Not cham related, but...

Crossingtami

Avid Member
Here's my newest family member. Her name is Miss Sunny Day. 5 yr old yellow crested cockatoo. Yes, she gets a place setting at the dinner table!

Attachments

• 49055.jpeg
    49055.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 49
  • 20211108_164041.jpg
    20211108_164041.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 54
Here's my newest family member. Her name is Miss Sunny Day. 5 yr old yellow crested cockatoo. Yes, she gets a place setting at the dinner table!
Congrats! But please let me share...human food is not good on any level. Dairy/cheese-birds are not mammals and have no digestive enzymes for it. Have assisted in surgically pulling huge blocks of undigested cheese out of very sick birds. Vegetables too much oil and salt. In the case of corn, it is just sugar and fat (corn oil for frying, corn syrup!) Meat too high in protein kidneys cannot handle it and will fail. Nuts way too high in fat.

Married to an avian vet I see this every .single .day.

#1 cause of all avian disease is obesity/diet related. For example, the famous African Grey Alex, who was trained using nuts and corn (although his "main diet" was a good one of pellets) died very prematurely of heart disease from all that fat.

If you want her at the table, which of course you do!! Let her have a couple of raw green beans and piece of broccoli.

I hope you aren't offended but I am passionate about these guys as chameleons and see far too many of them suffering from good intentions ❤️

Congrats! But please let me share...human food is not good on any level. Dairy/cheese-birds are not mammals and have no digestive enzymes for it. Have assisted in surgically pulling huge blocks of undigested cheese out of very sick birds. Vegetables too much oil and salt. In the case of corn, it is just sugar and fat (corn oil for frying, corn syrup!) Meat too high in protein kidneys cannot handle it and will fail. Nuts way too high in fat.

#1 cause of all avian disease is obesity/diet related. For example, the famous African Grey Alex, who was trained using nuts and corn (although his "main diet" was a good one of pellets) died very prematurely of heart disease from all that fat.

If you want her at the table, which of course you do!! Let her have a couple of raw green beans and piece of broccoli.

I hope you aren't offended but I am passionate about these guys as chameleons and see far too many of them suffering from good

I hope you aren't offended but I am passionate about these guys as chameleons and see far too many of them suffering from good intentions ❤️
I am not offended. No worries. Thanks for the info. But FYI, she has only fresh fruit and veggies (no cheese, avocado, onions or mushrooms) on her plate of "salad". She doesn't get nuts.. do u have a list of good/bad veggies and fruit? I'd appreciate it! Thanks

I am not offended. No worries. Thanks for the info. But FYI, she has only fresh fruit and veggies (no cheese, avocado, onions or mushrooms) on her plate of "salad". She doesn't get nuts.. do u have a list of good/bad veggies and fruit? I'd appreciate it! Thanks
Of course I do LOL.

Here are a bunch of handouts from the vet on best Vitamin A/calcium foods, how to clip wings yourself, and the most important, toxins for birds. We have seen birds eat everything from dental floss (resulting in a 2 inch diameter "ball" over time) to earrings, screws, and 4 or 5 cases every week swallowing little stones that turn out to contain lead or zinc (i.e. rocks are the source of all metal ores such as iron and can cause metal toxicity-symptoms -lethargy, vomiting or in mild cases feather picking) . Most of these are picked up just from being allowed to walk or fly around the house.

https://www.thebirdclinic.com/bird-clinic-handouts.html

So happy to see a good, responsible bird owner!!! Just like with chams, pet stores like to shower new owners with bad information and it is disheartening to see the results. (y)

I must be lucky then because I've had a double yellow headed parrot for 38 yes now and I let him eat whatever he wants with the exception of no chocolate. He really don't like cheese but he eats whatever I eat just about. Mostly raw fruit and veggies. But he loves corn chip. I guess I've been lucky that he's so healhy

I must be lucky then because I've had a double yellow headed parrot for 38 yes now and I let him eat whatever he wants with the exception of no chocolate. He really don't like cheese but he eats whatever I eat just about. Mostly raw fruit and veggies. But he loves corn chip. I guess I've been lucky that he's so healhy
Yes you are! There are always genetics involved.

Of course I do LOL.

Here are a bunch of handouts from the vet on best Vitamin A/calcium foods, how to clip wings yourself, and the most important, toxins for birds. We have seen birds eat everything from dental floss (resulting in a 2 inch diameter "ball" over time) to earrings, screws, and 4 or 5 cases every week swallowing little stones that turn out to contain lead or zinc (i.e. rocks are the source of all metal ores such as iron and can cause metal toxicity-symptoms -lethargy, vomiting or in mild cases feather picking) . Most of these are picked up just from being allowed to walk or fly around the house.

https://www.thebirdclinic.com/bird-clinic-handouts.html

So happy to see a good, responsible bird owner!!! Just like with chams, pet stores like to shower new owners with bad information and it is disheartening to see the results. (y)
Thank you for info. I will b doing some reading today! I've gotten most of my info from the web (which of course, means bad info along with good). I clip my smaller birds wings, but Ms. Sunny D goes to the avian vet for "spa days"!

Back
Top Bottom