No giggity...

wheresstimpy

This is mildly frustrating... but after what seems like forever for my pair of ambanjas to reach appropriate breeding age and weight, i pulled the divider out between their cages today only to find the exact opposite of what i expected. I thought for sure that my male would be all over her and she would be hostile about it. But after a few minutes of no barrier, my female lightened up and turned a nice rosy peach color and my male just ran around the cage enjoying the newly doubled space(2x4x4), never making any moves on the lady... he checked out her plants more than her. At the end of the day i separated them again, whats the deal, think he likes boys(i would have bought two males had i known and saved myself some hassle with the girl...)?

any suggestions...?

I don't have any advice, unfortunately; my little male ambilobe is the same way. No interest in the ladies or any sort of breeding activity. Maybe he just needs time. I was told to spoil him with food for a bit and try again, also to put them outside on a good sunny day and see what happens. Good luck!

....also, have any pics? I really like ambanjas. :D

I don't have any advice, unfortunately; my little male ambilobe is the same way. No interest in the ladies or any sort of breeding activity. Maybe he just needs time. I was told to spoil him with food for a bit and try again, also to put them outside on a good sunny day and see what happens. Good luck!

....also, have any pics? I really like ambanjas. :D
i will take some new ones tomorrow and post them, i have had the camera pointed at my snakes latley(i go through phases)... im really bummed, i think they would make great looking babies. He used to go absolutely crazy for her when he would see her by accident(she was too young), now i dont even get so much as a head bob

wheresstimpy, awesome thread title hahah. If your around throughout the day, i would keep them together as long as you can until something happens. Ive had a pair together for 7 or 8 days until i witnessed copulation, and eventually rejection of the male. If you continue to introduce him to her on and off while she is receptive, she'll eventually get sick of the wait and cycle an infertile clutch most likely. Good luck, and keep up posted with you efforts.

Also i noticed your in Cali, try taking them outdoors and placing them in a bush or small tree, sometimes the outdoors is enough to trigger a male to realize what hes supposed to do.

i had the same problem with my nosy be, but i have solved the problem putting a mirror in the male terrarium for a couple of hours a day.
the week after when i put the female in the male terrariun he immediately jumped on her:)

What age are they?
i have had them for about 5 months, according to the receipt i am looking at from the seller (i hope its accurate) the male should be 10 months, and the female 9 months. Which may or may not be too young for these particular chams to breed. As of Wednesday the male, Clyde, is 104g and the female, Bonnie, is 65g.

i had the same problem with my nosy be, but i have solved the problem putting a mirror in the male terrarium for a couple of hours a day.
the week after when i put the female in the male terrariun he immediately jumped on her:)
really, what purpose was the mirror serving? its worth a try i suppose. But he really doesnt mind the mirror, or me, or anything to tell you the truth.

i have had them for about 5 months, according to the receipt i am looking at from the seller (i hope its accurate) the male should be 10 months, and the female 9 months. Which may or may not be too young for these particular chams to breed. As of Wednesday the male, Clyde, is 104g and the female, Bonnie, is 65g.

wait for another 3 months or so...
At least until the female is 1 year old.

wheresstimpy, awesome thread title hahah.

Also i noticed your in Cali, try taking them outdoors and placing them in a bush or small tree, sometimes the outdoors is enough to trigger a male to realize what hes supposed to do.
thanks i thought i was funny for a minute there too, lol
but unfortunately the whole outdoors thing isnt going to be possible for us, i wish i could but they would be too cold, eaten or stolen in no time at all...

i will continue on with them together for the rest of the week. ill keep you posted.

wait for another 3 months or so...
At least until the female is 1 year old.

really, thanks for the advise, i keep getting different ages/weights from different people/books. If something doesnt happen soon i will put this off for a few months and try again.

years ago i bred a pair similar ages and weights with great success, but every cham is different, and blossom(old cham) was a trooper, she put out some of the largest cham clutches ive ever seen, and i had no idea what i was doing husbandry wise.

Seriously, she is a bit small and young, I would wait a few more months. Cycling eggs at this age really zaps the calcium out of still growing bones and shortens their lifespan.

Call me crazy but i feel that a 65g female that is not gravid is a very respectable size and not to small at all.

-Nic

If it isn't happening, wait a month or two. It can only be better for her at a later time. She is still growing.

Back
Top Bottom