OMG !!! Don't panic...even tho I did !

little leaf

Avid Member
I am posting this to help show what a dislocated leg looks like- I went to a pet shop I did not know had chams, I went every week, watching the chams- they had them in bird cages :(- well, after many visits, and sending poor Laurie about 100 pix of her BEFORE I got her, to be sure she looked ok, I decided to get one of the female Jackson cahms - she is a big girl - bigger than any of the others - and she looks preg ???? so anyway- I set up my cage, ran everything for a few days to be sure all was ok in the cage- and got my foam box, the same one I used to take Gail to the vet 3 X a week for weeks - it has a mounted thick stick, and a vine wrapped around that for extra traction - I think I could have dropped this from the moon and Gail would have had a safe landing - so , they put the cham in my box, I looked to be sure she is sitting well, put the lid on, and head for home - SOOOOOOOOOO happy to once again have a cham :D I got home, misted the cage so she would have water all over ,cracked the lid so she could crawl out at her own pace- and this is how she looked when she came out- I have NO idea how on earth how she did this to herself - I PANICKED my first thought was to hurry and grab her a re-bend the leg back to normal - I was just sick about it- I was SOOOO careful about everything - I even put off getting her 2 days because I was 1.5 degrees off in my cage- I called Laurie- IN A PANIC- and by now it is about 9:30 at night- I gave her water, she was very thirsty , and then put her to bed- I got up at 5:30 am (after looking on line until 2 am to try to find what to do for her) all I could see was a small leg sticking straight out of a clump of vine- so I knew her leg was still messed up- to early for lights on, so I left her be- at 8 I went to put on my lights - THANK GOD !!! when she came out of her spot, her leg looks like this now- somehow she put it back in place- I am so glad I did not grab her and snap her leg back in place- her leg is observably sore- and her "knee cap" is a bit swollen - but she is using it- and getting around the cage - my gut tells me to take her to the vet ASAP - but at this point- it is not life threatening ( although Iabout died of a heart attack when I saw it) I think a trip to the vet is going to be WAYYYYY more stress then she can take - and I fear putting her in the box again , because I dont know how she did this in there - we have a few thoughts on what MAY have made this happen- like , being in a stupid bird cage- she could not climb w/ her feet UNDER herself, so she used a odd leg splayed "traction" to get around the cage- I am upset at the shop for how they had them - after so many trips in the owner asked me why I was hesitating to buy one- so it was a good chance to chat w/ him about the husbandry- and we had a great convo - and I did end up going back and getting her in part just to get the 2 girls out of the same cage- and I just fell in love w/ her :) I am keeping away from the cage - she is much happier now- but still very nervous - I am playing "peek-a-boo" to just kinda check on her off and on from afar - going to offer her some lunch later today - I know the pic looks very bad, and trust me - it was very upsetting when this happened- but I just wanted to show what it looked like so others can #1 see it- I could not find anything like this on the forum , and # 2 - don't panic - had I reached in and grabbed her leg, and forced it back down, I dont know what would have happened ( had this been in the day- I would have rushed her to the vet asap- and that was my plan had her leg still been out of place this am - my biggest worry was blood supply to the limb- a bit swollen, a bit sore- but seems to be on the mend - I am wondering if being in that bird cage made her stretch her tendons out , and then when she got "traction " in the box, the tork made it pop? I am just glad she is using the leg

this REALLLY took all the fun out of getting my new cham :(

first pic is yesterday when it happened , and 2nd is today - and one of her at the pet shop - IF she is preg/ do they get lose muscles like other animals? I only know at the end of preg/ our broodmares are so lose in the back end from hormones they could hardly walk - do chams do the same ???

Omg!!!! I saw her leg and freaked out!!! Despite you saying not to panic!!

Omg the poor baby!!! You are so good to take her in!!! You are such a caring person I just love it!!!

She looks plump so maybe she is gravid??

Idk what could have caused it, but I think that what you have said is possible. Bc something similar happened to me (I have long ligaments, and a small body) so if I bend just right my knees pop out of place. So maybe its something similar with her??

I'd say keep an eye on her, but I already know your watching her like a hawk.:)

Congrats on your new baby, she's beautiful. I'm sorry it has been so stressful!!

That first pic looks terrible, that has to feel terrible, poor little girl.......that second pic looks much better....I hope that it is nothing that keeps her in pain.....please keep us posted on it, I pray nothing is wrong....as far as pregnant, can't say about that.

she seems to not be in to much pain, but I have no doubt it is sore
she is still getting used to her new cage, and i put a "pan" of crickets, and meal worms in for her- she is watching them , and seems to be thinking of having some lunch - :) drinking very well :D

let me tell you - talk about sheer fright- I about fainted from it- I know the pic is graphic - but I think anything that can help give info, is worth showing - I was hoping it was only dislocated- but I have never seen a dislocation, or a broken limb - I do not think it is broken as she is using it ( but I am no vet) but I am going to keep a CLOSE eye on her, and she has not slipped at all , so I think (PRAY) she will be ok

Cheryl one of the things we have in common is we both panic really, really well. I talked you down from panicking even as I sat here going, no, no, no, I told her to get a healthy one and it would be ok. If you had told me when I call the she had died, I would have crawled under a rock.

But you really have learned a lot with all your reading and research. Just think of the times you have found stuff on the internet I have never seen. I know you think you learned it from me but you did it yourself. You will be a great keeper due to you not me.

I think you and that little girl who needs a name will do great together.

Thats a beautiful girl you have there... I love female jacksons, they just have the sweetest face. If you two are ever down in cincy, I am sure my male Jackson, Reggie, would love to make her acquaintance! haha :D

Thanks , she is my first Jackson - off to a rough start w/ me tho- but doing much better this afternoon :)
we just may take you up on that - I do plan to go to "cin city" :D someday in spring - I hear the shows are pretty nice- I have NEVER been to a show yet- do you go- how are they??

Long story short this happened to my female jacksons chameleon the day i rescued her. I panicked and took her to a vet ASAP. The vet x-rayed her and discovered she has a mild case of MBD from lack of UVB and supplements by the previous owner. MBD attacks the nerves and causes involuntary leg movements...the leg is not actually broken or dislocated.

This is my girl in November
cham4-1.jpg

This is her now...with proper lights and supplements she no longer has a problem.
Annie_zps7e1df1e5.jpg

Thanks , she is my first Jackson - off to a rough start w/ me tho- but doing much better this afternoon :)
we just may take you up on that - I do plan to go to "cin city" :D someday in spring - I hear the shows are pretty nice- I have NEVER been to a show yet- do you go- how are they??

I have actually not been to the Cin-city reptile show, but I have heard that the chameleon presence is pretty small. Tom Kilgour, probably the most well known breeder in the area does not attend. I went up to the Columbus show and only saw a few chams as well. They are probably more geared toward snake breeders and owners unfortunately.

Long story short this happened to my female jacksons chameleon the day i rescued her. I panicked and took her to a vet ASAP. The vet x-rayed her and discovered she has a mild case of MBD from lack of UVB and supplements by the previous owner. MBD attacks the nerves and causes involuntary leg movements...the leg is not actually broken or dislocated.

This is my girl in November
cham4-1.jpg

This is her now...with proper lights and supplements she no longer has a problem.
Annie_zps7e1df1e5.jpg

oh wow- that is EXACTLY how it looked- so could she have mbd??? I know they gave her sup/ but the light was a little to be desired - I kinda was wondering about the lighting they had- thankfully they have not had them realllly long- but i fear for the rest :(
TY for the info

she seems to not be in to much pain, but I have no doubt it is sore

hi lil’ leaf—

i’m so sorry to heat about your initial chameleon encounter——NOT FUN!!! but i need to add two reasons why she should by seen by a competent vet ASAP.

-pain vs. sore? are you really happy with one over the other? i doubt that she is. as you may know, wild animals like chameleons virtually never show signs of pain as that is an invitation to be eaten by something else. there are wonderful new medications that would take down the swelling, give her pain/soreness relief, and allow her to get around her new environment, eat and drink, which she may not be able to do well right now. i’m going out on a limb here, but if you dislocated your leg, popped in back in but the next day it was still swollen, i would venture to guess that you would take an Advil or some other NSAID. that is what i am advocating for her. Meloxicam comes in a liquid that is easy to dose her with.

-RandJ posted an excellent bunch of thoughts above. and i too have seen “straight leg lizards” that were the result of MBD. that would need bloodwork to diagnose and some xrays. imo, it is less likely in this case only because you are seeing some swelling which is typically related to trauma, not a metabolic disease. but thank you RandJ for opening a lot of people’s eyes with your story and excellent photos/rads!

including my breeders, some new hatchlings and other youngsters, i did a rough count the other day and currently have 93 chameleons. things happen even here and i’m lucky to be able to have these kinds of medications on hand. but i sure would be giving them at this point…

good luck with whatever you decide; she is absolutely gorgeous and sounds like she is going to a great home. but take her to the vet and make it the best home.

dr o—

RandJreptiles, on the 2nd pic, does her leg always stay like that - or is it just how u caught the shot? did she put her leg in place, or did the vet ???
her leg did go back under, and seems to be in place , but that must be part of the issue, geese- these little guys- make me go crazy!! :eek: I am glad you saved her, good thing I am broke- lol I would go get the others;)

for that matter, RandJ, can you comment on whether you had ever noticed any swelling associated with that situation? i would doubt it and i have not personally seen it in those cases, but i’m curious if your situation was different than what i described above.

hi lil’ leaf—

i’m so sorry to heat about your initial chameleon encounter——NOT FUN!!! but i need to add two reasons why she should by seen by a competent vet ASAP.

-pain vs. sore? are you really happy with one over the other? i doubt that she is. as you may know, wild animals like chameleons virtually never show signs of pain as that is an invitation to be eaten by something else. there are wonderful new medications that would take down the swelling, give her pain/soreness relief, and allow her to get around her new environment, eat and drink, which she may not be able to do well right now. i’m going out on a limb here, but if you dislocated your leg, popped in back in but the next day it was still swollen, i would venture to guess that you would take an Advil or some other NSAID. that is what i am advocating for her. Meloxicam comes in a liquid that is easy to dose her with.

-RandJ posted an excellent bunch of thoughts above. and i too have seen “straight leg lizards” that were the result of MBD. that would need bloodwork to diagnose and some xrays. imo, it is less likely in this case only because you are seeing some swelling which is typically related to trauma, not a metabolic disease. but thank you RandJ for opening a lot of people’s eyes with your story and excellent photos/rads!

including my breeders, some new hatchlings and other youngsters, i did a rough count the other day and currently have 93 chameleons. things happen even here and i’m lucky to be able to have these kinds of medications on hand. but i sure would be giving them at this point…

good luck with whatever you decide; she is absolutely gorgeous and sounds like she is going to a great home. but take her to the vet and make it the best home.

dr o—

yes, I agree- those were GREAT pics - and yes- I am already waiting for a call back - I dont want her to be in pain either
thanks for your advice/help - and WOW- I was already looking at your new site - very stunning babies you have

and WOW- I was already looking at your new site - very stunning babies you have

thank yew, thank yew very much!

i’m here to help. let us know how things proceed. this is the BEST forum on the web for chameleon health and husbandry, and i’m really happy to be a new sponsor.

o—

Back
Top Bottom