not eatting for 3 weeks!!!!!!

Tifanydalpont

please help!!!!not eatting for 3 weeks!!!!!!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled, male, and 7 months of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?5 months

Handling - when he want out i let him crawl on my hands and then back in the cage

Feeding - crickets large and small, pheniox worms, superworms, wax worms.every day usually crickets but i have to switch it up cause he gets bored. 3pm . commercail gut load and carrot and collard greens

Supplements - zoomed reptivite with and without vitmin d3, and zilla multivitamin spray. 1day with d3, 1 day no d3 and 1 day multi

Watering - mist in mouth twice a day

Fecal Description - large compacted brown stool and white uringe. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. going through puberty????just sheaded

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen, 36x18x18
Lighting - repti glo 5.0 uvb,uva day light on 6am to 7pm
Temperature - cage floor 70-80 to basking spot 95-100
Lowest overnight temp 62-70
How do you measure these temps? every day since i got him
Humidity - What are your humidity levels?55-70
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? 2 live hibiscus plant
What do you use to measure humidity? humidity gadge
Plants - Are you using live plants? 2 hibiscus
Placement - Where is your cage located? between fake tree and book case
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 6 feet off floor
Location - Where are you geographically located? los angeles

Current Problem hasnt eattin for 3 weeks during that time ive had to make him hiss big enought to drop food in. i've tried once a week during this time not to stress him out too much. today i removed all cricket, superworms wax worms, hoping if he sees theres no food for 3 days he might start to eat again??? he drink 3 times a day he licks the water form a spray bottle for a min or 2, im just keeping him hydraded since his not eatting. his lost a little weight during this time but no bones are showing and his tails still pretty thick and has every good grip. also basks all day under the day light

this is a pic of him about a week ago at this time he was very angry, so got him a bigger cage new lights 5.0uvb and daylight uva

Attachments

• jackie.jpg
    jackie.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 165
Tifany, when did your lizard poo last, can you describe the color?
Is the lizard behaving normally? basking, moving about, alert?

about 2 weeks ago i noticed him hanging out on the floor all day..no poop and not eattingand at this time he was very very agressive i couldnt even walk in the room with out him hissing at me..i put him in the shower at that time he wasnt drinking either..after the shower i give him a few drops of olive oil because he wasnt pooping either, large brown poop and large white pee sack about 5 days ago, the poop looked a little oily maybe because of the oil??? after his new cage and light brought the temp up his not aggressive anymore at all....his very alert, basking all day since i bought the day light 7 days ago and he drinks a lot. he moves around fine..

I see that today you removed insects from the cage. Do you normally feed by adding bugs to the cage and letting the lizard find them? If so, could it be that hes eating when your not there to watch?
At 7 months the lizard is close to maturity and the feeding frequency tends to drop off considerably, likewise how often they poo.
Are there lots of areas that bugs could be hiding in the cage? Did you find more than expected today?
You might want to experiment with a deep feeding cup so that you can account for insects and see for sure how many he's eating.
:)

i havent put any new bug in cause he hasnt eatten the ones i put in 7 days ago, i offered him wax worm and super worms today but nothin... i even bought Phoenix Worms again knowing he'll ignore them, even when i got them for him 3 months ago but when they turned into flys he ate all of them.. so i placed the container in his cage hoping they'll turn in to flys soon...well since i moved him to his new cage i put 10 cricket and today i took out 8

Basking all day? What kind of thermometer are you using to check the basking temperature? Are you sure its accurate?
Sorry about the delay, my connection cut out :)
Also I should ask, how long since you moved him to the new cage? It may be just be he's getting used to his new surrounds, sometimes that might put them off eating much for a while.

You said you use a commercial gut load...what one? What does it contain in the way of phos., calcium, D3 and vitamin A (beta carotene, retinol, acetate, palmitate, etc.)?

You said..."zoomed reptivite with and without vitmin d3, and zilla multivitamin spray. 1day with d3, 1 day no d3 and 1 day multi"...I would recommend cutting back on the D3 and maybe use different supplement for one of the two calcium powders. Two of the three supplements you are using have D3 in...don't know how much though.

Did he only spend one day down near/on the floor? I don't usually have the basking temperature any hotter than the high 80'sF.

Be careful when you are watering him that he doesn't aspirate the water (get it into his lungs). Is it possible that you got any of the oil in his lungs?

When you try feeding him, I would recommend not to drop the food in either...I always make sure that they take it between their teeth.

I don't know if any of this has to do with him not eating.

You said you use a commercial gut load...what one? What does it contain in the way of phos., calcium, D3 and vitamin A (beta carotene, retinol, acetate, palmitate, etc.)?

You said..."zoomed reptivite with and without vitmin d3, and zilla multivitamin spray. 1day with d3, 1 day no d3 and 1 day multi"...I would recommend cutting back on the D3 and maybe use different supplement for one of the two calcium powders. Two of the three supplements you are using have D3 in...don't know how much though.

{ right now since his stoped eatting i havent given him any thing thinking maybe he has to much suppliments]

Did he only spend one day down near/on the floor? I don't usually have the basking temperature any hotter than the high 80'sF.

{ it be pretty cold50 degrees out side during the day... during that time it was about 60 in the house and 70 degrees in his cage and under his light its was about 80}

Be careful when you are watering him that he doesn't aspirate the water (get it into his lungs)

{during the time he finally started drinking again..i first would spray the plant aroud he till he noticed the drops and he'd start licking his lips for more water, than spray 2 times softly only aiming for the front of his mouth.. then would wait until he started to lick his lips again.. then i would spray only the fount of his moth until head pull his head up to swollow what i gave him.....i never just force water in his mouth.. i would stop and wait till he started licking again to give him more water)

[. Is it possible that you got any of the oil in his lungs?
gosh i hope not hes breathinfg fine}

When you try feeding him, I would recommend not to drop the food in either...I always make sure that they take it between their teeth.

{its very hard to get the right angle.. a lot of them just fell out.. i did try a super worm and got it in there be he spit it out}

I don't know if any of this has to do with him not eating.

jojackson
Senior Member Join Date: Nov 2008

Basking all day?
yes all day

What kind of thermometer are you using to check the basking temperature?
bought a new one the dual pack for 12.00

Are you sure its accurate? yes

Sorry about the delay, my connection cut out
Also I should ask, how long since you moved him to the new cage?
about a week now but i put all the same stuff in there that should have his smell one it so he knows some of the thing in hes cage smells like him

It may be just be he's getting used to his new surrounds, sometimes that might put them off eating much for a while. im gonna try the food bin tomorrow

Tifany you said.. "only aiming for the front of his mouth." (water spraying)

Try not to do that, the lizards trachea/glottis (that tube like structure) is at the front of the mouth (see pic). It would be too easy to accidently shoot water in there without realising it. There was a post about this recently (see link)
Instead just spray above him and downward, droplets will roll to the mouth, this is safer.
After a few mins they generally get the idea and start drinking. :)

Just one more question, by 'all day' do you mean he doesn't move from under the basking light? If this is the case And if his color is constantly dark, and you see him flatten his side/s to the heat, perhaps you might increase the temp a few degrees, perhaps 95f
However if thats not the case, dont adjust.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/aspiration-55683/

Trachea/glottis is the tube like opening. labelled (a)
2366d1230377150-chameleon-anatomy-warning-graphic-images-chameleon-007-resize.jpg

Today I got a drip system he's drinking for that know ... But I checked his basking and it's 90-100 degrees depend where he chills... Today he's a medium brown and dark tan... His surroundings are pretty dark though... Buy yeah he's under that thing as soon as it turns on till about 4-5 and moves to he's sleeping spot around 5:30 and waits for the lights to turn off

I put 4 large crickets in a cup with repitvit without d3 hopefully he eats them I showed them to him and he was checkin them out for a minute so we'll see what happens...

So just to be certain I understand what your saying, he's not moving from under the basking light all day? Not moving around up and down the cage at all?
This doesn't seem normal at all if your temperatures are correct. How cool is the room he's in?
Is there any chance he's eaten fake plants or soil from live plant pots?
Does he hold his mouth open while hes sitting there?

Ok then, I suspect since its a week since you moved him, and even though you added familiar things, that he's still a little unsettled and being a bit stubborn.
Try not to disturb him much for a few days, keep offering food but otherwise leave him be, hell come around. :)
Can you get a pic of his home?

No fake plants... I've seen him eat dirt before but the soil I have won't hurt him and no hims mouths not open ever ... I read on a site he might have hurt his tonge and waiting for it to heal but I'm not sure if that's the case

ok so this are pic of jackies cage....does he look ok to u????

Attachments

• jackie cage.jpg
    jackie cage.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 151
  • jackie cage 2.jpg
    jackie cage 2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 94
  • jackie cage 3.jpg
    jackie cage 3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 137
  • jackie jackie.jpg
    jackie jackie.jpg