not using the bathroom

tracysimpson

I currently have a female ambilobe ive been taking her to the vet,this next time will make 5 times. He is a a vet but hes really not giving me any answers. He gave her antibiotics,vitamins and also have her some fluids. She has been sick now for about a month, she got alittle better after this. Shes not climbing I have nothing in her cage but a towel and food bowl. (don't want her to get hurt) My biggest concern with her is that shes not using the bathroom oh and Thursday he gave her medis for using the bathroom told me should be 24 hours and she should go. Well she still hasn't gone its been at least 3 weeks since she has used the bathroom. If anyone could please help me I really need it. I take her back to the vet this Thursday im hoping for some answers. Im not wanting to but her threw any more stress my guess is that he is going to want to do a xray. Ive spend over 200 dollars on vet bills and I feel that ive gotten no where..... :(((:)(

I currently have a female ambilobe ive been taking her to the vet,this next time will make 5 times. He is a a vet but hes really not giving me any answers. He gave her antibiotics,vitamins and also have her some fluids. She has been sick now for about a month, she got alittle better after this. Shes not climbing I have nothing in her cage but a towel and food bowl. (don't want her to get hurt) My biggest concern with her is that shes not using the bathroom oh and Thursday he gave her medis for using the bathroom told me should be 24 hours and she should go. Well she still hasn't gone its been at least 3 weeks since she has used the bathroom. If anyone could please help me I really need it. I take her back to the vet this Thursday im hoping for some answers. Im not wanting to but her threw any more stress my guess is that he is going to want to do a xray. Ive spend over 200 dollars on vet bills and I feel that ive gotten no where..... :(((:)(

also she is around 2 and her appetite is gone she maybe eats twice a week

any help please????

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry no one is helping you so far.

If the vet hasn't given you any answers, how do you know he/she actually knows what he/she's doing?

If they're prescribing meds for something they don't know is happening, then I would change the vet.

See if you can get a reptile vet because giving meds and no answers doesn't seem to add up.

Also try dripping small amounts of water near the chameleons mouth and over the nose. See if it will drink. Maybe it's constipation (or impaction) and I would definitely focus on water for the bathroom thing.

I'm sorry no one is helping you so far.

If the vet hasn't given you any answers, how do you know he/she actually knows what he/she's doing?

If they're prescribing meds for something they don't know is happening, then I would change the vet.

See if you can get a reptile vet because giving meds and no answers doesn't seem to add up.

Also try dripping small amounts of water near the chameleons mouth and over the nose. See if it will drink. Maybe it's constipation (or impaction) and I would definitely focus on water for the bathroom thing.

yes I take her to a reptile vet and he went to school for chameleons but he just says it could be a number of things :( she will drink water but as far as eating goes not so good I just feel like im running out of opitions :"( I just gave her a warm bathe hoping that will help. Theres not much information online.

The most basic reason she's not pooping is that she's not eating...there's not much to pass. All these meds and handling can certainly upset her appetite and reduce the amount of water she's drinking...which just compounds the problem.

If this were my cham I think I'd go back to basics...stop ALL medications (why was she on antibiotics anyway?) and try to get her back on a regular misting and drinking routine. As little stress as possible, so you need to replace her privacy foliage. The cage will stay too dry without foliage anyway. Offer her softer bodied insects that are carefully gutloaded with fresh fruit and leafy greens. If she's trying to drink you can drip some Pedialyte on her snout to give her a boost and some electrolytes and sugars.

The most basic reason she's not pooping is that she's not eating...there's not much to pass. All these meds and handling can certainly upset her appetite and reduce the amount of water she's drinking...which just compounds the problem.

If this were my cham I think I'd go back to basics...stop ALL medications (why was she on antibiotics anyway?) and try to get her back on a regular misting and drinking routine. As little stress as possible, so you need to replace her privacy foliage. The cage will stay too dry without foliage anyway. Offer her softer bodied insects that are carefully gutloaded with fresh fruit and leafy greens. If she's trying to drink you can drip some Pedialyte on her snout to give her a boost and some electrolytes and sugars.

He have her antibiotics because she was really weak from not eating or drinking,after he gave her that she started drinking and ate alittle the only thing I can get her to get is meal worms she wont eat crickets. I think they are to fast for her. I feel so bad because she just sits there it like her back to legs don't work right... Thank you so much for the advice im going to talk this over with my fiancé but I feel the same way as to what you stated. Now as far as fruits and greens do you have any suggestion as to what kind and how to get her to eat them?

Wait so she was eating, but not pooping? Or which way?

since I notice she was sick she has ate at least 5-6 mealworms in the past two weeks and been drinking most of them days and hasn't no used the bathroom at all. since I took her to the vet last week her eating has almost stopped maybe one mealworm since last thursday

since I notice she was sick she has ate at least 5-6 mealworms in the past two weeks and been drinking most of them days and hasn't no used the bathroom at all. since I took her to the vet last week her eating has almost stopped maybe one mealworm since last thursday

So she did eat, but she hasn't pooped. She should have pooped at least once (maybe) if she was eating the mealworms.

I really don't know what to say though :(

I just think maybe going with Carlton's advice will be the best bet though

So she did eat, but she hasn't pooped. She should have pooped at least once (maybe) if she was eating the mealworms.

I really don't know what to say though :(

I just think maybe going with Carlton's advice will be the best bet though

Yea that's what im thinking. Thanks for you help :)

If she's hanging out on the bottom of the cage, it could be possible that she is gravid. Just a thought.

If she's hanging out on the bottom of the cage, it could be possible that she is gravid. Just a thought.

yes we have thought that also the problem is shes not climbing not really using her back legs so if she is I don't think she could dig but im thinking im going to do what they said and try and put a bin in there and hope for the best

He have her antibiotics because she was really weak from not eating or drinking,after he gave her that she started drinking and ate alittle the only thing I can get her to get is meal worms she wont eat crickets. I think they are to fast for her. I feel so bad because she just sits there it like her back to legs don't work right... Thank you so much for the advice im going to talk this over with my fiancé but I feel the same way as to what you stated. Now as far as fruits and greens do you have any suggestion as to what kind and how to get her to eat them?

The fresh fruit and greens are for the feeders to gut load them. I know my problem with Popeye is not the same but he went off his eating and didn't poop for 3-4 weeks. Taking him into the sun and letting him do lots of walking round the garden also increasing his hydration helped him go.

The fresh fruit and greens are for the feeders to gut load them. I know my problem with Popeye is not the same but he went off his eating and didn't poop for 3-4 weeks. Taking him into the sun and letting him do lots of walking round the garden also increasing his hydration helped him go.

Ok thanks I'm gonna try hard to get my sweetie better thank you

ok update my fiancé wanted me to take her to the vet apt we had so I did and he has given up on her said theres nothing else he can do. So I have been giving her pedialyte and trying some baby food. She seems to really like the pedialyte. So my question now is that she did poop today but her food was whole...any thoughts as to what would be going on???

Post some photos of her please.

You said your vet gave her antibiotics because she wasn't eating or pooping, that makes no sense what so ever.

antibiotics are to fight infections, it wont fix a lack of appetite.

I agree with stopping ALL medications and trying to get her to eat some soft bodied worms.

Please post photos of her so we can see what she looks like, see if we see any issues.

If her back legs aren't working, she could be egg bound.

I think you need a new vet.

Back
Top Bottom