Oorona Mena, a locale in question (Nosy Faly)

I believe that we are going to have to accept a broader, and more forgiving, representation of that Local. Still going to be a lot of nice animals, with some unique characteristics. Just not full pedigree much of the time, as so many have been previously misrepresented. Let the market and pricing adjust accordingly ... and accurately ... based on honest representations. That is in itself is a huge improvement from where things have been these last few years.

And we move on.

This is probably the most "realistic" answer to this, I dont see it panning out the way we would all like...

Just let people form their own opinions, instead of attempting to change them. Because for some that just wont happen. :)

I, for one am thinking about starting a project of Faly's but want to keep them pure, needing to know that the line is pure. It sounds like that might be hard to do. At this point I am thinking that no WC animals coming into the country at this point and claiming to be pure would be scrutinized. Buying from a breeder would be hard also unless they have the lineage of the animal.

Would you agree?

Let me know when ya looking...

I, for one am thinking about starting a project of Faly's but want to keep them pure, needing to know that the line is pure. It sounds like that might be hard to do. At this point I am thinking that no WC animals coming into the country at this point and claiming to be pure would be scrutinized. Buying from a breeder would be hard also unless they have the lineage of the animal.

Would you agree?

90% of the time, the males are pure. As we see them visually pure out of the bag. But the females are fakes 90% of the time. From day one. Deliberately so. By collectors/exporters in Madagascar. Whatever they thought they were accomplishing, they have now reduced credibility on all they ship. Which makes it worth less now. All of it.

Not a country where one expects much long-term thinking anyway. That's the third world. Every small-island locale there is being bastardized now.

With pedigree males, we can breed it back to over 90% purity in 2-3 years at worst. But we cannot sustain that indefinitely if future imports remain polluted.

90% of the time, the males are pure. As we see them visually pure out of the bag. But the females are fakes 90% of the time. From day one. Deliberately so. By collectors/exporters in Madagascar. Whatever they thought they were accomplishing, they have now reduced credibility on all they ship. Which makes it worth less now. All of it.

Not a country where one expects much long-term thinking anyway. That's the third world. Every small-island locale there is being bastardized now.

With pedigree males, we can breed it back to over 90% purity in 2-3 years at worst. But we cannot sustain that indefinitely if future imports remain polluted.

you make a great point...interesting, to see how things will be in a few years

Let me make a point here too. The OP decided to refer to the first as "Oorona Mena". That is not the name of their Locale. Of that geography. That is made-up designer stuff.

For a while back in about 2002, we had "Picasso's" and Ambilobes. And a few would argue that the former was not the latter, which made for some heated debate then. Chagrined me too, as I had brought in the first Ambilobes, and now began seeing "Picasso's". "Picasso" was the first attempt that I am aware of to try to stick a designer BS label on any Locale. I said so then to the phoney crap.

There is not an Oorena Mena island in Madagascar. And there is no town named "Picasso". Nosy Mitsio's had some made-up BS name too, which I forget. Picasso is now long dead as well. Good riddance.

Folks certainly have every right to label such any way that they want. If it makes them more money, that is capitalism. But it is not how most of us recognize locales. And frankly, it enables more chicanery.

Last edited:
I am in the market myself for a pair to work with. Even with all of the drama that has been going on they are a spectacular locale. Totally agreee with everyone about others forming their own opinion about what is or is not pure. If we could only get the exporters and collectors who are bringing in new blood to do what they are paid to do we would be golden.

Jim, you mention the exporters "product" being worth less for them losing credibility. Do you forsee them getting the "big picture" about what they are doing to themselves and their business and then taking action to correct it, or do you see them continueing to do as they have in the past and continue to export known "mis-identified" animals?

I am in the market myself for a pair to work with. Even with all of the drama that has been going on they are a spectacular locale. Totally agreee with everyone about others forming their own opinion about what is or is not pure. If we could only get the exporters and collectors who are bringing in new blood to do what they are paid to do we would be golden.

Jim, you mention the exporters "product" being worth less for them losing credibility. Do you forsee them getting the "big picture" about what they are doing to themselves and their business and then taking action to correct it, or do you see them continueing to do as they have in the past and continue to export known "mis-identified" animals?

Nope. Madagascar will not clean up its act. Not gonna happen. They are too poor. We just have to work with things as they are.

Back
Top Bottom