No urates? Potential dehydration problem?

EChip

Hello,
Earlier this month I created a post about how my male panther chameleon was refusing to poo. After nearly two weeks, he finally went. It was very big (as expected), but the most noticible thing was that the urate was orange. In the past they have been white, but this was a long and orange urate. This had confirmed my thinking of that he was dehydrated, as I have never seen him drink from the leaves that I mist. I also have a dripper and he used to drink from that when I first got him, but I dont see him drink from that any more. The only way I ever see him drink is that when I am spraying his enclosure, I will direct the nozzle towards his mouth and he will open his mouth and let the water be sprayed in until he doesnt want anymore. I offer this to him every time I spray his enclosure (which is around 5-6 times a day),but there's days where he will outright refuse to drink. I've tried upping the dripper to drip at a faster rate as well as spraying more often, but so far nothing. Around 4 days after the last poo, I saw a small poo on the floor but this time there was no urate. I checked around his enclosure but couldn't see it. I dont really know how else to hydrate him, I heard that silkworms are good but I cant seem to find anywhere that sells them in the uk. His eyes aren't sunken in either. Would waxworms be a good alternative? Are there any other ideas for giving him water? Should I be taking him to the vet?

10 month old Male Panther Chameleon
Cage: Reptibreeze XL (61X61X122 CM) Mesh Cage
100w Arcadia D3 UV Basking Lamp
80w Ceramic Heater
Basking Temp: 28-29C
Ambient Temp: 23-24C
Humidity: 50-60%
Feed: 3-4 4th instar crickets every day
Crickets are gutloaded with cabbage, carrots, lettuce etc
Crickets dusted with vitamin supplement 3-4 times every week
Fake plants inside enclosure
Newspaper and paper roll for substrate (he doesn't go to the floor of his enclosure

If he had that urate in his body for a while such as the two weeks mentioned it will be orange as more of the water was absorbed. Just wait for his next one and take a look at that one.

I don't know if this is part of the problem or not but cabbage and most lettuce is not good for gut loading. Your supplement schedule seems off also. Is there a reason you aren't giving calcium 6 days a week? The constipation?
I was going to suggest hornworms but you can't get those either. Have you tried showers where you put him on a plant and run the shower against the wall near him? There are ways to force feed but since he's not sunken eyed I think that would be too drastic.
I do agree with FancyRaptor that his next urate may be better. Keep an eye out for it.

Word of advice...do not spray water into his mouth...he may aspirate it and that is never a good thing.
You said you dusted with vitamins...what vitamins? Calcium is a mineral.
I explained to you about how to use it before.

Sounds like this is a problem that is getting worse...less eating...less pooping...now even less pooping and less urates. I think it's time for a visit to the vet.

Last edited:
Word of advice...do not spray water into his mouth...he may aspirate it and that is never a good thing.

Sounds like this is a problem that is getting worse...less eating...less pooping...now even less pooping and less urates. I think it's time for a visit to the vet.
He hasn't been eating less, I have lowered the amount he is eating from another keepers advice to see whether it was a problem of him eating too much and then blocking his digestive system. If I waa to put more, he would eat more. He has started passing poo, but this time there's no urate, which leaves me to believe there's a dehydration problem. The only time I ever see him drink is when I use the stream option (sort of like a syringe) from the bottle into his mouth, so I dont know how else I can get him to drink

Also, have you got a recommendation for a calcium supplement without D3 in it? Nearly every calcium supplement I see has D3 in it.

Just wanted to give an update for anyone interested, I finally found the urate. No idea where that was hidden, but fell out somewhere when I knocked a branch whilst cleaning. Nice and white too.

Back
Top Bottom