not sure if cham has an eye problem or just me worried.

chicagochang45

so lately ive been seeing her less active and keeps one eye closed. shes on a mistking, crickets, and i believe im doing things right. what could the issue be? or am i just over reacting??

Those are not good signs. I would post some pictures of your setup and the chameleon.

Also fill out the "how to ask for help" located under the health clinic thread.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

No, you are not over reacting at all. If she is lethargic and closing her eye(even though it is one) there is something going on. Please fill out the form.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - i have a female veiled chameleon that i purchased from craigslist. she was only a few weeks old.

Handling - i handle her once or twice a week.

Feeding - i feed her small crickets. about 8-10. every other day. a guy at petco told me to feed the crickets red potatoes.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i dust with rep cal calcium every other feeding. rep cal herptivite once a month. and rep cal calcium w vit d 2x a month.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? i have a mistking mister. How often and how long to you mist? it mists 5 times a day for 3min eah time. Do you see your chameleon drinking? not really she doesnt eat or drink in front of ppl. ive only seen her eat once when i woke up one morning.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? droppings are white. no i have no idea how to test for that.

History - shes very shy towards ppl. i was affraid she wasnt eating but then everytime i put crickets in the usually disapear.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen cage. tall 18x18x36

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? exo terra repti glo 5.0 15w. and a regular house bulb for basking. from 7am to 7pm

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 70 degrees to 80 degrees.lowest overnight is room temp right now its about 60. measured by digi thermometer in cage.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? about 60% humid using a mistking and newspaper as substrate. hygrometer.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no live plants.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? cage located in my room in front of window so some sun hits her. sitting on top of a 3 drawer plastic rubbermaid container. top of cage is about 51/2 feet off floor.

Location - Where are you geographically located? i live in chicago il.

Current Problem - earlier today she had one eye closed. right before i left for work. i get home late so i couldnt monitor her during the rest of the evening. will take pictures in the morning when she wakes up...around 730am. thanks alot in advance really hope i can get her healthy again.

Hey. How's it going?
Three things I noticed it your husbandry that you might want to change: feeding, gut loading, and supplementing.
FEEDING - If you're chameleon is still young (less than a year old), you might want to feed it everyday and even 2x a day. But not too late during the day.
GUT LOADING - My vet advised me against using potatoes for gut loading. He said they're too starchy. I personally gut load with collard greens sprinkled with Ghann's gut load mix and Repashy superload.
SUPPLEMENTING - I dust my crickets daily with plain calcium. You mentioned that you only do it every other feeding. And you feed every other day. So that's a feeding of calcium-dusted crickets once every four days. Try to dust his crickets every feeding. Just make sure they're just lightly dusted. My vet warned me over over dusting. He said he's seen chameleon with calcified kidneys.

Hope that helps.

Oh, I'd check the UVB light too if I were you. Rule of thumb is to replace every 6 months but some actually aren't emitting UVB as soon as 3 months.

And fecal exams are done by vet. Just ask how much the vet visits are and the fecal exams beforehand. Mine was pretty pricey.

pics of mj this morning.

Attachments

• 20130615_140559.jpg
    20130615_140559.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20130615_140609.jpg
    20130615_140609.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom