Noob supply purchasing mistakes thread.

MrsM

Avid Member
Ok forum, what are some supplies you bought when you were newbies and quickly realized you had it all wrong?

Phrase it like this:
Newbies please get rid of your——— and replace it with ——.

I’ll start.
Newbies please get rid of your chameleon fountains and get a misting system.

Here’s a photo of Betty looking around like wtf at the chameleon fountain I got when I first brought her home.

Well I corrected stuff fast but my very first post I thought I finally had it right... nope still not and the members got into a fight about it and I felt awful.

Newbies please get rid of your Dragon strand medium atrium it is not 48 inches tall or 24 deep and replace it with the a 2x2x4.

Thank god it was ordered and not in its build cycle yet so I was able to get in on the brand new build for the Medium tall atrium which is wider then what was recommended and fit all other parameters I was given lol.

Well I corrected stuff fast but my very first post I thought I finally had it right... nope still not and the members got into a fight about it and I felt awful.

Newbies please get rid of your Dragon strand medium atrium it is not 48 inches tall or 24 deep and replace it with the a 2x2x4.

Thank god it was ordered and not in its build cycle yet so I was able to get in on the brand new build for the Medium tall atrium which is wider then what was recommended and fit all other parameters I was given lol.
While I would agree that the Medium Tall is a better cage because of the size, the Medium Atrium has been used, and continues to be used successfully, for panther chameleons. (I assume you are talking about panther chameleons) It is all in the design of the interior and the placement of the cage. The standard advice of 2' x 2' x 4' is fine advice, but is nowhere near gospel. Did I miss a thread where I needed to add some insight? If I was asked which cage I would recommend I would definitely go for the Medium Tall or the Large Atrium, but to say that the Medium is to be "gotten rid of"? That is going too far. You can create the necessary gradients in that size cage.

While I would agree that the Medium Tall is a better cage because of the size, the Medium Atrium has been used, and continues to be used successfully, for panther chameleons. (I assume you are talking about panther chameleons) It is all in the design of the interior and the placement of the cage. The standard advice of 2' x 2' x 4' is fine advice, but is nowhere near gospel. Did I miss a thread where I needed to add some insight? If I was asked which cage I would recommend I would definitely go for the Medium Tall or the Large Atrium, but to say that the Medium is to be "gotten rid of"? That is going too far. You can create the necessary gradients in that size cage.
Hi Bill! This was for my Veiled Beman. I am glad I got the Medium tall because he loves it and is extremely active. I much prefer the wider formats you offer as well and I can tell he does. This gives him the ability to actually move into different temperature gradients on the basking level. But this was back in December and I emailed you and you were wonderful as usual and told me about your brand new Medium Tall atrium you were working on. You let me switch my order :)

Hi Bill! This was for my Veiled Beman. I am glad I got the Medium tall because he loves it and is extremely active. I much prefer the wider formats you offer as well and I can tell he does. This gives him the ability to actually move into different temperature gradients on the basking level. But this was back in December and I emailed you and you were wonderful as usual and told me about your brand new Medium Tall atrium you were working on. You let me switch my order :)
Yes, I am glad you made that switch. The more space the better! But to this thread is saying that people should get rid of something that was a mistake. The 2x2x4 foot recommendation is historical advice back when the only other option was 18"x18"x36" which is too small for any of the common species as adults (except for a female pardalis). So 2x2x4 became engrained as the necessary cage, but that really isn't true. And, really, I released the Medium Tall Atrium because I think 2' wide is actually too small.
The dimensions for the Medium Atrium were developed around the minimum dimensions that a standard sized chameleon could be housed in. They were tested and all I can say is that they work if the inside is put together properly. If someone has a choice then definitely go bigger to the Medium Tall Atrium or even the Large Atrium. But it remains that the Medium Atrium is a cage that works just fine.
I am glad you made the change and I think it was the right choice, but I have to speak up if this thread is for things that were "all wrong".

Man, do you have some sort of sense we're not aware of that makes you appear anytime a dragonstrand is even hinted at? Lol.

Yes, I am glad you made that switch. The more space the better! But to this thread is saying that people should get rid of something that was a mistake. The 2x2x4 foot recommendation is historical advice back when the only other option was 18"x18"x36" which is too small for any of the common species as adults (except for a female pardalis). So 2x2x4 became engrained as the necessary cage, but that really isn't true. And, really, I released the Medium Tall Atrium because I think 2' wide is actually too small.
The dimensions for the Medium Atrium were developed around the minimum dimensions that a standard sized chameleon could be housed in. They were tested and all I can say is that they work if the inside is put together properly. If someone has a choice then definitely go bigger to the Medium Tall Atrium or even the Large Atrium. But it remains that the Medium Atrium is a cage that works just fine.
I am glad you made the change and I think it was the right choice, but I have to speak up if this thread is for things that were "all wrong".
I understand.. at the time the cage would not have been best for my boy long term. I did not know when I ordered it that I could reach out to you personally to get exact feedback for what to buy. Something great that you offer that you can’t get elsewhere with other cage companies. Thanks for making spectacular enclosures that are designed for the needs of our Chameleons!

Man, do you have some sort of sense we're not aware of that makes you appear anytime a dragonstrand is even hinted at? Lol.
Either I am being talked about more than usual lately or else I have missed a whole lot! I have been trying to get more people to shift to chameleon forums from other social media outlets because I think this platform serves our community better than anything else out there so I have been around here a little more. Facebook is great to draw people in, but it isn't a good long term place for people to stay. I am trying to find ways to let them find the community through Facebook and then "graduate" to the forums.
I usually take the hands off approach and let people talk as they do about any other company, but every now and then I may as well share my perspective.

Anyone buy the wrong supplements?
I bought 3 different ones... then bought all Arcadia... then bought two repashy ones for vit a and both were wrong.. bought preformed A gelcaps then freaked about overdosing. now using repashy calcium plus lod... like every time I thought I had it right it was wrong then thought it was right and did not have vit A... I reached out via email to major companies but no one would give me advice for what would work with what I was currently using since it was not their brand... let’s just say supplements are my least favorite thing to try and figure out.

I filled the whole bottom of my cage with moist substrate because the lady at petsmart told me it was a must. I started doing research and read so many places to get rid of substrate ASAP. So the very next day I got to clean out all the nasty substrate. Such a waste, it wound up going everywhere. Thank you PetsMart. Never took their advice again & made a whole ‘cham facts’ notebook from this forum group. So, thanksssss guys! (Still learning new things every day, even after a year of being chameleon mom)

Back
Top Bottom