Oh poo

Spunky

I saw spunky take a poop today and was a little shocked to see that it was white in color...milky-ish looking. Then the second one was darker like the others i have cleaned out of her home. Is the white normal?? Do they pee too? I know it's odd questions, but i want to make sure my baby is healthy and happy!

Poop should be brown and the have a white part on the end. the whtie is the urate (cham pee). if it is white, that means your cham is hydrated. if it is yellow or orange it needs more water. the poos should be solid looking, and msot times wil hae the white part on it.

your cham is just fine! good luck!

The urate (pee) will look sorta like awhite poo.

Thanks! Sounds like my little spunky is spot on then :) that's good to know! Ps your avatar pic is adorable!

No problem! I was the same way when i got mine. and thank you, my avatar pic is my cham, Kink. Hes that size right now, lol.

Get used to analyzing your chameleon's poop.

Chameleons are so good at hiding it when they are unhealthy that your first sign of trouble is usually their poop not looking right.

SO many chameleon owners on this forum have posted pictures of both healthy and unhealthy looking poop. I'm actually NOT kidding when I say it might be beneficial for you to look at a couple of those pictures to get an idea of what a nice, healthy poop looks like, and what warning signs to look for in an unhealthy one.

Camimom- he looks like a cuddly disney character lol

And i will def. Keep an eye on spunky's poop and check out the pics on here. I'm a mom to 4 girls and i worked at a retirement home as a nurse, so a little poo doesn't bother me lol

Camimom- he looks like a cuddly disney character lol

And i will def. Keep an eye on spunky's poop and check out the pics on here. I'm a mom to 4 girls and i worked at a retirement home as a nurse, so a little poo doesn't bother me lol

hes so great. and he loves to come out and chill, once i get him out loll He snot mean about it, he just like wtf is this 'thing' coming at my butt? lol
how old is spunky?

Im not really sure how old she is. I just got her for my bday from petsmart. She's not very big though. She hisses at me when i try to take her out of her home. But if/when i do get her out, she likes to crawl up in my hair and chill outontop of my head. She's also curled her little tail around my finger and fallen asleep. It was the cutest thing ever :) i could sit her all day and watch her but i think my human kids get jealous lol

haha, yea, mine gets annoyed at first when he comes out, but then he chills out, hes fallen asleep on my finger several times.
How long is she from nose to tip of tail?

I watch mine for hours. lol. I have no human kids, but got lots of furry ones.

She's about 5 inches or so. And i think she's a she lol. I read on here that males have little bumps under their tail and tarsal spurs on their back feet. Spunky's feet are pretty flat across. I also read that chameleons usually don't like their reflections but she seems to love looking at herself. Guess she's vain lol she also loves to spend afternoons looking out the window at the dogs and horses outside. I thought she might be scared and stressed by them but it doesn't seem to be the case. She just sits on her little vine and watches em for hours. Never knew i could love a chameleon so instantly or so much! Lol

sounds like she may be around 4-5 months, I think.
If you aren't totally sure about gende,r you could post a pic of the back of the back feet, and you are correc,t males have spurs.
And thats funny she likes the mirror. I havent tried to put mine in front of one yet, but he doesnt get stressed by activity.hes in my living room where I spend most of my day, and where my 11 week old english setter and my foster german shorthaired pointer rough house all day long and could care less, just spends his time cage cruising.

Get used to analyzing your chameleon's poop...

Howdy Spunky,

You've probably seen clips of farmers grabbing a handful of soil, rubbing it between their hands, holding it up to their nose and taking a deep whiff... Well don't do that with chameleon poop :rolleyes:.

Here's a couple of shots of what chameleon poop and urates look like when things are pretty normal:

PantherPoop.jpg
PantherUrates.jpg

Here's an example of what poop and urates shouldn't look like. This was from a keeper's constipated and dehydrated (orange urates) panther. I gave it a couple of cc's of 50/50 water and Pedialyte. The results showed-up the next morning...
SambavaPoop.jpg

I'd just like to note that this is the gold standard for poop pictures, so no one ever needs to feel bad for posting a picture of poop. We've seen it all, we've seen it close up and we're better for the experience. So, if you are the least concerned about the quality of poop you are seeing, post a picture!

pics

here are a couple of pics of Spunky. one of her just looking out the window...or maybe at herself and one showing her feet and size :)

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 71
I was just tucking into a Feta cheese salad when I saw the above poop pic. Haha nice. I will now never look at Feta cheese in the same way :-( LOL

Looks like Spunky is a.......... female!

And she is almost double the size of mine, and mine is about 8-9 weeks. Very cute.
Do yo uhave the info on egg laying? Females will lay even when not bred.

I know they dig in the sand to lay their eggs, but that's about the extent of my egg knowledge. Guess i have some research to do! Do y'all know how old females are when they start laying eggs? Does she need anything special when this starts? What do i do with the eggs after she lays them?:confused: Goodness, i really do feel like a brand new mommy again lol! :p

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you didn't know the white stuff was urate, you need to do A LOT more research in order to keep this cham healthy and successfully... Please fill this out:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Back
Top Bottom