Old cage for new chameleon

Kiwiflage

Established Member
I have an extra cage that i would like to use for a new chameleon. Ive cleaned the cage but of course, im still worried about bringing home a new guy who will be stressed from a move. I dont think there was a disease that was ever introduced to the cage, but you can never be too sure.... whats the best way you all have found to disinfect a cage to prep it for a new addition(and different locale)

I've heard that people steam the entire thing down to kill parasites with a carpet steamer but that is just what I've heard.

I've heard that people steam the entire thing down to kill parasites with a carpet steamer but that is just what I've heard.
This is correct, but you could also just use a bleach solution. or just buy some F10. If it still has branches and such you may need to get creative because F10 is for no porous materials.

I have an extra cage that i would like to use for a new chameleon. Ive cleaned the cage but of course, im still worried about bringing home a new guy who will be stressed from a move. I dont think there was a disease that was ever introduced to the cage, but you can never be too sure.... whats the best way you all have found to disinfect a cage to prep it for a new addition(and different locale)
A good scrubbing with a hot water/bleach solution (1 part bleach to 10 parts water) and a thorough dry out will take care of pretty much anything you need to worry about. There are not too many diseases chams carry. I would replace the branches as they are the things a chameleon would spend the most time in contact with and the surfaces are porous. Easy enough to do.

A good scrubbing with a hot water/bleach solution (1 part bleach to 10 parts water) and a thorough dry out will take care of pretty much anything you need to worry about. There are not too many diseases chams carry. I would replace the branches as they are the things a chameleon would spend the most time in contact with and the surfaces are porous. Easy enough to do.
Thank you for the expertise!!!

Back
Top Bottom