Oh my f god. Parasites on crickets?

leedragon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So finished feeding 2 of the 4 babies when I noticed this in my cricket bin. It's like a squeezed cricket with a maggot coming half way out of it. When I move the bin or blow on it it wiggles. It has me f Ed up. What do I do? Do I try to fecth the crickets out of the 2 enclosures I fed? Do I burn the bin with the crickets? Do I just pick it with an alcohol whipe and just keep on feeding the crickets?

Photo please.
Including the maggot.
How big is the maggot.
It's not. Horsehair worm, is it.

Last edited:
Photo please.
Including the maggot.
How big is the maggot.
It's not. Horsehair worm, is it.
Well the crickets are 5 mm ca. So the video gives you a idea. I don't think so unless the black hair things in the other end is that and not the crickets antenna.

From the video, it does look like a cricket molting. Though that could just be the poor video quality? Is there any way that you can take a close-up photo?

If you are concerned, I would probably take the crickets out of the baby cages until you can be certain what is going on--whether it is a cricket molting or a parasite. Always best to err on the side of caution.

From the video, it does look like a cricket molting. Though that could just be the poor video quality? Is there any way that you can take a close-up photo?

If you are concerned, I would probably take the crickets out of the baby cages until you can be certain what is going on--whether it is a cricket molting or a parasite. Always best to err on the side of caution.

You may be right. I took a better look and light and looks like a cricket molting? This new babies, my low sight and edgy pathogen thing may have gotten the worse of me.

You may be right. I took a better look and light and looks like a cricket molting? This new babies, my low sight and edgy pathogen thing may have gotten the worse of me.

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything concerning.

And I get that. I'm sure I would do the same thing given the same circumstances. What babies are you feeding? 😃 Jacksonii?

You should have seen my panic when the chest of a WC frog eyed sand gecko I had erupted with maggots one day. It was terrible!
I don't know what I would have done in that situation. Probable burn myself or something. I am still not hundred this was a molting cricket but I just gonna go by that with the second vid I posted which it looked like that.

BTW what did you end up doing when that happen with the gecko?

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything concerning.

And I get that. I'm sure I would do the same thing given the same circumstances. What babies are you feeding? 😃 Jacksonii?
Yes 4 jacksonii jacksonii babies. Went by train from Sweden to Belgium to get them. And adventure by itself but perhaps a story for an other day haha

I don't know what I would have done in that situation. Probable burn myself or something. I am still not hundred this was a molting cricket but I just gonna go by that with the second vid I posted which it looked like that.

BTW what did you end up doing when that happen with the gecko?
I panicked at first...flushed most of the maggots but realized I should keep a couple so I could find out what they were. I think they were living off his body...he died a few days later despite treatment sadly.

I panicked at first...flushed most of the maggots but realized I should keep a couple so I could find out what they were. I think they were living off his body...he died a few days later despite treatment sadly.
Oh I put that cricket on a plastic box and was thinkinh about taking to the vet when I go to the check up of one of the babies´ treatment.
I asked Necas to have a look, he adviced me it was a fly maggot. A bit too large for it to be a fruit fly maggot and now in winter is too cold for housflies. But perhaps it came from the breeders in Holland where the store I buy from get their feeders.

But man. that must have been really disturbing. Did it put you off taking on Wc? or changed your approach on how to deal with them?

It didn't put me off WC's ...just made me more aware of things to watch out for. Made me realize quarantining was important and some caution when dealing with sick ones....most of the time.
I did handle the Parson's with CANV though before I knew what it was...but then the vets did too.

Only way to know what the maggot was from....if you're was a maggot would be to let it grow or ask an entomologist I think.

It didn't put me off WC's ...just made me more aware of things to watch out for. Made me realize quarantining was important and some caution when dealing with sick ones....most of the time.
I did handle the Parson's with CANV though before I knew what it was...but then the vets did too.

Only way to know what the maggot was from....if you're was a maggot would be to let it grow or ask an entomologist I think.
You are more resiliant than I am. Something like that happens tome I would run the other way.
On that note. I need to learn how to properly do quarantine.

I still have it on the plastic box, but it wasn´t moving anymore when I checked out earlier today. I don´t know if the vet could say what it was if dead and dried.

You are more resiliant than I am. Something like that happens tome I would run the other way.
On that note. I need to learn how to properly do quarantine.

I still have it on the plastic box, but it wasn´t moving anymore when I checked out earlier today. I don´t know if the vet could say what it was if dead and dried.
Believe me ...at times I wanted to run the other way.

This might be of interest to you...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/quarantine.36078/

Back
Top Bottom