Opinion on Jacksons?

serenaj25

Avid Member
So as many of you may have seen one of my chameleons passed away a little while ago. I am thinking of getting a new one since I've got an extra Cage lying around and I feel I am ready to move forward with my hobby as a Cham keeper. I was thinking of getting a Jacksons Cham. What do you all think? Ive been keeping chams for about a year and a half now and although it isn't very long I do feel that I provide ideal housing and care. Let me know what you all think and those of you who are Jacksons keepers I would love to know about your Cham!

How is your humidity? It's a lot more important than with Panthers or veiled. They like lots of misting and cooler temps. Also, I have heard they can be sensitive to supplements, so do your homework. If your cage is a screen cage, you could buy some sheets of 1mm pvc sheeting and silicone them in on three sides. That'd help keep the humidity up. Good luck with whatever you decide.

How is your humidity? It's a lot more important than with Panthers or veiled. They like lots of misting and cooler temps. Also, I have heard they can be sensitive to supplements, so do your homework. If your cage is a screen cage, you could buy some sheets of 1mm pvc sheeting and silicone them in on three sides. That'd help keep the humidity up. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks! Yes I have been reading up on humidity and supplementation differences and I am thinking of getting an automatic mister and possibly covering a few of the sides with shower curtain. It will definitely be a little while before I get one I want to make sure I get everything right before bringing another chameleon into the family.

Coroplast is a cheaper alternative to PVC sheet, I have used it for a long time.

I wouldn't go forward with a Jackson's or other montane species without a misting system and being good at keeping plants alive in your enclosure.
As long as you understand that their husbandry is different and are willing to adapt to their requirements you should be ok. People get into trouble when that try to treat them like panthers or veiled. Also keep in mind that they are not usually as bold as the other common species but personalities vary.

We used to make cages out of colorplast for guinea pigs, all local sign shops carry it as well and they will cut it to whatever size you need. It comes in a variety of colors, it looks a lot like plastic cardboard.

Thanks! Yes I have been reading up on humidity and supplementation differences and I am thinking of getting an automatic mister and possibly covering a few of the sides with shower curtain. It will definitely be a little while before I get one I want to make sure I get everything right before bringing another chameleon into the family.

What temperatures will you be able to provide? Jax need cooler temps at night and we often hear from first time jax keepers that the room isn't getting cool enough in summer. This can be harder and more expensive to handle than humidity. And, if you need to use AC in summer, be aware that it will lower the humidity in your cage as well. Just a heads up to think about.

Back
Top Bottom