Not the BFFs I had wanted them to be.

SpinyFranky

So yesterday at the Pomona reptile show I purchased a Sambava juve. Brought him home, built/furnished his new home and such.

What ive been noticing so far, is mainly a concern with my other chameleon. She is ambilobe/tamatave mix. Currently their cages are next to each other.

Last night when I put the sambava in his home she saw him ( no barrier ) and took off running to the opposite side of her cage. He sorta just does not care.

To alleviate, what I did is put a white trash bag between the two cages to act as a barrier. However this isn't working, she still stays far from anywhere near his side, and both refused to eat tonight and earlier this afternoon. She usually stuffs her face.
I removed the trash bag and moved the cages farther apart from each other. Also opened the window for some better ventilation ( they both reside in my bedroom :D )

Does anyone have any advice on how to get them both a little calmer? Would be really great if both started eating the sambava is around 5 months old and the ambi/tam mix is just nearing 5 months.

helps?

Just let them settle and not see eachother. She was probably freaked out by the trash bag AND him.

A new enviornment may do that. Like pssh said, give them time to settle.

Who did you get your Sambava from?

Tiki Tiki of course :p

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pssh was right. I Offered them both food again, and the ambilobe/tam ( I call her isabella (used to be sunshine )) started eating right away out of her cup. It feels good to hear the "pings" again. :)

Male is still refusing.

Ryan, was he used to crickets? or some other feeders? Im trying to get him used to cup feeding :p

Ryan, was he used to crickets? or some other feeders? Im trying to get him used to cup feeding :p

I fed him crickets , supers, silkworms , hornworms you name it...

I don't cup feed often only two of my chameleons. I like to give them the chance to hunt, walk around and be a chameleon. I would assume he would eventually take to cup feeding just may take a little bit of learning. He has never eaten from a cup, but he was a big eater and drinker. He was one of two hold backs I kept from that clutch.

If you are interested :The sire from the Kammers El Lobo and the female was from a really good blood line as well (Loki).

El Lobo is simply amazing, hehehhe I so want one of his babies!!!!:cool:
:cool:

My next cham however will hopefully be a baby nosy faly from Chameleons North West. They sold me that ambi/tam and she has just turned out great so far.

By the way Ryan, your verrucosus at the show was just awesome! was it a M or F?

Man, if I wasn't pursuing nosy faly so badly, and if I had more space I would have totally purchased him/her as well. Beautiful animal! looked like a little tank going around there! Sadly My room has no room for a 20x20x40 cage at the moment :( the faly himself is gonna be a big squish.

Ive decided to cup feed all current and future chams simply because they live in my bedroom. It could be disastrous if I had some feeder escapees roaming around :(
That and with my old verrucosus ( who was given a new home :p ) the crickets would hide under leaves and in the soil of plants, so much so that it became a big issue.

Update

Just some new news, Isabella is eating like normal again. Though she still stays far away from the side of cage near Luciano ( the sambava ). Meanwhile Luciano explores all day long, but refuses to eat from a cup ( odd since... Isabella took the cup within hours :( )

Im not sure what to do at this point... I Guess maybe start free ranging his food... which worries me a bit since im not always around to supervise. Any advice/tips? Im not used to a cham not eating.... normally its the cham eats too much.

I have quite a few chameleons and am never around to supervise feedings. I have panthers I have never seen eat in front of me. Throw in crickets, if he doesn't eat them all , take them out that night.

Also opened the window for some better ventilation ( they both reside in my bedroom :D )

I would be cautious of leaving a window open near your chameleon's cages. When you got your heat lamps on and humidty/misting up and have an outside breeze blowing, can be chilling for you chameleon. You can do this on a hot summer breeze, but I would be hesitant doing it in the winter (even with So Cal's mild weather). The ambient temperature swing would be too drastic for young chams. You are potentially risking URI for your chameleons. If anything a small oscillating fan would do the trick for this time of year for ventilation (even at that I would be cautious... keep the windows closed).

Back
Top Bottom