Nosybe lost Blue?

LotusVibes

I have had him for almost 11 months, around 5-6 months old he was a incredible vibrant blue. Shortly after 6 months he consistently stayed darker tones even shades of grey. By all standards he is very healthy and has pristine environment, but has seem to lost his color. I have many panthers before and have never seen this, any thoughts?
nosybe.jpg 946695_4858013177490_1598983366_n.jpg

How old is this guy? He looks old! Yeah, I'm not sure what to say except that he looks a bit malnourished? What have you been feeding him?

Did anything change in his environment at the time his colours started to change? It would be unusual, but perhaps these are his stress colours. Do you have other chams, animals, fish, anything at all that he can see from his view from the cage?

Has it been a long time since his UV light has been changed? Maybe the UV has worn out. If you live somewhere warm try getting him outside in the sun if he hasn't been out recently, maybe he'll fire up a bit with some good UV.

It almost looks like he's sporting female colours.. maybe he's a little confused about his gender.. :eek:

Lotus I am having the exact same problem with my youngest male panther right now. He only got a few days of sunshine this summer (when he was just 3 months old) and then all of a sudden the Canadian fall and winter hit us. I have a very strong feeling that his colour has dwindled away due to the lack of UV he got. His UVB is up to date and he does have a 6500K daylight bulb over his enclosure, but nothing compares to the power of the Sun.
Keep your boy healthy with nutritional gut loaded insects, sufficient heat and UVB so that when the sun comes out again (and it's over 60*F) he'll hopefully begin to develop his colours again.

this suggests to me that this is stress coloration and that he is not happy with something. is he in a higher traffic area? can he see other animals? are all your temperature and humidity levels correct ?

with (correct) artificial lighting, he should be still colorful and not in drab dark coloration...sun or no sun

What are his basking temps?

How big is his cage?

what plants are in there with him?

Post photos of the cage please?

How old is the uvb and what brand?

He is basking between 90-98, I have a 5.0 uvb as well as a 75 watt for heat. Its been right at 6 months since I have changed the uvb so that will be my first step. I have one pathos plant and the rest artificial, humidity is always between 40-60 with spikes to 80 twice a day.
photo (1).jpg

I think part of your issue may be you are cooking him.

I wouldnt let the temps go higher than 90 IMO.

THey will sometimes go paler to help with being too hot.

Ever see him sitting with his mouth open?

What are you supplementing with?
and what do you feed your bugs?

bug burger is a gutload, not really a supplement.

what calcium brand are you using?

I use repashy all in one calcium plus with my chams, which is a supplement.

He is basking between 90-98, I have a 5.0 uvb as well as a 75 watt for heat. Its been right at 6 months since I have changed the uvb so that will be my first step. I have one pathos plant and the rest artificial, humidity is always between 40-60 with spikes to 80 twice a day.
View attachment 91304

I would switch to a lower wattage bulb. 75 watt is too high if you are reaching those temperatures consistantly. I use a 40 watt over my enclosure and get mid to high 80's (but mine is sub-adult and doesn't need as high temp.) so maybe a 60 watt would be more suitable for you?

Temp is what came to mind w/ me also. Something that has also helped me recently achieve the desired basking temp is adding in an inline dimmer. I can tweek the temp up or down a tad bit w/ just sliding the dimmer up or down.

Back
Top Bottom