Nosy Be eye issue

bwright79

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Nosy Be hatched 1/15/2020

* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? A couple times a week for less then 2 mins

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed silkworms, crickets, BSFL, superworms. I’ve tried dubias but neither of my Cham’s like them. I have tried wax worms but not into them. I dust with cal without D3 daily with bee pollen. I cut load with collard greens, carrots and sweet potatoes. I allow my crickets to mingle in the bee pollen for at least 30 mins prior to adding calcium and feeding.

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repti calcium without D3 every feeding expect on silkworms and BSFL and rasphy LoD (I spelled it wrong I’m sure)

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use distilled water only and hand mist before lights on and after lights off for maybe 1-2 mins. Not directly on Cham. I use distilled water in a dripper 2-3 times a day for no more then 5 mins.

* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Normal poop and white urine. All in nice and firm never been old or questionable. I check everything daily.

* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I’ve had him since he was 13 weeks old and I’m at a loss. I’ve saw a lot of Cham’s suffer due to incorrect UVB and before I got my boy the breeder had to see my setup which is great.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? XL screened reptile breeze. All live plants with fake vines.

* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 22 “ 5% T5HO and BR30 65 watt non LED. 7:30 am - 7:30 pm

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Digital and

82 - 85 basking spot.

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Digital / live plants - humidity during day 50-60 and might drop to 40- 50

* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Corn plants, focus and birds of paradise

* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It’s in the open living / dinning area that nobody ever uses. It’s on an end table at least 2 feet off the ground. He’s always higher up then me unless he comes down midways in his cage.

* Location - Where are you geographically located? I’m in Tucson AZ my house stays 69-74 during the hot summer and 73-75 during winter. I’ve not had him during the winter yet.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Just noticed he’s rolling his eyes like trying to get something out maybe. and one has shed or something on it and he’s now closing his eyes during lights on. I mentor new Cham owners and completely at a loss.

Attachments

• A4F50E9D-F18C-45C6-A32F-75B6AB87C997.jpeg
    A4F50E9D-F18C-45C6-A32F-75B6AB87C997.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 82
  • BA3E3733-5BF6-4F34-BE73-FDBD0FC814B8.jpeg
    BA3E3733-5BF6-4F34-BE73-FDBD0FC814B8.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 6CE8B6A2-452B-40C0-83C6-8EE7372D6EE4.jpeg
    6CE8B6A2-452B-40C0-83C6-8EE7372D6EE4.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 71
  • 49181DBA-16E5-4AAE-9E7D-660ED3FFBD1B.jpeg
    49181DBA-16E5-4AAE-9E7D-660ED3FFBD1B.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 691A0646-B4E5-4435-91FF-A5510620DA11.jpeg
    691A0646-B4E5-4435-91FF-A5510620DA11.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 80
Hi and welcome to the forum. :) Not sure if I have any sure fire answers for you, but can offer a little. It does look like shed on his left eye. Hard to tell is there’s any drainage from your pic. The vine you have is known for having small particles of it come off as the chameleon rubs against it. As your cham is shedding, it may be that your cham rubbed it’s eye on that vine and has gotten vine particles in his eyes. I would get rid of those vines and once he has completed shedding, provide some extra long misting sessions.
You don’t say how often you are using the Repashy with LoD. While it is purely anecdotal, some chameleons have had eye reactions from that particular supplement...although it has mostly been edema.
Perhaps another member will be able to provide you better feedback than I.

When I moved from south tx to south Ok about a year ago I noticed 1 of my 3 chams, Moe had issues w/shedding. I took em to the vet & they told me it was do to humidity. What I was doing was putting on the heat @ night & that in return sucked all the moisture out of the air and my cham I believe. So I'd suggest getting a mistking or misting more often,, you can get a gallon pump sprayer from lowes for like 10$. Also would recommend putting some plastic on a couple sides of your screen enclosure to help w/humidity.

Hi and welcome to the forum. :) Not sure if I have any sure fire answers for you, but can offer a little. It does look like shed on his left eye. Hard to tell is there’s any drainage from your pic. The vine you have is known for having small particles of it come off as the chameleon rubs against it. As your cham is shedding, it may be that your cham rubbed it’s eye on that vine and has gotten vine particles in his eyes. I would get rid of those vines and once he has completed shedding, provide some extra long misting sessions.
You don’t say how often you are using the Repashy with LoD. While it is purely anecdotal, some chameleons have had eye reactions from that particular supplement...although it has mostly been edema.
Perhaps another member will be able to provide you better feedback than I.

I’ll get rid of the vines ASAP and Repashy LoD is twice a month. I don’t know if I’m paranoid but I thought his eyes were swollen but I can’t stop looking. I just looked at a picture from last week and completely normal looking. I have another brand of multivitamin I can switch it just to see if that’s the issue. Also his shed started late in the day it’s usually early morning and he’s done in an hour. I’m in AZ and it’s cooling down here by 15-20 degrees. Not sure if that has anything to do with his shed bring so late in the day.
One other thing I did use a q-tip with distilled water before there was a lot of shed. He’s not one to stay still but he let me gently wipe his eye like it felt good or maybe it was itchy.

When I moved from south tx to south Ok about a year ago I noticed 1 of my 3 chams, Moe had issues w/shedding. I took em to the vet & they told me it was do to humidity. What I was doing was putting on the heat @ night & that in return sucked all the moisture out of the air and my cham I believe. So I'd suggest getting a mistking or misting more often,, you can get a gallon pump sprayer from lowes for like 10$. Also would recommend putting some plastic on a couple sides of your screen enclosure to help w/humidity.
I have a mistking actually I need to install. I also have a fogger with an extension made from PVC pipe with end caps and holes to lay it across the top. I have correlated plastic on one side to block my Cham’s from seeing each other and one on the back wall.
I’ll work on raising that humidify up !! We just finished our monsoon season here which is the only time it’s humid here. It’s our first year experiencing changes. And thank you I’m feeling hopefully. They’re my babies. My human kids are teens so my Cham’s gat all my attention !!

Back
Top Bottom