Oh my... what a day...

Sorry to hear that you've had such a terrible day. :(

Sorry to hear that the Senegal babies are still dying too. I was hoping you had found the reason. Have you made any other changes since the temperature changes you made?

How long have you had the sternfeldi? The babies were moving in your hand? Did you try removing the membrane covering them without detatching the yolk sack?

Can you post pictures of the oustalet's eggs? When did she mate with the male?

Sorry to hear that you've had such a terrible day. :(

Sorry to hear that the Senegal babies are still dying too. I was hoping you had found the reason. Have you made any other changes since the temperature changes you made?

How long have you had the sternfeldi? The babies were moving in your hand? Did you try removing the membrane covering them without detatching the yolk sack?

Can you post pictures of the oustalet's eggs? When did she mate with the male?

With the Senegals, they were doing great, they were eating tons, and were active... I can't figure it out.

The sternfeldi was pretty new, had her for about 2 weeks. I removed the membrane so they could breathe and left the yolk sack attached, but the yolk was about the size of the baby and the babies were half the size they should be. It was pretty sad, 7 of the 9 died within 10 minutes, and two lived for a couple of hours but were laying on their sides and couldn't move and were just doing horribly. All they could do was look around, so I euthanized them by injecting euthanasia solution into their umbilical opening.

I will post a picture of the recent egg my Oustalets dropped, it was really odd, it was an egg connected to a long string of yolk with albumin attached. Hard to explain, but I will post a picture. She really doesn't have an enlarged abdomen, but she is still showing gravid coloration. She has dropped 4 eggs so far and one pseudo egg (pictures will show what I'm talking about).

It bothered me that there was the membrane joining the eggs since a the "uterus" in a chameleon looks like a thin membrane. I hope that wasn't what was joining the eggs together. When did they mate??

I'll be back after...gotta go water (nocturnal) geckos and change turtle/tortoise water (they don't interrupt me when the lights are out!).

wowzer, thats mighty tough i must say, wish i was there to help you gather your roaches and keep all ur Chammys, But maybe this link will chear U up a lil;
http://www.earthquestadventures.com/
they r gonna need lotsa good people to help work here, gee, u should apply for the position of distrubting excotic Chammys, i've applied for a Keeper position, it's gonna be a wonderful project with much rescues and rear critters, just imagine, a home for thousands of chammys
hope U enjoy the article and the website is so beauitful as it explaines each area and it's purpose

Thanks :) It is nice to come on here and vent about chameleon related issues because most of our family and friends that aren't into chameleons don't understand... but we on here all sure do!

...and we all know our spoiled CHAMS don't appreciate us either! Or at least you'll never get one to admit it. That's why we have forums...and dogs.

Hang in there! - Could you toss the chickens in the garage for an hour or so each day to take care of the roaches?:eek:

LOL! I am the only person around here with dubia roaches. I barter some to a pet shop and a beardie keeper in Juneau for feeders I can't raise, and when the colony gets too big I chill down and then freeze a bunch of adults for a neighbor's chickens. They love them!

At least when my bin fell off its shelf releasing just about all of 1000 several months ago I can be sure the escapes won't survive the winter.

That is so true, our reptiles couldn't care less if we humans lived or died for the most part, so we need our dogs to counterbalance that somewhat :rolleyes:

I was really worried about seeing that membrane. It did look like the uterus, but more thin than a typical uterus. I am hoping it was excessive mucous due to a different issue, hopefully not a parasitic issue affecting the oviduct. The egg she dropped yesterday had no mucous around it, it had what looked like a ruptured egg that had hardened (I must have thrown it away, couldn't find a picture). I know it is very difficult to identify the urodeum and proctodeum in the cloaca, but has anyone ever heard of them doing any sort of lavage to rinse ruptured egg yolk?
I will have to look through my old posts, but I think it was about a month ago that they mated. After that, when I would spy on her, she would remain inflated, but she had very few eggs in her and when I palpated her abdomen, I could feel nothing, and when she would deflate, she was a normal size, and after a month, I still can't feel any eggs, and she has gravid coloration once again. It was the oddest thing. It was almost like a pseudopregnancy seen in mammals. She turned gravid, inflated her abdomen, but... nothing. This is the definition if pseudopregnancy or pseudocyesis in mammals that I copied and pasted from Wiki, but just think of it in relation to reptiles:
Pseudocyesis (sū'dōsīē'sĭs), imaginary pregnancy in women usually resulting from a strong desire or need for motherhood. In the absence of conception, the menstrual periods nevertheless cease, the abdomen becomes enlarged and the breasts swell and even secrete milk, mimicking genuine pregnancy. The uterus and cervix may show signs of pregnancy, urine tests may be falsely positive, and the woman may report sensations of fetal movements. A woman may believe in her pregnancy to the point of delusion and show acute depression when no baby is born. It has been suggested that depression can sometimes alter the activity of the pituitary gland so as to cause hormone level changes that mimic the hormone changes of real pregnancy.
I'm not just talking about a reptile being gravid with infertile eggs, this is different with my Oustie. Pituitary tumors can also be responsible for reproductive abnormalities. What do you think?

I've had that happen with a few females and often I've found it to be a bacterial infection in their abdomens. We lost a female deremensis because we thought she was gravid. Looking back, she really didn't act any different than any other of our gravid chams. Postmortem resulted in a few eggs that looked like they went bad but nothing to account for her stoutness. Have you had any stool samples done lately?

It's good to see others dedicated to Senegals as well!

Luis

I had one veiled chameleon that was bitten hard on the side when the male was trying to mate with her. He must have caused some damage to the reproductive area that is responsible for shelling because after that she would produce "1/2" a clutch of fertile eggs followed by "1/2" a clutch of unshelled eggs. My vet called it yolkeria (sp?). She did this for a couple of years before she finally died. We both expected that she would get an infection and die...but she didn't.

I don't know about lavage in these cases...but I do remember reading an article about breaking eggs inside a female because they were too large...and I wondered then how they would ensure that the female didn't get an infection from anything left behind. But then maybe some "stuff" can be resorbed?

Back
Top Bottom