OMG.... she ate!

nhblond

Ok, because Stitch wasn't eating in her new screen cage I had been worried that it wasn't warm enough for her. Temps in lower part of cage were only low 70's. So, I decided to take her out so I could wrap part of the cage with plastic. Before I put her in a temp container, I put two waxworms in the temp container. Well......she was in the temp container about 10-15 seconds and ate both!!! Poor thing, I know she was very hungry. Yay for Stitch!!!! Now I am wondering if I shouldn't take her out once a day, put her in the temp container with some crickets and see if she will eat that way???? I don't want to stress her out by doing that, but she needs to eat. What do you think?

Ok, because Stitch wasn't eating in her new screen cage I had been worried that it wasn't warm enough for her. Temps in lower part of cage were only low 70's. So, I decided to take her out so I could wrap part of the cage with plastic. Before I put her in a temp container, I put two waxworms in the temp container. Well......she was in the temp container about 10-15 seconds and ate both!!! Poor thing, I know she was very hungry. Yay for Stitch!!!! Now I am wondering if I shouldn't take her out once a day, put her in the temp container with some crickets and see if she will eat that way???? I don't want to stress her out by doing that, but she needs to eat. What do you think?

try it. why dont you using heat lamp for the cages?? :)

she has a heat lamp for basking at the top of the cage, but it is a very large cage so it doesn't heat the whole cage :)

Have you tried putting the prey items in a shoebox sized plastic container under her favorite spot? It's easier for them to find the food that way, but they still have the opportunity to hunt.

The cage is: 4.5 feet high x 3 feet wide x 2 feet deep.
I have tried a deep container, then a more shallow container.... have tried it in several spots including where she had been hanging out.... she watches them, but then doesn't go after them, or she ends up looking through the bottom or side of the container at them....
I might continue to try with the container (is in there with crickets now), but might try the other option I mentioned as well to be sure she is eating.
Also, I checked the temp in the middle of the cage and it is still 70 with the plastic. I might end up having to put a second heat lamp at the midway mark on the side?

Nah, don't worry about it. 70 is perfect. They need to be able to cool off too!

Use an opaque container. The clear ones can confuse them and cause injuries.

i have a 4ft tall cage, 50watt basking light, temp is 82-85ish at basking area, mid cage is 70ish, bottom is 68. your temps are fine. my cham REFUSES to eat unless they are free-ranged inside the cage.

You said its a new cage? Give him a few weeks to get acclimated, he will eat when hungry :]

Her basking temp is about 90.... I am going to raise the lamp a little tomorrow to get it to more like 85ish. I would much rather free-range the crickets. It means trouble-shooting the new cage and trying to find out where the darn things are getting out :confused:

Back
Top Bottom