Non sticky tongue

I don't know if it is supposed to be normal but does the chameleon chose when it wants its tongue to stick or not?

When I feed mine by hand, she gets very responsive. However sometimes she misses the target once or twice, before finally getting it. But it's not because she shoots somewhere else, she gets the target perfectly well, yet it doesn't seem to stick to her tongue.

When I feed her in a cup, she takes them all no problem without missing (I think).

Also, canned insects don't seem to stick to the tongue either.

It never did this with my other chameleon.

Any ideas?

I don't know if it is supposed to be normal but does the chameleon chose when it wants its tongue to stick or not?

When I feed mine by hand, she gets very responsive. However sometimes she misses the target once or twice, before finally getting it. But it's not because she shoots somewhere else, she gets the target perfectly well, yet it doesn't seem to stick to her tongue.

When I feed her in a cup, she takes them all no problem without missing (I think).

Also, canned insects don't seem to stick to the tongue either.

It never did this with my other chameleon.

Any ideas?
Here's my theory. (No actual evidence though) When my cham is eating in his cup I hear a loud thump as his to tongue hit's the bottom of the cup. My thought is that it sticks better when pressed on to the target.
(Kinda like when you push tape down onto a box.)

Here's my theory. (No actual evidence though) When my cham is eating in his cup I hear a loud thump as his to tongue hit's the bottom of the cup. My thought is that it sticks better when pressed on to the target.
(Kinda like when you push tape down onto a box.)

So you think that she doesn't focus enough? Or that maybe she doesn't really want it?

I've wondered if a too slippery target could cause it...

Basically large 3/4 banded crickets and hornworms, sometimes silkworms (but they're kinda small for her. She's a 661grams Meller).

I gave a try to Exo Terra XL grasshoppers canned with also Silk Worms cocoons and she doesn't seem to be able to catch them at all. Her tongue shot is so powerful that she breaks the prey in pieces but it doesn't stick. I have to push them near her lips so that she would give a bite to it.

Sometimes she kills crickets like that too while they don't stick.

I am not I swear. XD

She even can bring my fingers toward her if she wants when her tongue sticks to them. She's super strong.

I am not I swear. XD

She even can bring my fingers toward her if she wants when her tongue sticks to them. She's super strong.

Okay, but thats weird if it can stick to your fingers, but now that she eats. It might be the amount of calcium on the crickets that makes the crickets slippery

I will try to dust a little less then.

Yet, she still does this with hornworms and any other things that I don't dust.

Just wondered if it was something to worry about or not because I've never seen this from my other chams. They never miss, except her.

She might be under hydrated, too. Dehydration is often pointed at with an unsticky tongue. Is she shooting and totally missing? Floppy tongue, or issues with tongue control? That could be a sign of a nutritional imbalance, like not enough calcium. We have several other members with mellers. You might compare notes with them on watering and supplementation. Just a few thoughts.

She might be under hydrated, too. Dehydration is often pointed at with an unsticky tongue. Is she shooting and totally missing? Floppy tongue, or issues with tongue control? That could be a sign of a nutritional imbalance, like not enough calcium. We have several other members with mellers. You might compare notes with them on watering and supplementation. Just a few thoughts.
Really ?

Strange because I've shown her urates about a few weeks ago and I've both got tell here and by my vet that she was super well hydrated. Her eyes are all round as well. Urates don't show any lack of hydratation, no pale tongue nor mouth full of saliva.

I haven't changed my misting habits either.

There's a lot of strength in her tongue. She shoots straight a the prey and doesn't miss, only she doesn't bring it back or destroys it unpurposedly in my hand. :/

She manages to get them. But rarely at her first shot.

I'll get to ask somebody about their hydratation as I know these chams love water. Might be something about this.

Thanks for the tips and ideas !

Last edited:
Really ?

Strange because I've shown her urates about a few weeks ago and I've both got tell here and by my vet that she was super well hydrated. Her eyes are all round as well. Urates don't show any lack of hydratation, no pale tongue nor mouth full of saliva.

I haven't changed my misting habits either.

There's a lot of strength in her tongue. She shoots straight a the prey and doesn't miss, only she doesn't bring it back or destroys it unpurposedly in my hand. :/

She manages to get them. But rarely at her first shot.

I'll get to ask somebody about their hydratation as I know these chams love water. Might be something about this.

Thanks for the tips and ideas !

She might have bad eyesight or to much calcium

Really ?

Strange because I've shown her urates about a few weeks ago and I've both got tell here and by my vet that she was super well hydrated.

I'm definitely not a mellers expert, so it was really just a few thoughts. Something to consider since they do like so much water. Chronic low level "underhydration", not necessarily full dehydration, is something to worry about.

If you haven't changed your mistking habits, had your mellers changed her routine? Is she basking in a new soot or not staying near the water as much as she used to?

This might be something with calcium indeed... I dust her crickets almost every days except one. I don't give D3 every days tho. Will try to give less to see.

And yes, she does bask at another spot and even sleeps at a new one. Is this abnormal?

And yes, she does bask at another spot and even sleeps at a new one. Is this abnormal?

Not abnormal, just trying to think of changes in routine that might correlate with the start of the issue. I'm not convinced that all chams are "smart" enough to move from what they consider a primer spot for basking or territory defense if the conditions aren't quite optimal. Or the travel time might mean a shorter time she sits in the water.

Do you free range? If you said, I missed it, sorry. I'm just wondering if she has changed her preferred spot in the free range and is getting less access to misting sessions than previously because of it. Only you can know, so it might be something to look at.

Also, had your ambient humidity dropped recently? This has been the first real winter month for us this season, and having the heat cranked really kills our. humidity. It makes my mouth and nose dry, even when I drink a lot of water.

Again, just something to consider.

I have her since July and she always did this. Never thought it was very problematic only 6 months later and still doing it, I thought it was strange. :/

By free range, you mean space out of cage? If so, she doesn't leave her cage very much. She seems to prefer to stay in, even though I offer her more space. She has a 4feetx4feetx2feet atasuki enclosure. She has three misting sessions per day for a bunch of time.

I haven't notice any changes in her humidity. I have a fogger that works for 2 hours every other 4 hours (or less it's way too humid). It stays between 60 (when almost dry) to 80. But there sure is a change in ambient humidity in my house and outside. I live in Canada and our winters are very dry.

Generally I would point to a deficiency in some vitamin or calcium. Since you are dusting regularly, what type of bulb are you using for UVB? Has it been changed?
My thought is that it sticks better when pressed on to the target.
This shouldn't be necessary for chameleons to catch their prey.

one time when i was hand feeding a cricket i held on too tight and when my cham shot he took the cricket and i had 2 cricket legs in my hand.. id try not holding on too tight

Generally I would point to a deficiency in some vitamin or calcium. Since you are dusting regularly, what type of bulb are you using for UVB? Has it been changed?

It's an Exo Terra SolarGlo 160w. I have it since last May but got told by the Exo Terra sales representative that I can extend it to at least 10 months easily without worry. But you're putting me in doubt. Should I change it?

one time when i was hand feeding a cricket i held on too tight and when my cham shot he took the cricket and i had 2 cricket legs in my hand.. id try not holding on too tight

I've already said I don't hold them too tight. Sometimes she manages to catch my fingers and can bring my hand toward her. She can get a cricket no problem. I've tried again today and she shoots at the cricket. It just doesn't stick and she sends it away under the strength of her tongue.

Back
Top Bottom