Okay to keep enclosure open?

Owner of Pequod

1FDFC5CD-BF80-4B19-B05E-E8E0EB4FA08B.jpeg

Hey all!

I’ve got a young veiled here who im trying to let get used to his new home. Is it okay to leave the door open for a while so that he gets used to the movement coming from me? Or should i keep it closed all the time except when feeding?

Thanks!!
D5B2548A-C2CC-4FFB-8BDA-B6230474A382.jpeg

Hi and welcome! :) This isn’t a simple yes or no, I’m afraid. Ideally, if you are present and providing continuous monitoring for his safety, then yes it’s ok. However, I do see reasons that he will more than likely try to escape at every opportunity and so this could be risky. I hate being critical to new members, but please know that I am doing so and offering help if you would like it. Right now, the enclosure you have is ok for a small chameleon. However, as he grows he will quickly outgrow it and will be needing at minimum a 2x2x4’ enclosure or equivalent. Then you need to fill it full of lots of branches and vines for lots of traveling on and lots of safe live plants to drink off, hide under and even nibble. It is a challenge attaching anything to screen but there are some relatively easy solutions. I use and love Dragon Ledges. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ Recently I needed to quickly set up an enclosure and had to find an alternate way. I used pvc garden trellis that I had scraps of. I used thin wire to attach it to the enclosure frame at as many points possible. I did drill some small holes in some points of the trellis for more stability of attaching. Then I attached dowels to the trellis to which I can further add as many branches as I can. The pic shows these basic attachments - more was later added, including attaching some plants. Speaking of plants, this is super helpful. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
Anyhow, I can get carried away here, so I’ll stop for now. You asked a simple question and ended up with all this. Sorry, it’s just me. ;)

IMG_5011.jpeg

Hey there! Thanks so much for your reply!

And i absolutely hear you on the cage- i originally was going to get Pygmy chameleons but as they are extremely rare i got a veiled instead. Im going to get the exact size of cage you just mentioned, 2x2x4 soon. Since he’s still small, im going to save up for a month or two then transfer him there.

Thank you for the tips on cage decorating! Ill make sure to check out the resources you linked.

Hey there! Thanks so much for your reply!

And i absolutely hear you on the cage- i originally was going to get Pygmy chameleons but as they are extremely rare i got a veiled instead. Im going to get the exact size of cage you just mentioned, 2x2x4 soon. Since he’s still small, im going to save up for a month or two then transfer him there.

Thank you for the tips on cage decorating! Ill make sure to check out the resources you linked.
Do feel free to ask any other questions that you may have, share stories and pics of your sweet boy. Of course, this is a great place to learn about so many things, but also may help you in your quest for a pygmy.

Back
Top Bottom