Odd behaviour?

Dosdallas

First post here guys!
I have a 5 month old nosy b, who I recently just moved from my bedroom to paint into a spare room. In the last two days of him not being in my room with me, I’ve noticed some odd behaviour. When I go into to check on him I’ve found him near the bottom of his enclosure with substrate on his little mitts, but never on the bottom, always tail clung to a branch, and now he seems amused with the water container from his dripper, which is also closer to the bottom. But when I come into the room, he zooms back up to his perch, like I caught him in the act. When he’s at the bottom he’s a dark colour, but when he’s at the top he’s back to his bright beautiful colours ??‍♀️
TAI

EB2F3170-8744-4928-9304-57058EDACE53.jpeg
C16BEDC4-481F-405E-99C1-B39FE48BEA23.jpeg

He is a cutie! Also looks more like an Ambilobe than a Nosy Be imo.

Have you had your husbandry reviewed yet? Would be a good idea if this is your first cham. Just answer these questions and post pics of his enclosure: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

He does seem to look more that way doesn't he :) either way he is a beauty!

I have just recently moved him into his forever home. This was my first build, so I hope that it lasts. I mean its large enough that even I fit inside of it.

Attachments

• 6334DC3C-102B-4306-8383-9C0421219976.JPG
    6334DC3C-102B-4306-8383-9C0421219976.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6708.jpg
    IMG_6708.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 75
What a mansion! I can already see some changes that'll need to be made. But before I start making suggestions. Can you answer these questions?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

What a mansion! I can already see some changes that'll need to be made. But before I start making suggestions. Can you answer these questions?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Nosy B/Amb - Male/ 5 Months / 4 months in my care

Somewhat Daily

Crickets/Hornworms/ As much as he would like to eat in a sitting (usually 10 or more)/ twice daily/ crickets are fed fruits and veg high in vit A

Zoo Med Reptivite Reptile Vit with D3 10 Crickets dusted a week

Fogger/Drippers x2

Dark/White/Sometimes a tinge of orange. I have seen it more on the wet side, but not frequently.

Cage:
Screen 2.3x3x5.5

Zoo Med Mini Dome with Flunkers 60 w and Zoo med 10. UVB bulb
lighting times are 7am-820pm

Temp:
Top 75-80
Mid 70
Bottom 68-70
over night 70

Hum:
Top 70
Mid 50
Bottom 40
Have several Temp/Hum gages in the cage
Fogger/ two drippers/ Hand misting

Plant: Camellia/Grape Vines/Drift Wood
Fake Zoomed Plants and vine
highest poingt is 5.5ft

Located in Canada!

- I'd start cutting back on his feeding to just once daily in the morning.
- What specific fruits and veggies do you use for gutload?
- You'll also want to add in calcium without D3 and calcium with D3 to his supplement routine. This video goes over the proper supplement schedule and why we need to use them:

- You'll want to upgrade him to a T5 HO linear UVB. I'd recommend the Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. The one you have right now, does not penetrate more than 2-3 inches into his enclosure. I test a bunch of UVB bulbs in this video and you can see for yourself:

- What's your reason for having your lights go off at 8:20pm? Seems like a random time. 12 hours on and 12 hours off is the recommendation.
- He needs a higher basking temp at his age. Closer to 85-90F

- I'd also see if you can add in more plants towards the left side of the enclosure.

He looks healthy...so maybe it's just because you moved his cage?

Moving a cage (his territory) can be a big thing for a cham. Consider how intensely visual they are. Their behavior relies on visual clues almost exclusively. They don't rely on sound, taste or smell nearly as much. You just changed his entire world. Makes complete sense that he freaked out a bit. When the world was restored to "normal" so was he.

Moving a cage (his territory) can be a big thing for a cham. Consider how intensely visual they are. Their behavior relies on visual clues almost exclusively. They don't rely on sound, taste or smell nearly as much. You just changed his entire world. Makes complete sense that he freaked out a bit. When the world was restored to "normal" so was he.
I had only temp moved him to paint. He was in his first home just in a different room. Once my room was painted he was moved back in with his first home so he could adjust to the new paint colour of my room. I then had to build his new home, which he has now been in for 3 days and adjusted very well!

- I'd start cutting back on his feeding to just once daily in the morning.
- What specific fruits and veggies do you use for gutload?
- You'll also want to add in calcium without D3 and calcium with D3 to his supplement routine. This video goes over the proper supplement schedule and why we need to use them:

- You'll want to upgrade him to a T5 HO linear UVB. I'd recommend the Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. The one you have right now, does not penetrate more than 2-3 inches into his enclosure. I test a bunch of UVB bulbs in this video and you can see for yourself:

- What's your reason for having your lights go off at 8:20pm? Seems like a random time. 12 hours on and 12 hours off is the recommendation.
- He needs a higher basking temp at his age. Closer to 85-90F

- I'd also see if you can add in more plants towards the left side of the enclosure.

I will get om these changes!

Thabnk you very much for your input! I greatly appericate it :)

I have been gut feeding the bugs with Carrots, Apples, Orange peppers.
Horn worms are getting egg plants, and tomatoes.

I also have a Hibiscus ordered for may for the other side of his home!

Since I have changed his basking bulb from 60W to 100W he seems to be "Gaping". Do you think the bulb maybe to close or too warm now?

Thank you again for your input!

The red yellow, green & blue colors indicate he's an ambilobe, a beautiful one!! He looks mellow also

Back
Top Bottom