No concerns, just making sure ziggy is healthy

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled male, 7-8 months old. Owned for 6 months
Handling - Very rarely. Only when cleaning.
Feeding - Fed super worms and crickets mainly. Some veggies that he doesn't seem to eat. Fed once a day in the morning. Approximately 10-15 crickets. 5-8 superworms
Supplements - Dust crickets every other week, never dust the worms. And multivitamin once a month.
Watering - Cage has a automatic mister, mists 3 times a day for 2 mins. Have a dripper just in case.
Fecal Description - Solid, dark brown almost black poo, with whatever the white stuff is being very white and sorta like a soquid (solid and liquid)
History - no history, I'm the first owner, bought from flchams

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen custom cage, 4.5 feet tall, 4 feet long and 2 feet deep.
Lighting - Using national georgraphic 100w basking bulbs, 50w no light emitting night lights, and retptisun uvb 5.0. Two of them. Daylight 12 hours. Night 12 hours.
Temperature - cage average temp is 73, basking spot is 90-95, floor is in the 60's. At night it drops to the low 60's. Without the lights low 50's. Use a thermometer and hydrometer from exo terra and a inferred gun.
Humidity - humidity fluctuates from 40% up to 90% once the misters come on. It's mists 3 times daily for 2 minutes each mist
Plants - Cage contains 7 live plants. Two weeping figs, two umbrella plants, one orchid, and two pothos plants.
Placement - In a living room with no traffic but to check on him, his top of the cage is 7 feet with the bottom of his living area being 2 feet off the ground. Cage is resting on a custom built cabinet as well.
Location - Located slightly north of Atlanta, Georgia.

Current Problem - No current problem that concerns me. Just making sure all is right. This is my first chameleon so want to make sure he is the healthiest and best conditions.

Pictures are helpful

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 109
I follow this caresheet https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

1. Basking temps might be high for his age, 85-90 is what I think it says.
2. Dust calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks
3. The white stuff in his poop is called urates, read this thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/poop-101-a-120171/
4. I don't think you need a night lights, I would check to make sure he is sleeping and they aren't bothering him.
5. Don't forget about gutloading your feeders.

I'm no expert but the guide posted above is what everyone seems to follow. As for his overall health, it is hard to see him in the picture, he does have a lovely casque.

I follow this caresheet https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

1. Basking temps might be high for his age, 85-90 is what I think it says.
2. Dust calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks
3. The white stuff in his poop is called urates, read this thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/poop-101-a-120171/
4. I don't think you need a night lights, I would check to make sure he is sleeping and they aren't bothering him.
5. Don't forget about gutloading your feeders.

I'm no expert but the guide posted above is what everyone seems to follow. As for his overall health, it is hard to see him in the picture, he does have a lovely casque.

He says the night lights are non light emitting, so i'm guessing they're the ceramic heating ones.

Thanks for the responses! His temps are a little higher then they should be but if I use anything lower then a 100w bulb the basking areas are way to low so I stuck with the 100w. Doesn't seem to burning and he has PLENTY of areas to go to, to thermoregulate. The night lights aren't ceramic (what I plan on purchasing soon) but don't emit that blueish moon light that most night lights have. And I gut load my crickets so I'm good on that note:) The fluckers orange cubes is what I use with some left over vegetables listed in the forums for gut loading is the usual. Does anyone have any tips on getting him to be friendly and not run for his life when I open his cage? Would love if he would just get along with me:(!

Regarding the lights again he usually is asleep within an hour of daytime lights turning off and he always seems to be right under one of the two night lights I have set up for him. He seems to choose to be near them so that's why I haven't gotten rid of them even tho it's been recommended to do so.

Thanks for the responses! His temps are a little higher then they should be but if I use anything lower then a 100w bulb the basking areas are way to low so I stuck with the 100w. Doesn't seem to burning and he has PLENTY of areas to go to, to thermoregulate. The night lights aren't ceramic (what I plan on purchasing soon) but don't emit that blueish moon light that most night lights have. And I gut load my crickets so I'm good on that note:) The fluckers orange cubes is what I use with some left over vegetables listed in the forums for gut loading is the usual. Does anyone have any tips on getting him to be friendly and not run for his life when I open his cage? Would love if he would just get along with me:(!

You don't really want to be going any higher than 90 for a veiled your age for a basking temp.... instead of changing the bulb, lower the tallest branch where he can bask so that he can't get any closer to the light.

I live in the UK and it is COLD here at the moment. I have an XL reptibreeze for my 13 month old veiled and I used a 150 watt basking bulb, but I make sure that when he sitting on his branch, the highest temp is 90.

I actually have two basking spots, but the other lamp only has a 60 watt bulb in it, so much cooler to bask, but having two heat bulbs shining into the cage raises the ambient temp so that there are no cold spots.

As far as getting him friendly.... unfortunately male Veiled can be the p*ssiest lizards to own.... I love mine to bits (he is also called Ziggy - hence my username) but he is terrible - if I get to close to him at all he puffs up, gapes, hisses and sometimes lunges at me. I can get him out if I have to, but it takes some doing without being bitten, so I leave him alone, unless he absolutely has to come out, for a vet visit for example. I tried everything when he was younger - leaving him alone, hand feeding, you name it. No. He just isn't a people lizard, but he is happy and healthy so I am happy to.

I have a male Panther who is Mr Chilled and completely different so I think sometimes you just have to accept that they are the way they are, with different personalities.

Last edited:
Just moved his branch down a couple inches and the temp is showing right at 85-90 now so thanks for the tip! And yea I've read that they're just pissy little fellas so it doesn't bother me. Would just appreciate him to be one of the photogenic guys I see on here lol. This was my first chameleon and I already plan on getting a panther at some point in the future so it's good to hear they might be a bit chiller with humans. Ziggy is just the best name. Thought I was being original until joining this forum, probably one of if not the most popular name lol:(

Back
Top Bottom