One Eye Shut

Likbor

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 38 Screen Flextarium ( 16.5" x 16.5" x 30")
Lighting - Has a Sun glow ( I think) mercury vapor bulb-covers all the UV's and the heat.
Temperature - Basking temp -mid to low 80s
Humidity - constant 50-60%; taken up to about 75-80 when misting

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Male Veiled chameleon, about 2 months. We've had him for about a month
Handling - never.
Feeding - Crickets, he eats about 4 med sized ones a day--this has slowed from when we first got him. The crickets are few greens and carrots. Trying to cup feed but he won't take to it.
Supplements - MultiVit, Calcium, Calcium D3-on a week by week schedule.
Watering - Frequent mistings of about 10-13 oz of water, and a waterfall.
Fecal Description -Last one noted was brown and white (best description I could drag out of the person who cleaned it up)
History - https://www.chameleonforums.com/possible-eye-infection-33411/
Current Problem -
We seem to be having bad luck with our cham. The last two or three days he's been keeping his right eye closed. He can open it no problem, it doesn't LOOK sunken in, or overly dry, or crusty...just closed. He will open it when you look at him closely, but overall he likes it closed. We've been misting him more than usual, and misting him more directly--he really doesn't like to be misted. His colors have been a bit darker than usual...maybe just half a shade, and not always. We recently got some darker green leaves added to his cage, so I don't know if they're affecting his color as he tries to fit in with it.
Right now we're looking at getting a mister....but should we take him to the vet?

He should be eating more than that. What is your dusting schedule? It might be that bulb, you need to know the exact brand. Though I may be wrong, I don't know much about mercury vapor bulbs...

Also, get rid of that waterfall, he could drown in it. He also probably poops in it then drinks it. Use a dripper instead.

If he's two months old med. size crickets might be too big for him. The light could have something to do with the closed eye. If the extra long mistings with very warm water are not working a vet visit is in order. Where are you located?

A visit to a qualified vet is never a bad idea if you have any concerns about your animal.

Try turning off the MercV lamp, just use a regular household incandescent bulb of around 60watts (or whatever works to get the right temp) for a few days, and see if he is more inclined to open the eye.

Does he have plants or way to seek shade and get out of the UV? Is that what the new big green leaves (are those plastic or real) are for? Have you tried feeding him smaller crickets or any other types of feeder?

I agree a dripper is a better idea than a waterfall.

I'm having sort of the same problem with my cham. It could be the lights, feding husbandry, or maybe he has an eye infection? Waterfalls aren't usually good in chameleon enclosures because they are a breeding ground for bacteria.

Thanks for the replies..
We're having trouble getting the right sized crickets-supply here, frankly, sucks-the tubs with 2 or 3 week crickets usually have more full sized crickets than baby ones, and you can only get them one day a week before they are sold out for the week. We found one store that carries tinier ones, but even then it's no guarantee-last week we bought 150 crickets trying to find the right size and just chucked the big ones outside. We think he's getting picky about what he's eating, though, which is why we're going to try worms for a bit. He will let the crickets walk all over him instead of eating them, some days.

He has TONS of fake plants...my bf is one step away from being the bubble boy so getting a real plant might be a problem for his allergies. We took the waterfall out and are looking at making a permanent dripper or getting a mister, right now just keeping the cage very hydrated.
The light is in a clamp light that is too small for it--the bulb hangs out the bottom. A bigger one is in the mail (Pet supplies here is WAY overpriced....$30 overpriced for this one object), so maybe that's contributing?

He's also been sleeping on the sides a bit lately, which he never really did, or clinging to the ceiling directly under the UVB bulb(before we replaced it) as if to soak up as much as possible...it was the right distance away from his basking area, though.

I don't have my good camera at the moment and the phone cam sucks, but like I said it's not noticeably sunken in--but we have untrained eyes so could be wrong.

Here is his cage set up as of right now, sorry for the bad quality...he's on the roof because I was spraying and was directly misting him, which he doesn't like but I'm more concerned a bout his eye hydration than his crankiness right now.

EDIT: I just went to feed him and he was almost lying down, resting his head/body on his leaves but not sleeping. I showed him the crickets with the tongs before they wiggled free, so he knows they are there-put in the tiniest ones I could find. Now I'm worried..Might be time for a vet? Getting him there is going to be fun, he HATES to be handled...we've had him for a month today and have never picked him up save to transfer him to his cage.

Attachments

• DSC00043.jpg
    DSC00043.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 131
are you still having problems with your cham? Mine is having similar problems right now. They get dehyrdated very easily, especially if you haven't had a drip system (which is definitely the best for chameleons). How often do you witness him drinking? Dehydration could explain the eye problem and I agree that 4 crickets definitely isn't enough. when my cham was that age he ate at least 6 baby crickets a day sometimes 10 and then 5 - 10 small mealworms. Id also suggest that you feed your circkets orange slices; that helps getting your chameleon moisture, vitamin C and vitamin A. Vitamin A is also in relation to the eye, if they don't get enough of it their eyes produce symptoms.

My chameleons about 6 months old and eating like a gooden his growing and has put on weight, the last four days his started keeping his eye shut (left) when possible, his even trying to hunt with one eye! But when he opens it his eye is clear and with no muck in it. Well of what I can see anyway, I'm planning to take him to the vets next week when I'm paid but has anyone got any ideas what I can try before? It seems to be a short while after he shedder his skin and had a bit stuck round his eye , which he used his paw to scratch off so may possibly of scratched his cornea. Also would love so help in his drinking! I spray him a few times a day which he hates! We've tried a waterfall and regretted almost instantly and also a dripper which worked but got the cage wet? What do people have their droppers going into!? Xx

Back
Top Bottom