NY Reptile Expo Pix (1-8-12)

it's definitely legal. the vendor had about 3 tables lined up with tons of different animals..frogs, snakes, toads, geckos, tarantulas, and a bunch of various lizards..all in those same cups.

i guess they either didn't have the space for cages, since they were not specifically selling chams, or maybe they figured they wouldn't be in the cups long..or, they just didn't care.

They just don't care. I have bought from them before. Everything is WC so you really have to take a good look at what they are selling. I did get a wonderful female peacock who is doing very nicely.

This was the worst show Ive seen for chameleons in a long time. Vince was not there and debbie from jungle jewels was not there. She had other people vending for her and there where no chams there.

There was a guy on the stage that had literally a hundred senegals. There were in large tubs behind the vendors.

When I do shows I carry about 5 or more display cages for all our babies and the one or two adults we may bring. Its alot more work to do things this way. And most vendors that do not breed their own animals they are selling do not have the equipment or the desire to display them in proper caging. We have to pack lighting fixtures and cords to illuminate all the caging. Flippers and brokers dont care about proper caging or teaching new owners about proper husbandry. They only want the $$$ and the animal off their table. So next time you go to a show ppl talk with your wallet. Dont buy from these types. I see how ppl walk by my tables with my higher prices and they go to these guys and buy cupped chams that are obviously wc and cheaper. I try to educate the newbs that these are wc chams and even a person like myself with yrs of exp has only a 50% chance of acclimatting a wc to caged life. I cringe every single time I see someone bypass my cb's and then go buy a wc because of price. Right after they just told me this is going to be their first chameleon. And I just spent half an hr going over gutloading & caging & lighting. :rolleyes:

They just don't care. I have bought from them before. Everything is WC so you really have to take a good look at what they are selling. I did get a wonderful female peacock who is doing very nicely.

This was the worst show Ive seen for chameleons in a long time. Vince was not there and debbie from jungle jewels was not there. She had other people vending for her and there where no chams there.

There was a guy on the stage that had literally a hundred senegals. There were in large tubs behind the vendors.

agreed, it wasn't great.

i'm pretty sure the vendor with the senegals was Outback Reptiles...just about everything they sell, with the exception of the ball, boa and colubrid morphs, is WC and almost always in pretty bad shape.

I'd want to bring them all home - poor guys.

This is why I will never buy from a shop or dealer again. Breeders are the way to go.

I would be put in jail.
I would steal every single animal i saw being housed like that. the cupped chams, the frogs, everything.
ANd while I dont like snakes, id probably take them too, then give them away to soemoen who can properly care for them.

If I didnt end up in jail,
Id be on ehre going i have 200 chams, takem while their hot! :p

Yeah, I have to agree that those chams are probably crying so hard on the inside :( but I would love a reptile expo here! I don't know if there is actually... But I wouldn't take my dad. He would probably buy a snake or something :eek:

Senegals

He was scooping them up by the hand full and throwing them into the small tank they were displayed in.

Sad and disturbing. If you guys want to see some good stuff come to the Reading PA. show on Jan 21st. How's that for a plug?

I assume care "level" is about the same difficulty as a Cham. I am doing some reading now. This (Dart enclosure)will be a project for my office, a long with a Pink Toe Tarantula. (Thanks Dan "DansDragons")

Chams are harder to keep. Darts don't need UVB bulbs or any special lighting. When setting up a terrarium for them you never have to clean it.

I really want to go to a reptile show but seeing them in small cups like that would really upset me. Breeders don't ship them in that small of cup do they if they were sub adult/ adults ?

agreed, it wasn't great.

i'm pretty sure the vendor with the senegals was Outback Reptiles...just about everything they sell, with the exception of the ball, boa and colubrid morphs, is WC and almost always in pretty bad shape.

thats who i figured it was. from time to time the animals are in good shape. I bought a nice male pferreri from them in november.

he is doing fine. just starting to put on some weight now.

When I do shows I carry about 5 or more display cages for all our babies and the one or two adults we may bring. Its alot more work to do things this way. And most vendors that do not breed their own animals they are selling do not have the equipment or the desire to display them in proper caging. We have to pack lighting fixtures and cords to illuminate all the caging. Flippers and brokers dont care about proper caging or teaching new owners about proper husbandry. They only want the $$$ and the animal off their table. So next time you go to a show ppl talk with your wallet. Dont buy from these types. I see how ppl walk by my tables with my higher prices and they go to these guys and buy cupped chams that are obviously wc and cheaper. I try to educate the newbs that these are wc chams and even a person like myself with yrs of exp has only a 50% chance of acclimatting a wc to caged life. I cringe every single time I see someone bypass my cb's and then go buy a wc because of price. Right after they just told me this is going to be their first chameleon. And I just spent half an hr going over gutloading & caging & lighting. :rolleyes:

This man speaks the truth!

Back
Top Bottom