OMG!! Close call

jmdavis

So I get up this morning before work like I always do and walk over to Elroy's cage to change out his feeders a water him before I leave for the day. I Zip open the screen and reach for the feeder cup that I place between some branches of his ficus and pull it out. I had left about 5 Turkestan Reds in his cup from the night before that he didn't eat so I wanted to change them out with some new ones. When I pull the cup out I look down and noticed that there was about 60 very small ants all over it and my hand :eek:.. The cup only had one little small piece of roach abdomen left in it and the rest were all gone. I was shocked and instantly put the cup down to look for Elroy and luckily I found him still alive. So I yanked his ass out of there really fast and started to inspect him for any kind of damage. There was nothing wrong with him at all thank god and he seemed to be just fine. I examined the base of his ficus and it was covered with ants at that time so I had to put him in a small cage for the time being. I really don't know where all over these ants could have come from. It seems like they just showed up over night. The only thing I could think of is the other night it was going to get really cold so I brought 3 plants in from outside so they wouldn't die. They stayed inside for about 2 days but I inspected them and there was not one single ant to be found on them. My only guess is that the somehow came in on those plants and relocated to his in the cage. I really feel that if I didn't leave those feeders in his cage last night for those ants to eat I would have woken up to a dead chameleon. My apartment is all tile and really clean and I also made sure I changed out all of the soil from the plant when I first put it in his cage a few months ago so I'm really shocked on how they came in. Has anyone had problems with ants in the past??

Wow, that is some crazy stuff! I'm so glad he's okay. I have never had insect problems here, I think it might be because we live on the second floor of an apartment complex. Not even ants during the summer...:)

When I lived in southern California, about twice a year I would get what seemed like a million ants show up in my kitchen. The guy who came out to kill they said they were coming in thru the electrical outlet. I always happened when I got really dry outside. He said they were looking for water. I hate ants and I really had a stream of them - it was awful.

Ants are a curse and I hate it when they invade lol

I put the legs of the cage stand in water when they start showing up, it helps to keep a majority of them out of the cage.

Ants are a curse and I hate it when they invade lol

I put the legs of the cage stand in water when they start showing up, it helps to keep a majority of them out of the cage.

Second it! There were no ant in my flat, but we had to deal with them in the zoo, at the bughouse, they like to eat caterpillars, so we did the same thing! Get some flowerpot-pad (dunno how to say it or how you call the thing to put under the flower pot), put water in it and stand the cage in them. Worked well!

Back
Top Bottom