Old cham health questions

RPCV

Avid Member
MadEye is about 6 years old. Good healthy life until recently. About 6 months ago his vision went and tongue stopped shooting and have been hand feeding. He still eats well, has good color and a firm grip. What has me concerned is over the last few days has developed bulges on top of the head and in the gullet area and is not moving around much. Anyone know common causes for this and what I might try to help resolve? At his age going to the vet would probably kill him. (Photo and info below - see top of head)

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male panther, 6 years in my care
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Rarely - once per month average
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? At this point mostly hornworms for moisture and superworms gut load hornworms with greens and superworms with carrots - too difficult to hand feed crickets
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repitcal with and without D3
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Does not drink anymore but still mist 2 x per day - haven't seen him drink for about 6 months and been feeding hornworms for moisture content
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Look good. Nice solid brown with large bright white urate
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? large screen
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? OK with this
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 85 and got a good handle on this
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? its complicated and under control
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? yes - pothos
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? high traffic area but has been for 6 years
Location - Where are you geographically located? Chicago area

Attachments

• IMG_1528[1].jpg
    IMG_1528[1].jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 152
I'm interest in hearing what other think. Also anything we should look out for when chams get older?

It looks like fat pads on his head. Since you started hand feeding him maybe you are feeding him to much since he's older and less active. I have a senior citizen Nosey be also. I have been hand feeding him for about 8 months now. I give him multi vitamins and a drop of liquid vitamin C once a week and he's been feeling pretty good for an old man. I think taking your guy to a good reptile vet would be an excellent idea. When my guys get older they show all the signs you mentioned above. Some of them got arthritis also and it caused them to fall so I had to put them on short trees (I free range everybody). They can get Adequan injections and Metacam for that and it helps allot. I also had one with high blood pressure, which caused his eyes to be puffy and hardening of the arteries and that caused him to have a stroke. They also get cancer. Basically they pretty much get everything that we do. It's important to have regular checkups, x-rays and blood work more often when they are older so you can stay right on top of everything.

Thanks Jann! - as a behind the scenes follower of this site for many years I value your opinion. Overfeeding is very likely. We spend so much time trying to hand feed him worried he's not getting enough and never consider he might be getting too much. The key word being "we" (I have a retired father who likes to swing by and feed the cham while we are at work). Funny thing is....sometimes its obvious just needed to be pointed out. Thinking more on it, the super worm & horn worm diet probably isn't helping much...fatty food but easiest to hand feed and provide moisture in the diet.

Back
Top Bottom