Nosy Faly at Petland

I stop by petland today while I was waiting on my car to get worked on and low and behold they had a Nosy Faly. The poor guy was skin and bone and near death. I tried to buy him but they wanted 400 bucks and I dont think I would be able to same him.

I stop by petland today while I was waiting on my car to get worked on and low and behold they had a Nosy Faly. The poor guy was skin and bone and near death. I tried to buy him but they wanted 400 bucks and I dont think I would be able to same him.

Maybe you can tell them you will report them for the horrid conditions they are keeping him in unless they sell him to you for a reasonable price ... ?

Maybe you can tell them you will report them for the horrid conditions they are keeping him in unless they sell him to you for a reasonable price ... ?

There is no "reasonable price" for a neglected dying animal. If they were willing to let you take it for nothing and try to save it that's one thing. NEVER pay for it no matter how much you want to help. That's something we've all done and still struggle with. The lesson for clueless stores is to watch their doomed, high-priced livestock die...unfortunately the poor cham gets to pay an even higher price. Maybe show them a photo of a healthy Nosy Faly to shock them a little?

There is no "reasonable price" for a neglected dying animal. If they were willing to let you take it for nothing and try to save it that's one thing. NEVER pay for it no matter how much you want to help. That's something we've all done and still struggle with. The lesson for clueless stores is to watch their doomed, high-priced livestock die...unfortunately the poor cham gets to pay an even higher price. Maybe show them a photo of a healthy Nosy Faly to shock them a little?

After I read your reply I agree, sorry I just feel horrible seeing any living creature suffer.

He looked like a blue Faly but he was very dark with no basking lamp.
I showed them how to set up the same cage 3 months ago with all the right lights, drippers and vines but I guess someone at the store knows more than I do :rolleyes:

That's awful! I haven't seen any panthers at any of our pet stores here, but I know they definitely couldn't care for them right. Pet stores should not sell animals/reptiles that they can't take of properly!

I am lucky here in Canada, I have never seen sick or poorly cared for reptiles in pet stores, and now we are passing a law that no puppies can be sold in pet stores either, hopefully this will happen everywhere for the herps and pups!

One of the Reptile stores here had a Jacksonii for 250.00 and looked bad, I wanted to save him but new better.

I reported a Veiled in bad condition at a local petsmart, after speaking with corporate they had the store manager call me back and send email verification that the Cham was being cared for properly. I think the best way to handle that is SPCA or something of that nature, the law is only a phone call away.

The Petland I pick up crickets from has a Tamatave for $520. When I first saw him he had gorgeous colours but the past few weeks I have notice him sitting at the bottom and very dark. Would love to take him home with me but that is waaaayy too much $$$.

Unfortunately that seems to be the case when pet shops pick up pardalis. They mark em way up so the knwledgeable prospective buyer looks and goes noo way thats a rip off. The animal sits in the store and either withers away from stress and lack of proper husbandry. Or is sold to an unknowledgable newb who's told how to incorrectly care for said stressed dying animal. He takes said animal home and the inevitable occurs. :rolleyes:

I honestly wish 99% of all pet stores would stay away from chams altogether. Stick with lepoard geckos and selling feeders and supplies let the breeders & hobbyists sell the animals whenever possible.

I am lucky here in Canada, I have never seen sick or poorly cared for reptiles in pet stores, and now we are passing a law that no puppies can be sold in pet stores either, hopefully this will happen everywhere for the herps and pups!

Ive seen one here in ontario, it was an adult female panther, in what looked like a 12"X12"X12" cage maybe a little taller than 12" they had a water feature in the cage with fish in it, which took up about 2-3" of the cage space. she had one of her eyes closed and wouldnt open it, and it also looked like she had a skin condition, i was super sad and had no money :(

Well here in Winnipeg there are A LOT of poorly cared for/dying reptiles in stores, esp. Petland. About a month ago I had an argument with one of the reptile guys, telling him the two pygmies in his tank were dead. He said they were not (wtf!?!? you can't tell living from dead?). My husband, who does NOT like conflict made him unlock the tank and show him, then tore a strip off of him. One was dead, the other one had less than an hour. Disgusting. I bought a sick Flap Neck from Petland, thinking I could maybe get it healthy again. They have a 30 money back guarantee, and this poor creature made 28 days. I got all my money back, and they haven't had any chameleons in this particular store since. Also a Mellers that died in a Best West here. I could go on ...

Find out what the policy is if the animal dies. If they have 100% money back guarantee (let's say 30 days), and you have the cash, buy the animal, give it a good life for it's last few days, and then get your money back. I did that and have no regrets. The store made zero dollars off that poor chameleon. Of course, I did have to deal with my own (and my husband's) broken heart, but I feel that my little Leonard at least had some comfort while in my care. I'd do it again (but hope I never have to).

Really? A cham at a petland in Calgary? Not that long ago I was speaking with a kid who was "reptile manager" for a petland who told me that the corporate head office had actualy decided NO MORE CHAMS! That they are just to fragile and complicated for them to sell with any confidence. I was pleased to hear that and agreed it was a good idea. I guess it didn't last long. Sad. There is another pet shop here that is always stocking imports, pricing them WAY to high and is full of misleading/incorrect husbandry info. Makes me crazy but what can you do? I just dont go there anymore.

Really? A cham at a petland in Calgary? Not that long ago I was speaking with a kid who was "reptile manager" for a petland who told me that the corporate head office had actualy decided NO MORE CHAMS! That they are just to fragile and complicated for them to sell with any confidence. I was pleased to hear that and agreed it was a good idea. I guess it didn't last long. Sad. There is another pet shop here that is always stocking imports, pricing them WAY to high and is full of misleading/incorrect husbandry info. Makes me crazy but what can you do? I just dont go there anymore.

That is all you can do. Dont buy from them and dont even buy supplies from them. That way your not promoting their ability to abuse the animals they import. Lack of proper husbandry is a form of abuse.

I agree… it is abuse! The store is just looking to make a quick buck! They stock sickly imports, several to a small tank just hoping for uneducated impulse buyers. Pricing them high enough that if they sell even one they have made a profit on the whole lot! The unfortunate part is it seems to work! Otherwise they wouldn't continue doing it. This type of post always gets me going! YARGHH!!!

petland never fully takes care of their animals from what i see. my mom and i saw a pair of leopard lizards near death, so we just opened the cage and left. we took them both, went to petco and baught the best desert setup for them. they were doing okay until i realized they had mites but i realized too late. i tried by giving them mite baths but one died then the next morning the other one followed.
i know this might not be a good influence but we stole them and they lost money so i feel like we won even though they died.
the conditions still stay the same though, every time i go there they have starving, dehydrated animals especially in the lizard department!

I was just at a Petland the other day. I go there often because they have the coolest fish I have ever seen at a petstore. I was looking at their reptilles and saw that they had a veiled chameleon all the way in back of their show setups. They had him in a small enclosure with barely any room to move around and no space for him to climb. He looked very skinny and was really dark. I wish I could have taken him home because I hate seeing these animals suffer. I see sick and abused animals all the time at the petstores around me and it really is heartbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom