No horns?

Mkelso

The chameleon I bought about a month ago was labeled as a Jackson Chameleon. Every picture I've seen of them they have horns. Mine does not, is that because some do and some don't?

If it is the chameleon pictured in your Profile Pic, then it is because you have a female xantholophus. I have seen a few female xantholophus with a rostral horn, but the majority do not.

I wish I had teachers that were cool enough to have chameleons in the classroom. The kids must love you!
Aww thanks! They got to pick the pet, and knew it was my favorite lizard. I teach high school special education and my students are just so thoughtful. They have had a blast feeding, and checking the temperature. I even have a few students with limited mobility who are able to use the mister , so everyone gets to help out.

Aww thanks! They got to pick the pet, and knew it was my favorite lizard. I teach high school special education and my students are just so thoughtful. They have had a blast feeding, and checking the temperature. I even have a few students with limited mobility who are able to use the mister , so everyone gets to help out.

That is amazing! What you do for those kids is the best thing in the whole world IMO. They are the purest representation of humanity in my books. I don't know you, but you have my complete admiration. If you ever need anything for your classroom chameleon, send me a PM.

That is amazing! What you do for those kids is the best thing in the whole world IMO. They are the purest representation of humanity in my books. I don't know you, but you have my complete admiration. If you ever need anything for your classroom chameleon, send me a PM.
That is very kind of you and I totally agree! Best people ever :)! I noticed you live in Texas, I was bored and raised there, so your awesomeness makes sense ! I'll for sure keep you in mind ! I've had lots of questions come up.

It is! Well it seems that the class miss named her then! We will have to change Señor Jalopeno to Señorita Jalopena! :) Thanks!
Just to be absolutely clear, xantholophus is a Jackson's Chameleon, Trioceros Jacksonii Xantholophus. Not sure if that point was understood or not. She's a good looking lady, too!

I used to para for a special ed class. Man I loved that job. Most inspirational work I think I've ever had. I bet they love that chameleon!

I used to para for a special ed class. Man I loved that job. Most inspirational work I think I've ever had. I bet they love that chameleon!
They do! The chameleon has been a wonderful addition to our classroom and the students love watching her climb and feed. I just need to figure out if there is a way to keep her at school over the weekends. I've been having to take her home every Friday.

Just to be absolutely clear, xantholophus is a Jackson's Chameleon, Trioceros Jacksonii Xantholophus. Not sure if that point was understood or not. She's a good looking lady, too!
Thanks for making sure :) I love this website! Everyone is so helpful. :)

Why have you been having to take her home? If you get an automatic mister you shouldn't need to. (You can also set it to have longer mistings so she gets plenty of water, but less often so your students can still mist her safely) also she doesn't need to be fed everyday. Two days is perfectly normal for adults. If you put her basking light on a timer she should be fine.

Why have you been having to take her home? If you get an automatic mister you shouldn't need to. (You can also set it to have longer mistings so she gets plenty of water, but less often so your students can still mist her safely) also she doesn't need to be fed everyday. Two days is perfectly normal for adults. If you put her basking light on a timer she should be fine.
I have the lights on the timer, and I'm saving for the mister as well as finding out how to even put it in her set up, it's a chameleon cantina (donated), she is 5 months old, would she be ok with not being fed for 2 days?

She looks older than five months to me, she looks at least 8 months possibly more. Jackson's grow extremely slow, if she was five months she would still be rather small. I would say with her body condition she is fine without food for two days. Do you have a feeding cup at all? They work great if you are leaving and just want some extra calories when you do.

She is from head to body about 5 inches and about 9 inches including her tail. The pet store said she was 4 months when I bought her a month ago, but they also said they didn't know the gender and it seems like everyone here knew immediately so thanks for letting me know she is older , this site has been so great for me . I did a ton of reading and research, but a lot of it is almost learn as you go! Lol

She is likely wild caught depending on the pet store you bought her from, and whether they could tell you the breeder name etc. Which means they were likely guessing at her age based on other chameleons they have. If she was four months she would probably still be three inches in body length and have much less body weight. Jackson's take FOREVER to grow XD it often makes people worry about a totally healthy chameleon not getting enough food or being sick.

Back
Top Bottom