Opening Mouth

Greenhorn

I know that when a chameleon has its mouth open it is a sign that it is trying to cool down. It is spring now in South Africa and the temps are increasing, if the ambient temperature starts reaching around the 90 fahrenheit mark, do you still need a basking light ? Is misting and keeping the humidity up enough to keep the chameleon happy ?

Thanks

how old is your chameleon. an adult should be fine at 90 and even up to the 100s from what i have read and heard. a baby or juvnile may not be able to handle it. is your cage outside or inside. if its outside id say you dont need it, but if its on the inside id keep it. i mist my chameleon 6 times a day for 2 minutes, and his humidity is always above 50% and that is at the lowest it ever gets besides at night. i live in houston tx right off the gulf coast of texas. the humidity is always above 80% and the temperatures are around 95 but i still have the heat lamps and constant misting. anyways i hope i was of some help, just need a little more info about your chameleon. anyways good luck

Over heating isn't the only reason for gaping....but if you lower the temperatures and it stops, then that is likely the reason.

I turn off my basking lights when the temperatures get too high.

Frequent waterings/mistings/drippings will definitely help the chameleon if its too warm.

She is a veiled, and is mostly indoors. She only does it when she is basking so i'm sure it is only too hot for her. I just want to make sure if the ambient temp is high, it is fine to keep the basking lamp off and just have the lights on.

Back
Top Bottom