not doing so hot.

Blevine1292

okay so my baby veiled who we established was just about a month old, tops, doesnt look so hot. im giving him pin head crix, ive got the little dripper and i mist twice a day sometimes 3, i rarely hold him, but ive caught my mom holding him a couple times...which ive yelled at her for :p, hes got the small reptibreeze cage(16x16x20) his lights go on at 10 or 11am and go off by 11pm. it stays 83 +/- a couple degrees, and the humidity is a solid 65%.. now the problem... hes not the brightest color and he has been walking around the bottom of the cage for most of today. i went to pick him up and he lost his balance and fell off my finger...what do you think is wrong?

edit: i just went to check on him and i found him at the bottom of the cage rubbing his eye back and forth on the screen. his eyes look fine, but he isnt a great looking color and is still pacing around the front bottom of his cage. i have a feeling the uvb bulb may be expired so i moved his cage outside until i can go get another bulb.

Hey man, sucks your little guy isn't doing well. This place is great for helping people but we are going to need more specific information about your husbandry practices. I suggest you fill the form out down below. If you can provide any pictures too that always help. You mentioned your care briefly but didn't have anything as far as gutloading and supplementation goes. Those are crucial areas within your husbandry are even more important at young ages when they are growing and developing fast.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

* Your Chameleon - male veiled about a month old, maybe less. ive had him for about a week.
* Handling -rarely, although ive caught my mom holding him so im not sure how much he has actually been held while im not aruond
* Feeding - pinhead crix about 5 every other day, im using potato and orange slices for the gut loading.
* Supplements - im dusting the crix every other feeding time..so every 4 days with zoomed repti calcium
* Watering - little dripper and 2-3 mistings a day and i mist until the leaves start dripping. ive only seen him drink once or twice
* Fecal Description - ive only seen his poop once and that was the day i got him, it was a bit yellow which means he was dehydrated. but ive been scouring his cage for another one and cant find it.
* History - supposedly a high orange morph, the website said 2.5 months, which he was quickly determined to be a month old or less based on size and casque.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - reptibreeze 16x16x20
* Lighting -exoterra hood with 75 watt bulb, UVB(which i fear is expired)
* Temperature - cage floor is 75 top is 83+/- (cage floor to basking spot) lowest over night temp will be 65+/- a degree
* Humidity - 65-70% misting and my room is naturally humid.
* Plants - no live plants right now, just fake ones i bought from michaels, cleaned and placed in
* Placement - the cage is in my room, the bottom of the cage is 3 feet from the floor, the only one who comes in my room is me and my mom/
* Location - NY
ill toss some pictures up in a minute..gotta find my camera

here we go:

Attachments

• P8010648.jpg
    P8010648.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 84
  • P8010651.jpg
    P8010651.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 144
  • P8010662.jpg
    P8010662.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 129
  • P8010664.jpg
    P8010664.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 89
and im using zoo med repticalcium, no d3 or phosphorus..oh and he also spends most of his time climbing on the sides of the cage and not the branches. dont know if that helps or not.

well by the looks of it, he looks fine

i think the problem is the branches are too big, could be why is might be avoiding them

try smaller branches he can wrap his whole feet on, too wide of a stick makes them like if they are walking on the floor and could be why of any balancing issues

maybe a pic of your entire set up could help us, to help you what you might need adjusting

also try to fill the "ask for help" form on the forums https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

I know my chams are up with the sun and go to sleep about 6 regardless if the light is on or not. You might want to adjust your lighting schedule a bit to coincide more with the day. At 1 month your baby is about ready for some meatier food. Try getting it some 1/4" crickets and give him about 6 at a time. Pins don't have much to offer and I don't ever feed my neonates pins. I'd rather dump a bunch of fruit flies in the nursery - the more the better.

By 2 months they are usually eating 1/2" crickets. Meat, meat, meat! LOL.

PS, Wherever you got that baby, he is really very very young. I would be surprised if he is 1 month old. I raise veileds and he looks more like a neonate. Keep feeding that little one and he will grow really fast.

You need to feed him more. He needs to be fed every day, and at that age I'd feed him at least 10 crickets every day. Most breeders say that there is no limit for babies and they feed baby chams as many crickets as they want until they are about 5-6 months old. I personally think that's a bit much, but that's what I've read from some of our site sponsors.

I don't know where you live but it is most likely hot as it is summer time. So be careful with the cage outside that he does not over heat.

okay so i went outside and trimmed a couple small branches shook off any nastyness, left the leaves on and tossed it in the cage...he went right for it and is climbing around the leaves and is no longer crawling along the sides of the cage :D you guys solved all my problems thanks a bunch

Back
Top Bottom