not ready to "get it on" yet?

lan_norman704

I have a pair of same age jackson's they are around 7-8 months old, everytime i try to introduce her to norman (the male:)) she starts to bob side to side furiously everytime he gets close. now recently he has started to shake back and forth and bob his head. does this mean she is just not sexually mature yet? or are they just not compatible?:) thanks for any advice!

She is telling him to back off. When a female rocks back and forth and gapes her mouth, it means that she's not receptive and doesn't want any part of it.

I honestly wouldn't breed her at 8 months. Wait a little longer, she's still growing and needs the calcium for bone development, rather then egg production. Give it a try in another 3 months. Maybe she'll be receptive to breeding then also.

Also, the bobbing of the males head is a mating ritual. It means he's showing advancment to the female and he's ready to go. She just doesn't feel the same way yet.

When the female is receptive, she won't rock back and forth or gape her mouth at him. She will slowly walk away from him. She wants him to follow her to catch and mount her. Hope this helps.

I would have to recommend waiting on breeding until the female is at least a year old. If she is only 7-8 months old then she is still growing and when you mate, the calcium will be split between the eggs and growing and you run a greater risk of the female having complications.

Just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom