No power after Sandy!

Santi4407

I'm on Long Island I'm inland so I didn't experience the amount of devastation others did. Any advice on how my veiled n nosy be will be able to cope without power. It's gotten easily under 60 tonight and during the day we are in the basement and its hard to create Any decent type of lighting for them. Any advice or reassurance would help. I haven't really been able to do much research on it so anything would help. Thanks good luck to anyone else who is in the same situation as I.

it getting to 60 at night is fine, they like the temp drop, and can take drops down into the 50s.

any way you can move them out of the basement where it will probably be warmer?

I would suggest getting a big sheet, and alot of heat packs.

what i did was tape the heat packs to the top and top part of the sides, then wrapped the sheet around the sides and top to keep the heat from the packs in.

my chams slept the whole time, but it was warmer. (them sleeping for a day or two when its dark for them is ok.

i also took my guys into my bathroom, set them up on plants, and turned on the hot water full blast.
it was darker, but the steam heated the air, and they got some warmth from it, even with no basking light.

maybe try getting a generator?

Ok cool thanks I know my veild is a tough one just wasn't sure if my panther could handle lower than 60. And wasn't sure if sleeping that long was ok or not. Heat packs sounds good I will try that out thanks a lot hopefully it's less that the 7-10 days they're talking get our power back!

I would suggest heat packs, too. If it gets REALLY cold, and your cham doesn't mind being handled, you might warm it with your body heat... my friend doesn't have power, and they have baby tortoises... she stuck them under her shirt onto her warm belly! Haha, gives "kangaroo care" a whole new meaning...

Tomorrow will be the third day with no power to Ivy. I am very reluctant to move the whole enclosure, but we do have partial power to the house. I'm tempted to put a plant in the bathroom so she can warm up under the lights and hopefully be tempted to eat something.

Would this be best or can she manage another day without lights? The temperature is staying fairly steady around 65ish. I know with my tortoises it's dangerous for them to be warm enough for their metabolism to start up but too cool to digest food.

And if I set her up with a temporary FR in the bathroom, is UV essential or is she okay to go without for another day or two? Just want to feed my baby girl!

Tomorrow will be the third day with no power to Ivy. I am very reluctant to move the whole enclosure, but we do have partial power to the house. I'm tempted to put a plant in the bathroom so she can warm up under the lights and hopefully be tempted to eat something.

Would this be best or can she manage another day without lights? The temperature is staying fairly steady around 65ish. I know with my tortoises it's dangerous for them to be warm enough for their metabolism to start up but too cool to digest food.

And if I set her up with a temporary FR in the bathroom, is UV essential or is she okay to go without for another day or two? Just want to feed my baby girl!

hopefully she's health enough to live through the stress!!! I hope you guys make it through this horrible time..it takes some time to develope MBD..I think she'll be ok??

the chams will be fine without uvb for a few days.

my chams have all gone at some point about a week without uvb bulbs when they all blew and i was waiting on my shipment to come in.

no one has mbd.

Thank you Camimom! How critical is food and heat? I'm assuming it's not a good idea to give one without the other.

Thank you Camimom! How critical is food and heat? I'm assuming it's not a good idea to give one without the other.

as long as they arent super cold, i would give them a couple bugs.
not as much as you normally feed, but a few bugs, espeically if they are babies or juvies.

if they are full adults, and ate within the last 2-3 days, you can probably go a day or two more without feeding them, so long as they have water.

She hasn't been fed in almost a week, she's 8 months. I'm hand-misting at the moment. I wish she liked physical security as much as my burrowing snake and dragon, I'd happily add her to my bra pouch!

She hasn't been fed in almost a week, she's 8 months. I'm hand-misting at the moment. I wish she liked physical security as much as my burrowing snake and dragon, I'd happily add her to my bra pouch!

then i would feed her if she will eat.
ah the bra pouch, many an animal of mine has spent time there. lol.

Gave her a fairly chunky hornworm, which she was pleased to see! Held her close for a while, which she was less impressed about, but I couldn't bear to see her black any more.

She's chilling in some flowers in a vase at the moment, figure even daylight through glass is going to help keep her spirits up.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351781781754.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351781781754.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 105
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351781792523.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351781792523.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 84
even sun through the window is good for her to get warm, the window can maginify the rays to get it warmer for her.

Thank you! She took down an even chunkier hornworm before resisting all my attempts to warm her up. Hopefully she had enough heat to help her digest. I put the dragon in my bra pouch for a bit to help him out, and gave him a warm bath and a manicure. Couldn't persuade him to eat anything, but hopefully he's a bit happier now too.

How is everyone else holding up?

Just found out we should get our power back on around the 11th-12th November. I really do need to sort out something for my scaly babies! Can Ivy do without UVB until then or should I rig something up? Trying to think of a workable way to set up a FR or good-sized enclosure near one of the two electrical outlets that still have power.

Hi- I didn't read all the posts, but we just went through this with our chameleon and dragon. Our power went back on yesterday morning though. The dragon will cuddle up under your clothes, but the chams will have no part of that! I took my cham's ficus, put him on it in the bathroom, and ran hot showers to keep the room warm for him. That's if you have gas hot water. I'm sorry, but I didn't see if you do or not.

ETA: Oops..I see camimom already gave you this advice. Well...it works!

Still no power n fairly chilly i was able to move my veiled on a plant n get her by a window all day she brightened up n even ate after that. She's a really tough one. I was gonna try to rotate the two but my nosy is a serious nomad he refuses to stay in one place he's everywhere! That didn't work out. So I'm just gonna leave her there permanently until the power comes back. Couldn't grab any heat packs so the stove is on n off for my panther the cage is not to far from it an at night Im can wrap a quilt around the cage if it drops too low. Other than that they seem good. Like I said my veiled seemed relieved instantly to get by the window with some light my nosy just seems clueless though n calls his nights early but on the other hand he doesnt care to eat. He will be ok enough though I'm sure. I primarily wasn't too sure if the extra sleeping was good or not. Trillian good luck to you hopefully power comes back soon!! all we can do is do our best to cope for ourselves and our pets and consider ourselves fortunate to not have been left like many others out there. I haven't seen much news but why I have seen looks terrible!

We have power! Santi, where on LI are you? Happy to meet somewhere and cham-sit until you get sorted?

Anyone else local need any help? I have power and plenty of space, and plenty of time to care.

I'm so relieved we have power, we are in the minority in the village, and in most of Westchester. Plus gas lines are over an hour's wait at the moment, many are restricting people to just $20 of gas.

Got my power back! The chams doing good. Trillian thank you for offering! Happy to get the heat n lights back but feel terrible for the many who lost so much!

Back
Top Bottom