Normal poop?

484CAF1A-478C-4F90-B501-352784CE5C67.jpeg
A62BC16B-1FE1-43DA-9F21-ED7AB7204045.jpeg
Anyone else think he seems to be dehydrated?

Yes - the yellow urates suggest dehydration.

Is your cham pretty regular? That looks like a big ole poop lol

Yes - the yellow urates suggest dehydration.

Is your cham pretty regular? That looks like a big ole poop lol

Ugh!!! I was worried he was. Haha he’s regular! Ive had him for about two months (he’s just a little guy still) and this is the biggest one yet! I recently added in some different foods & this is what I got in return :love:

Nice! You might wanna check out Poop 101: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/poop-101.120171/

Also, filling out the below survey "how to ask for help" could help us pinpoint where the dehydration is coming from...

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

No that doesnt suggest dehydration. The tip is still white. That just means that he didn't poop for a few days. Completely normal

From Poop 101:
"Urates should be white, soft but firm and may have a chalky texture. A yellow tinge is okay but orange urates indicate that your chameleon may not be getting enough water. If your chameleon defecates infrequently the end of the urates may be more orange but the rest still looks white. The longer the urates sit in the body the more fluid is reabsorbed from them back into the body. A small amount of mostly clear fluid with the urates is true urine and indicates good hydration, but is not always present."

If the chameleon in question is regular, then why are the urates orange?

Really all you have to do is like at the tip, if it is white, that means it's fine. That said, urates in general aren't always guaranteeing perfect hydration. People have reported dehydrated chams that still had white urates.

My understanding is the little bit of color where the white touches brown is just the brown bleeding into the white. I could be wrong though. When I have seen dehydrated chams (I have nursed a few pet shop chams from the local store, back to health for them) and their urate contained no white at all. Of course these chams are seriously dehydrated if I am removing them from the shop. Slightly dehydrated chams involve me fixing what I can and giving the reptile manager a wrath of urate As of yet, I never had a hydration problem with my chams. I think it is mostly because I load the cages with plants.

Back
Top Bottom