normal care?

Jack D

I have been worried about my Jackson Cham. Who has been acting sickly and has had poor color. After doing some research here on the site, I have made some big changes. What I ‘m doing seems to be helping a lot, but I wanted to run it by you guys to make sure I’m not missing something.
I have been letting him out to run around for most of the day, and he is spending a lot of time in the sun. I have been giving him more calcium, but I not sure it’s in the right way. All I had was daily vitamins for people “Calcium with Vitamin d”. So I ground it up into a fine powder, sprayed some crickets with water and the sprinkled the powder on them. My Jackson seems to like them, but I’m not sure how often to give it to him. How do you know when they have enough calcium?
The last thing is spraying him with water. I have not done it very often because he hates to be sprayed. It’s the only thing that causes him to turn dark brown and even hiss. What’s up with that?
Well, there it is… any thoughts?

DO NOT GIVE IT PEOPLE VITAMINS!
Jacksons are very finicky about supplementation. I have recently had an issue with mine.
Please fill out this form, so we can get an idea of how hes cared for, and see if theres anything else you need to change.

Please post pics of him and his setup as well.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Thanks Solid Snake
Chameleon Info:

I have a male Jackson I’m not sure about his age. He was about 3 inches long head to tail when we got him and now he is about 6 inches. We have had him about 5 months.
Handling – he is only handled once a day, to be put back in his cage.
Feeding – he is eating 4 or 5 large crickets in the morning. And the crickets are feed on a combination of crushed dog food and corn meal.
Supplements – that’s what I need to find out. What is the best way to do this?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking, He seems to be drinks a fair amount about every other day.
Fecal Description – He seems to go once a day, first a clear liquid then a solid
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No.

Cage Info: he sleep is in a small cloth cage (16 “ high and 10” in diam) and spends the day running around my office

Lighting – because we live in Hawaii I only use natural light through the window.
Temperature – day time is 70 and night time 60
Humidity - natural
Plants – hibiscus branches
Placement – he likes to climb on branches I’ve placed about 6’ above the ground. He usually falls asleep up their in the afternoon.
Location - Hawaii

Current Problem – He had poor color, low energy but seems to doing better now.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 86
Did you know that uvb rays do not pass through the glass? So basically you are providing him with no uvb. If he is going to run loose in your office, then you need to get him a proper uvb light and set it up above a plant or something for him. Also, that is an awful small cage for him...sleeping or not.

alot of your husbandry is off he needs uvb dusting schedule is as follows every feeding with calcium NO d then 2x a month with multivite and cal with d3 those 2 things are the most important to kee your baby from getting mbd, hows its joints now? can we see a pic just to be sure no mbd is starting focus on the elbows.

dusting just put a pinch in a sanwich bag add ur crix shake till there lightly dusted they dont need to be ghosts.

i have a veiled so im not an expert on jacksons but i think 70 is too cool. theres a million care sheets available.

you need to mist his cage or where ever he chills 3-4 times a day poop should have a solid white part and the brown/black part. and if he doesnt like being sprayed dont spray directly unlss a shed is being difficult.

one last though pretty days put him outside natural lights the best not full sunlight alow for escape from direct light.
hope you get everything fixed right!! good luck.:)

Hi Jack D! I have had my male Jackson since December...so I can give you some pointers. Do you have any fake or real plants in the cage? We use the Pothos vines and jungle vines with sticks. You should be watering your Jackson everyday..:) We use a dripping system and misting his cage 4-5 times a day. Also, you should be using a UVB bulb at least 12 hours a day..natural sunlight does not go through ur windows. Also a basking bulb that should be around 85 degrees for him to bask also for 12 hours a day. We also have a humidifier near his cage to keep his humidity up to 60-65 degrees. As far as the supplements go ..we use Flukers multivitamin w/beta carotene once every other week, and calcium w/vitamin d once every other week. We gut load crickets and super worms with collard greens, potatoes, lettuce and apples..along with a vitamin calcium for the crickets and flukers thirst quench for the crickets water. I hope this helps you..good luck:)

Hi Jack D! I have had my male Jackson since December...so I can give you some pointers. Do you have any fake or real plants in the cage? We use the Pothos vines and jungle vines with sticks. You should be watering your Jackson everyday..:) We use a dripping system and misting his cage 4-5 times a day. Also, you should be using a UVB bulb at least 12 hours a day..natural sunlight does not go through ur windows. Also a basking bulb that should be around 85 degrees for him to bask also for 12 hours a day. We also have a humidifier near his cage to keep his humidity up to 60-65 degrees. As far as the supplements go ..we use Flukers multivitamin w/beta carotene once every other week, and calcium w/vitamin d once every other week. We gut load crickets and super worms with collard greens, potatoes, lettuce and apples..along with a vitamin calcium for the crickets and flukers thirst quench for the crickets water. I hope this helps you..good luck:)

the cage is only 16 X 10 and he said he only sleeps in it but I still think that is way to small regardles.. hardly any room for any plants or anything else that we have in our normal set ups. He needs to have all the components in some type of free range or get a bigger cage!

Back
Top Bottom