Not eating

Zilla

My vieled, about a year old, stopped eating after I changed his enclosure. Two days ago I changed his cage from a 18x18x24 to a 24x24x48 because he was getting to big for the other one. Since then he has only eaten 5 superworms and a cricket. I am getting worried and not too sure what I need to do in order to get him eating again.

I put in a few pictures, my phone takes bad pictures though, ill get some better ones

Attachments

• malachi.jpg
    malachi.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 0213091907a.jpg
    0213091907a.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 0213091907.jpg
    0213091907.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
He's just trying to get used to his enclosure, give him a few days, make sure he gets watered, and try to leave him alone as much as possible. Maybe taking 7-10 crickets, and putting them in the cage, and take them out at the end of the day so they don't munch on the Chameleon. But, after a few days of being relativly alone, he should pick up his hunger and start eating again.

If he had 5 superworms and a cricket......it's sounds like he eating to me. Try not feeding him at all for a day or 2 and then he'll be hungry. At this age I would start feeding every other day anyway. Jann

thanks, that calms a bit of my fear. Ill see how he does in a few days. Also can any of you suggest some greenery or plant life of some sort that would be good to provide coverage at the top of his cage?

There are a few that I'd get. An Umbrella Plant that was a good size would do well as a cover. Also, maybe a Pothos, you can buy really longs ones from Wal-Mart for like $4. Well worth it in my opinion because they grow fast and are vines. I have one in my Veiled's cage thats like 5ft long!

Hmmm i have a small umbrella and a pothos I just have no idea how to get them to cover the top

The bad thing about Umbrella Plants is that they grow kinda slow. But, if the Pothos gets dripped on from your spraying sessions, it will be enough water to get it growing faster than you can say Chameleon. If you can find a long Pothos, twist it around those vines so it gets up there and they can climb around.

I just wanted to say that malachi hasnt eaten anything in two days, I am misting him quite a bit more than usual to make sure he is fully hydrated. I offered him some super worms and some crickets earlier today but he wanted nothing to do with them. Im really starting to get worried.

I put some pictures up of his new enclosure, ill link the thread so you can take a look.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/malachis-new-enclosure-20888/

P.s sorry for being redundant with the not eating issue on the other thread.

I just wanted to say that malachi hasnt eaten anything in two days, I am misting him quite a bit more than usual to make sure he is fully hydrated. I offered him some super worms and some crickets earlier today but he wanted nothing to do with them. Im really starting to get worried.

I put some pictures up of his new enclosure, ill link the thread so you can take a look.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/malachis-new-enclosure-20888/

P.s sorry for being redundant with the not eating issue on the other thread.

2 days of not eating is fine.
Plus, he's about the age when you should feed him every other day anyway.
Perhaps, he's bored with the menu you are providing.
Are crickets and supers the only feeders you have ever feed him with?

In that case, i suggest varying the type.
www.mulberryfarms.com

(silkworm, horn worms, roaches, butter worms, etc etc)

I usually give him crickets, I introduced him to superworms about a month ago because he wouldnt eat his crickets anymore

I usually give him crickets, I introduced him to superworms about a month ago because he wouldnt eat his crickets anymore

there you go.
They can throw hunger strike when they got extremely bored with food.
That's one of the reason why I suggest varying your feeder types.

How much should he be eating at this age? like how many crickets/superworms/etc per every other day?

How much should he be eating at this age? like how many crickets/superworms/etc per every other day?

I cannot say that this is an absolute rule to every chameleon.
But mine eat about 10 large crix every other day.

I was told he was male, plus his color seems to be very common with a male, also there appears to be a spur on the back of his foot. Although, I do agree his casque does look smaller than most males

What do you mean folds, also do you find this to be of concern, perhaps not enough calcium?

No, not anything of concern. I was saying, the edges looked "Folded". But, nothing to be worried about.

Back
Top Bottom