I keep on my porch with the veiled in it at the time. I don't have a full shot of it at the moment...
Here's a shot of the cage itself. Don't mind the plants, my patio is also my nursery...

20200102_194322.jpg

It's not exactly a top notch build as I just use it to keep the chams from wandering off and am moving in a few weeks. The chair cushion makes for a good sun and sight block. Few vines and a few plants inside, I think a piece of driftwood or two. The light is just for when it gets cold.

I can totally see the appeal of it though. The structure is awesome and totally customizable! If not for the cost of a quality bird cage I would most definitely use them more often.

I just checked that link, and I actually have that cage for my starling! Buyer beware - it's very flimsy. Both a pro and a con - it does make it very easy to move/portable! And, granted, I don't think ReptiBreezes are any stronger. Excellent space for the price, in any case, even if the quality suffers. Not sure how well it'd hold up to water, especially if you had to wrap it with plastic (prolonged contact with water), but it's probably about comparible. Might see some rust around joints/where water has a chance to pool. Doors are terrible and small, and make it difficult to access much of the inside. I doubt a chameleon would be strong enough to get out (my starling hasn't managed it, and the prying strength of her beak is pretty impressive!), but I'd definitely wire all of the small side access doors closed (they're all spring lock contraptions).

My 2 cents! I was actually considering using one as a grow out cage for my (eventual) Meller's!

If we're looking for cheap...
I got this 8 foot tall, 8 foot wide WALK IN hexagonal aviary for my wifes birds for under $300!
Hayneedle/Walmart.com

It's a load of room for the money

Attachments

• 20181023_150006.jpg
    20181023_150006.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 20181026_132040.jpg
    20181026_132040.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 190
Back
Top Bottom