not sure the issue

Chameleon Estevez

for a bout five days Ol Chesters crest puffed up or should I say looked swollen. he was still active and all the regular jazz, anything I tried to look up suggested he was overeating or getting to close to his heat lamp. he was hangin round at the top of his cage a while, it is getting warmer out to now that its full on spring, and he has been eating monters crickets lately. his crest seems normal again and he's still his cranky old self. trying to post then and now photes.

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 252
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 219
  • more Apr 2012 030.jpg
    more Apr 2012 030.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 195
He does look slightly pudgy.. and some left over shed in the last photo.. maybe an expert will come by and see something else but I wouldn't be overly sweating it.
He sure is pretty :)

Wow...he's totally a dude, isn't he?

I suspect you might be over feeding him a bit... but I might be wrong. I really want someone experienced with veileds to chime in, but from what I understand, the "casque" has "fat pads" and if the chameleon is "in the land of plenty" it stores fat in its crest for "the dark times". So, a fatty casque is evidence of a somewhat over fed chameleon.

Again...that's just based on reading, not experience, so hopefully someone with experience will step up and offer ideas.

Wow...he's totally a dude, isn't he?

I suspect you might be over feeding him a bit... but I might be wrong. I really want someone experienced with veileds to chime in, but from what I understand, the "casque" has "fat pads" and if the chameleon is "in the land of plenty" it stores fat in its crest for "the dark times". So, a fatty casque is evidence of a somewhat over fed chameleon.

Again...that's just based on reading, not experience, so hopefully someone with experience will step up and offer ideas.

Did not notice that, I thought I was looking for an issue in the last pic ;) Good call I looked it up and read very similar. Thanks Eliza!

His size should eat roughly 5-8 crickets every other day imo. What is he eating now?

I think he has been overeating(little pig) he can pretty much help himself whenever he wants, he gets the calcium supps and is misted and drinks regularly, hardly ever gets handled any more because he's a jerk. three year old, with me since day 1. huge refrigerator sized cage. pretty active, he has a circuit he likes to do and if any loose crickets get in his way they are doomed. hibiscuss for plant life and he chomps on those too, poo packages look same as always and as regular as always. resides in British Columbia eh. I'll adjust his feeding sitch and reg the ammount of crickets/wax worms he gets. he seems to be back to his old self I wasnt too worried, before him I had a male vieled for five years and never saw his casque get puffy, so was just something new I had not seen before.

the dreaded form

Your Chameleon - male vieled 3 yr old got as baby

Handling - less handling over the years hes kinda mean

Feeding - eats crickets and wax worms dusted with calcium supps, probably 4 twice a day, crickets are 5 week and up.no real feeding sched he can help himself at the moment but he ussually chows at around 11am and again round 3 or 4 gutloaded with veg and greens

Watering - regular drinker daily from a dripper at top of cage. misted every other day for about a minute seems to enjoy.
Fecal Description - poops look the same as always a little pack of black yellow and white. never tested for parasites

Cage Info:screen six feet tall X three feet across X two feet deep.

Im using the two types of lighting recomended by my pet store peeps I'm not at home and cant remember the brands or wattages off hand

What is your daily lighting schedule? lights come on 7 am go off 8pm

Temperature - I have a thermometer but again not there to check at the mome but cant be lower than 69 overnite (house temp) and day time temp might get as high as 80-90 at the top of cage (a guess) i'll have to take a few readings

Humidity - cage has a gage for humidity but again I'll have to check the levels.
Plants -live hibiscuss plants

Placement - cage is in a window in the living room(moderate traffic I guess) but away from the main living area. top of cage is 6 feet above the floor Location - Salmon Arm BC Canada.

Back
Top Bottom